• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

leaking hub

Bushwacker

I have an oil leak on a 78 bombi at the hub on the right hand side. anyone know if its just a gasket or an oil seal that could be replaced ?
I took the tension off the track but havent got the hub/axle out yet.

Bushwacker

ok got the hub off and made a new gasket. track tensioners work well with an air grease gun. not sure about adding oil to the diff. looks like a combination of hydraulic/ diff oil sharing the same reservior and housing!!!

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
ok got the hub off and made a new gasket. track tensioners work well with an air grease gun. not sure about adding oil to the diff. looks like a combination of hydraulic/ diff oil sharing the same reservior and housing!!!

You should use Type F automatic transmission fluid if it is still factory setup
the lines you see coming and returning to the diff is just for the diff. it goes to a pump driven by the driveshaft that runs it through a filter and returns it to the diff. some cooling is seen by this loop.:)

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter

Be carefull when you choose to use a powered grease gun on these cylinders
we have a unit in the shop right now that belongs to US fish and wildlife that we are repairing because they overtightened the adjusters to the point they
bent the rear axles. to much track tension robs HP and causes premature wear on the sprockets, hard on the rear bearings,axles, and will cause the belts to stretch. if your belts on any machine get stretched to far then your pitch at the front sprocket is wrong and you start to have wear on your sprocket.:pat:

Bushwacker

:thumb: Thanks for the info; I left the same amount of slack in the tracks as was previous to the repair job. I wasn't to sure about the hydraulic pump as the belt had been broken off when i purchased the machine. The hyd.lines and filter are still in place so i think I'll install an new belt and filter and try the type F trans fluid. It seems like the hydraulic lines are connected together behind the engine at the bottom of the radiator. Was there some sort of cooling or heat exchanger on these units?

old yeller

If it is like our BR100 there is a plug on the left side of the diff box when looking aft. It has a square drive think 3/8. And there is a plug similar on the bottom of the diff box. I believe ya fill the one on the side like any other dif til it can't fill no more.

Bushwacker

Thanks for the info -i saw the plug on the left but as I was loosening it felt like something else was connected to this inside the diff. I'll give it a try.:thumb: