• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

I need a good sprinkler

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Anyone know of a good lawn sprinkler?

I dug some stumps out and then filled, planted grass...

I went to water the area.
First sprinkler I tried is one of those fan type that has several jets then waves back and forth. About 1/3 of the jets were clogged and the thing wouldn't wave back and forth as it kept getting stuck. Scrap this sprinkler.

I then got one of the ones that shoots the jet with the little flapper on the side that makes the thip-thip-thip sound. It wouldn't go back and forth properly and kept getting stuck in one position. Scrap this sprinkler.

I then found one that shoots a jet of water up into a fan looking thing (sort of what you have on a fertilizer spreader). It would only cover about a 6' diameter. Scrap this sprinkler.

I put a spray nozzle and stand there with a beer spraying the yard. It would be nice to do other things instead...

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
No sprinkler suggestion, but I've been doing the spray thing for some new grass I planted. I found I much prefer to take off the nozzle and just use my thumb to spray the water. I get much more water out quicker, and I can spray farther that way. Your mileage may vary.

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
It sounds like your thip-thip (aka Impulse) sprinkler either isn't getting enough water pressure or the springs are shot.

I have a couple of these:

http://www.gilmour.com/Watering_Hose_End/Sprinklers/MetalHeadImpulse.asp

If you are watering a large area then I recommend one of these, but you do need good water pressure:

http://www.gilmour.com/Watering_Hose_End/Sprinklers/ExtraLargeCoverage-metal.asp

I love the big guy but it is a little expensive.

On the smaller Impulse sprinklers I took off one of the range adjustment tabs and then trimmed one of the arms off the remaining one so it will go all the way around in a large pattern and then return in the smaller pattern. It gives good 360 degree coverage that way.

I don't like fan sprinklers at all.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks.

I see Lowes carries the Gilmour line so I'll go get one tonight. Since I may have a water pressure issue, I'll probably get the ones that you have.

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
Not to brag but I have really high water pressure. My frost free hydrants explode with water.

I have found that a properly working impulse sprinkler will work fine with low pressure. I often chain 2 together and still get good coverage.

If you have really low pressure then I would think the lighter plastic versions might work better as they might not require as much pressure. Just a guess though.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I have my public water set at about 60psi.

On the well, it varies from 60 down to about 45-50 (until the pump kicks back on). On the well water, the water line has a hole somewhere between the well and the house so I'm loosing some there as well.

Unless Mrs. Zoom is doing 10 loads of laundry in a day or I'm watering the yard, the well doesn't get used.

I'll see if there's any fine print on the packaging that notes water pressure requirements.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I picked up a model 967ZD which is the same or similar to what you have.

It works GREAT!!! I didn't even have to take it out of the box. All I had to do was drive into town to get one and out of nowhere (and not in the forecast), a huge storm came in and gave us a decent amount of rain. This is better than washing a car.:thumb:

OK, I'll take it out of the box tomorrow and see what it does. I may also adjust my well pump to increase the pressure if/as needed.

Hutchman

Site Supporter
Hey, I've got pretty much the same problem. Bought the fan type and it would only work if I helped it along. Then, I accidentally ran over it with the SUV. Got a Craftsman impulse type and it won't pulse. I have plenty of pressure too. Maybe I'll try the one recommended above. It doesn't look like it's ever going to rain again here in southern KY. Hutch

mtntopper

Back On Track
SUPER Site Supporter
For those of you using a well and the sprinkler does not work properly, try a hose washer with a screen filter at the sprinkler. You may be getting some dirt particles from the well that plugs up the sprinkler nozzles. The hose washer with the screen will help. I do have to clean out the hose washer screen now and then which is much easier than cleaning out the impulse sprinkler heads.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Hmmm, I see a pro and con to using a screen. As noted, it can remove particles but can it slow the water flow and cause an impulse sprinkler to not work correctly?

Actually, if I choked the intake down with a washer, do you think it would increase the pressure and make it work better? Kind of like when you put your thumb over the end to make it spray.

mtntopper

Back On Track
SUPER Site Supporter
At least with a hose washer screen you will find out if it is a pressure or dirt/silt problem that stops the sprinkler. It might be worth a try! The small screen hose washer costs much less than a new sprinkler....:thumb:

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
At least with a hose washer screen you will find out if it is a pressure or dirt/silt problem that stops the sprinkler. It might be worth a try!
I don't think it would make a difference on mine. I have a bunch of filters that are used, including the outdoor spigots.

mtntopper

Back On Track
SUPER Site Supporter
I have my public water set at about 60psi.

On the well, it varies from 60 down to about 45-50 (until the pump kicks back on).

Could your filters be the restriction to make the sprinklers malfunction?
You should check the pressure at the sprinkler. I built a pressure gauge for the hose/sprinkler end when I had a similar problem. I believe you will find a lot less pressure at the sprinkler/hose end than what your pressure gauges show which are normally located on the inlet prior to any filters. 45 PSI of water pressure will operate most sprinklers. Eliminate your restrictions and your sprinklers should operate if clean of debris/dirt.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I don't know if the filters are the restriction. I can/will bypass next time I give it a try to see if there's any difference.
As already mentioned, I may play with the pump pressure as well. When the pressure is on the high side, all is well. It's when the pressure lowers (before the pump kicks on again) that's the issue. I don't want to increase the low pressure without also raising the high pressure because the pump will then cycle on/off much too often.

kensfarm

Charter Member
SUPER Site Supporter
I'm running 2 of the "makes the thip-thip-thip sound" sprinklers off a deep well pump pulling water from the creek.. 400ft of 3/4 inch black plastic pipe.. then I connect to 5/8 garden hose. No pressure tank. I have the 220 connected to a hot water timer box. Works great.. the well pump has been sitting in the creek for the last 3 years.. never had a problem w/ clogs yet.. the well pump sits on top of rocks.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
"makes the thip-thip-thip sound" sprinklers
So, I believe we all agree that "thip-thip-thip" is a technical term or at least proper description.

It's a bit late in the day, but I tried my new one. I tried the other (Melnor, "thip-thip-thip" version) on city water at 60psi first. It still got hung up once in awhile. I tried it on well water at 50 or less PSI and it didn't have a chance.

I then tried the new one. It works on well or city water pressure with no problems. Actually, on the lower pressure well water, it can still blast farther than the Melnor.

cj7

Hey it is great that your sprinkler is now working...

Now you can just sit in a chair and take a sip of that beer everytime it comes around or changes directions...

I had sensed that holding the hose and sprying the water was cutting into your valuable drinking time....hehe...

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Hey it is great that your sprinkler is now working...

Now you can just sit in a chair and take a sip of that beer everytime it comes around or changes directions...

I had sensed that holding the hose and sprying the water was cutting into your valuable drinking time....hehe...
Thanks Rick. Did you like that rain you got yesterday? I think it's due to me going out to buy a sprinkler as it started while I was driving to get one.

I had no problems running the hose by hand and drinking a beer in the other. My son was with me so he got me the refills when needed so I didn't have to stop. :thumb:

cj7

Yeah that was a pretty intense short storm we had!

Too funny though that you were out buying the new sprinkler head.... figures it rains..LOL..

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
I just received my fall Gemplers catalog, and they have two new sprinklers you may want to take a look at.

Round pattern:
148015.jpg

and Square pattern:
148016.jpg