• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

601 Thiokol leaking radiator

John55

I must have a hole in radiator of a Thiokol 601 radiator. The cat is on top of mountain. Anyone have a good idea how to remove the radiator? Looks like access is limited

rdynes01

I must have a hole in radiator of a Thiokol 601 radiator. The cat is on top of mountain. Anyone have a good idea how to remove the radiator? Looks like access is limited

You operate a vehicle that can take you to remote locations in the most inhospitable weather possibly risking your and others lives in the process and you neglect to familiarize with the care and maintainance of the vehicle. Not good. At the very least get an owners or operators manual.

A little harsh there rdynes01? I guarantee the O&O manual is not going to tell you how to remove the radiator.:unsure:

If the 601 is anything like the 1200C the R&R of the radiator is no easy task. I was able to remove mine without taking the upper cab off but if the cab was off then the job would be a lot easier. As I recall I had to remove the heater core and defuser plate mounted in the cab and them was able to wiggle the radiator out the bottom of the frame. I had a plow mount that was somewhat in the way and I believe I had to jack the machine up to get the clearance.

Best of luck!

Last edited:

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
If I remember correctly, I went out the bottom,

the skid plate drops off and there was a surprisingly big void.

( I may have removed the fan off the pump, )

my machine had a V-8

rdynes01

A little harsh there rdynes01? I guarantee the O&O manual is not going to tell you how to remove the radiator.:unsure:

If the 601 is anything like the 1200C the R&R of the radiator is no easy task. I was able to remove mine without taking the upper cab off but if the cab was off then the job would be a lot easier. As I recall I had to remove the heater core and defuser plate mounted in the cab and them was able to wiggle the radiator out the bottom of the frame. I had a plow mount that was somewhat in the way and I believe I had to jack the machine up to get the clearance.

Best of luck!

Sorry for my "harshness" but really, after your snowcat is broken down on top of a mountain in who knows what weather is not really the time to ask others how to do something as basic as removing a radiator from your snowcat. All I'm saying is you should familiarize yourself with the basic operating systems of your cat including R&R of the systems because as we all know, these cats tend to break down out in the field during usage, not while sitting in your warm garage or up on your trailer.

undy

rdynes01,
Those same criticisms also apply to boats and airplanes too. But often the owner/operator doesn't know how to fix 'em, even if he's legally allowed to, and even if it can be fixed 'in the field'. Those too can lead to a situation where passengers are endangered. Yet nobody gripes too much about the operator being careless. They simply plan to deal with a problem, when and if it arises.

John55 obviously planned well enough to get home and log in here to ask for information (not help). Maybe he just packed skis? I'd say he was prepared enough.

You're right, we should plan for the worst. But I think expecting every operator to pull a radiator just in case he ever actually needs to know how is asking a bit much. :my2cents:

rdynes01

rdynes01,
Those same criticisms also apply to boats and airplanes too. But often the owner/operator doesn't know how to fix 'em, even if he's legally allowed to, and even if it can be fixed 'in the field'. Those too can lead to a situation where passengers are endangered. Yet nobody gripes too much about the operator being careless. They simply plan to deal with a problem, when and if it arises.

John55 obviously planned well enough to get home and log in here to ask for information (not help). Maybe he just packed skis? I'd say he was prepared enough.

You're right, we should plan for the worst. But I think expecting every operator to pull a radiator just in case he ever actually needs to know how is asking a bit much. :my2cents:

Agreed. But what I'm trying to say is not asking him to pull his radiator but at least knowing how to. Again, on a vehicle that can get you into places where skis may not help much such as in a blizzard or white out conditions. My final thing on this subject is, if you own and operate a snowcat you should know it inside and out because the alternative could be bad news.....over and out....Bob

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
I agree with the others around here I am snow cat AAA.I have flown out in helicopters and taken 50 mile trips in the trusty st-4 to do repair work for others who know nothing more than how to turn the key, usually commercial operators. lucky John is of the mind he wants to learn working in the field may just be a wake up call for him or he may be like me and it will be another day at the office. I spent the day de watering a cat excavator that fell off a barge this weekend at -5.

undy

And in all fairness to Bob, I'm here in Wis., where the longest excursion is to the back end of the farm, I'm nearly always within cell phone reception range, and the cat could sit until spring if it had to.

No offense Bob. Better to be too prepared than not enough.....over and out here too... A good evening to all!

tomelroy

It comes out the top. There is a panel that surrounds the fill cap hatch you remove to access it. One of the easiest radiators to remove in the thiokol line.

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
my 2100 looks pretty simple to remove wouldn't want to get at the lower hoses in arctic gear though. I don't think there is enough room for fat arms in a parka to do it

wesley

I fixed a broken weasel track with a come along and pieces of chain in the field. Never going to do that again, I hope. My 601 has two panels. One over the radiator, and one thin sheet metal one under. It is still a bitch to get in there and do anything. I always thought, for such a well designed machine, access to the motor is horrible. The top and bottom panels must be removed to get at the front of the motor. The shifter prevents opening the engine cover without pulling the hinge pin, which is a bitch to get back in. :w00t2:

I never go anywhere in my machine without snowshoes.

PJL

Mine broke a timing gear. Not a field fix and no I don't carry spare gears. I do have emergency heating blankets, radios and water.