• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Cost of Living - 1970

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Really .... is this accurate?

Attachments

• CostOfLiving1970.jpg
    CostOfLiving1970.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 166

mla2ofus

GOLD Site Supporter
Yep, and thanks to a bunch of politicians later taking our currency off the gold standard, this was just before rampant inflation set in which drove the price of everything up.
Mike

deand1

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
1950 living versus that of 2014
The average family income: $3,300
The average car cost: $1,510
The median home price: $7,354

The average family income: $51,017
The average car cost: $31,252
The median home price: $188,900

Inflation has always been with us boomers.

Umberto

1970 I was working for Bechtel building a nuclear power plant and had no clue how good I had it. Its still running, too.

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
And you had to replace just about the entire ignition system in your car every 12000 miles, brakes every 10-12000, tires might last 15,000, cars rarely made it past 90,000, houses were drafty, air travel was slow, not every house was air conditioned, tv remote was a clicker, and on and on. Some things were great, some things not.
If only I had bought a half dozen drop top hemi cudas.....

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
And you had to replace just about the entire ignition system in your car every 12000 miles, brakes every 10-12000, tires might last 15,000, cars rarely made it past 90,000, houses were drafty, air travel was slow, not every house was air conditioned, tv remote was a clicker, and on and on. Some things were great, some things not.
If only I had bought a half dozen drop top hemi cudas.....

Yeah we forget the bad parts sometimes
1970 I had just bought a brand new Chrysler Newport for $3,800.00, A brand new 3 bedroom two story house for $24K and a brand new speedboat for $1,000 to go with my still in the box 1969 55 HP Chrysler Outboard for which I had given $600 dollars. The 'Cuda came a year later.

Back then we had time to fix the ignition and brakes, and could actually do it OURSELVES in our own garages.

We were headed for a moon landing and the war in Nam was winding down. Life held nothing but promise and opportunity.