• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Snow Cats & Ski Lifts

Lyndon

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
PEAK 2 PEAK GondolaHome Experience Videos Photo Gallery Webcam Details

Did You Know
The total distance the gondola will travel from one mountain to the other is 4.4km.

More Information
Technical details
Speed
7.5 meters per second.

Ride Time
approximately 11 min.

Frequency
one cabin departs every 49 seconds

Total Distance
4.4km/2.73miles (straight line)

Length of Unsupported Span
3.024km/1.88 miles (straight line between the two towers that are furthest apart)

Highest Point
above the ground is 436m/1427 feet over Fitzsimmons Creek

Number of Cabins

Capacity of Cabins
22 seated, 6 standing

Capacity
2050 people per hour each way

Number of Towers
4 (2 on Blackcomb and 2 on Whistler)

Height of Towers
35-65 meters/100-213 feet

Track Ropes
the two stationary ropes that the cabin rides upon-each rope is 56mm in diameter. Total length of the track rope with the sag is 4600m

Haul Rope
the single rope that pulls the cars along the track ropes is 46mm in diameter. Total length of the haul rope loop with the sag is 8850m

Environment | Safety | Construction Blog | Media
© Whistler Blackcomb 2009 - 4545 Blackcomb Way, Whistler BC, Canada V0N 1B4. - International 604.904.8134 - Toll free within North America 1.866.218.9690
View attachment PEAK 2 PEAK Gondola.doc

Blackfoot Tucker

GOLD Site Supporter
Great Thread Lyndon!!!

I grew up in northern New England and I've skied many of the areas mentioned. We got season tickets at Mt Ascutney in Vermont for several years. At that time they had a small fleet of Tuckers. I think my season ticket cost a whopping $35.00 a year!

Also skied a fair amount at Killington, Okemo, Bromley and Stratton. In college, at the University of Vermont, it wasn't all that uncommon to cut class and go to Stowe, Sugarbush or Mad River Glen. Got minor frostbite riding up the Stowe single chair one particularly cold day (should've gone to class!).

It's amazing; the advances throughout the industry, not just in terms of lift design and sno-cats, but also the better ski equipment and clothing fabrics.

Lyndon

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I'm originally from Amherst Mass, and Skiied: Killington, Okemo, Btomley, Stratton, Sugarbush, Stowe, Mad River, Glen Ellen, Maple Valley, Mt. Snow, Haystack, Round Top, Ascutney, Magic Mountain, Hogback, Something Peak right at the entrance to Killington which was later asorbed by Killington,....
Lots of these places are closed. Stowe is certainly a "World-Class" Ski area and Pre-dates almost every other ski area in North America, and Killington certainly rivals many of the greatest ski areas worldwide. These last 2 were my personal favorites.
Now that I live on the west coast I'll just have to put up with deep powder and forget about all the challenging blue concrete of New England. Warren Miller listed Sun Valley as Number One in his "Top 10", but personally I like Banff's Sunshine Village better. Lake Louise, Whistler/Blackomb, Kicking Horse, and Revelstoke are all "Up-there" on my list.
With all the madness of the OLYMPICS going on at Whistler I'll probably only ski it once early in the season, then try out some of the other outstanding BC places.
This years newest ski goals are: Piroutte's, possibly carring someone, and to take as many pictures of the various snow cat fleets as possible.
I'll probably do Snow Cat Fleet pictures of: Alyeska ski Area in Alaska, Chrystal Mountain, Washington, then Whistler, Revelstoke, Kicking Horse, Lake Louise, Sunshine Village, and Finally Schweitzer in roughly that order.

garygaboury

Strange,, I was on that lift 2 hours ago...

If you're coming back through this way in the winter send me a PM..

Gary
Whistler BC.

Laurentian

Nice thread, back from long ago..
I do live in Shawbridge ( now called Prévost ) Québec where the first tow
Lydon mentioned earlier was. I have mountain biked all over every single trail
every hill / mountain there and have never been able to figure out where the lift was exactly.
By the looks of the photo west side of the valley close to where the McDonalds is on 15N
past St-Jérôme :

remonte-pente2539.jpg

As for the Jay Peak tram I have been up it once 20 years ago, and it was quite enough.

The Mt-Gabriel ski hill where I grew up had a funky double dating the fifties.
Most small hills in the Laurentians used wound up cable t-bars.
I think Tremblant had a single chair till the eighties on the north side.

My cup of tea is XC now, skate and classic.
I would scare myself silly mogul skiing the O'Connell back then, memories...

Hugh

Last edited:

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
People into Cats must like ski lifts as well. I have two Cranmore Skimobiles and 1 Wildcat Gondola. Guess we like anything old and snowy.

One Cranmore Skimobile is available if anyone is intersted.

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
This is a great watch. Leave it to the west to screw up our great designs. Thanks to New England your Tuckers are metric! Mostly.