• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Show off your sports car here

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Since I was young I loved the two seat convertibles. I drug my dad along to test drive TR-4's and TR-3's, but I could not afford them. Just test driving was fun. My neighbor had an Austin Healey that I fell in love with, but I never found one for sale I could afford. I liked the MG's but people I knew who owned them had a hard time keeping them on the road.

I did own a Porsche 914, but it was a project car and I couldn't afford to finish the project. So the closest I had to a sports car was a little Mustang II. Don't laugh. :yum: It was fun to drive. Just a little 4 banger. :hide:

So a week ago a friend asks me if I know anyone who might be interested in some guns he has for sale from his GF's dad's estate, and they had a BMW. I said I'd take a look just for giggles. The BMW was a Z3 Roadster Convertible. :wow: I always loved these cars. Had never driven one. We took it for a drive and I fell in love. Sweet sweet sweet to drive. So now I am the proud owner of a BMW Z3 Roadster. 6 cyl 5 speed. What a fun car to drive. And from what you read above you know it's my first real sports car. I love it. I took it for a pleasure cruise today with the top down. AWESOME.

I know a lot on here have the Crossfire and I admire those but I have not seen you all post pics of them so please add your sport cars to this thread so we can all admire them.

Here are a few pics of mine:

Attachments

• BMW_z3-2.jpg
    BMW_z3-2.jpg
    567 KB · Views: 160
  • BMW_z3-3.jpg
    BMW_z3-3.jpg
    531.5 KB · Views: 162
  • BMW_z3-4.jpg
    BMW_z3-4.jpg
    513 KB · Views: 164
  • BMW_z3-5.jpg
    BMW_z3-5.jpg
    560.2 KB · Views: 184
  • BMW_z3-6.jpg
    BMW_z3-6.jpg
    555.4 KB · Views: 164
  • BMW_z3-1.jpg
    BMW_z3-1.jpg
    551.5 KB · Views: 159

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Nice car! I never did develop a taste for sports cars though. I'm more of a truck guy.
Understandable. I traded my souped up Chevelle muscle car for a truck. bad bad trade. Wish I had the chevelle back.
I still have my truck, and like it for certain things but on a sunny warm day it is so nice to drive with the top down.
Be careful not to drive a sports car Brian or you'll get the bug.

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
My 2005 Crossfire in Blaze Red Crystal Pearl. 22K on the clock and in typical German fashion, she runs like a swiss watch. Fun to drive and a real head turner.

xfire2.jpg

xfire3.jpg

xfire1.jpg

IMAG0021.jpg

IMAG0136.jpg

Last edited:

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
That is sweet TR. Mine has 106k on the clock. It's a 97. For one that old it has been well kept. Yours looks like new.

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
That is sweet TR. Mine has 106k on the clock. It's a 97. For one that old it has been well kept. Yours looks like new.

Thank you sir. Yours looks great and you can eat off that engine bay. Awesome. 106K is nothing as she has been well maintained. Just broke in. Congrats on a sweet ride.

MrLiberty

Bronze Member
Site Supporter
My one and only sports car was back in the early 70's when me and a buddy bought a Fiat spider convertable. It was orange with a black top. It was hard starting any time it got damp, but it was a blast to drive. My buddy and I took turns on weekkends, which was OK, but it was a hard car to make out in. My girlfriend at the time said it was the best birth control they ever invented.......:yum:

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
1986 190e 2.3 16v.

Also have a 1987 190 2.3 16V. Both are 5 speed dog-leg tranny's.
Looks just like the 1986, except all stock. The 86 has some DTM copied mods. Both are a blast to drive. Back in the day these guys were tearing up Nurburgring. Rare cars here in the us - something like a total of 1600 brought in.

You can see the SL in the background. I wouldn't call the SL a sports car in terms of driveability. But sure is nice in the summer.

Attachments

• DSC02068.jpg
    DSC02068.jpg
    143.4 KB · Views: 130

Galvatron

Spock and Galvatron < one and the same
Had a MGF some years back and it was my only ever investment in a sports car...got a great deal brand new due to a few contacts but it was a nightmare, Rover MG was heading in to going bust and the quality showed in the product when we picked it up,head gasket went 3 times in 5 years and we cut our loses,burnt it to the ground and moved on.

Was purchased to have fun...ended up just being the car we had to wash:hammer::hammer::hammer:

Attachments

• DSC_5259.jpg
    DSC_5259.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 127

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
The wife's Crossfire SRT6

The Mercedes AMG engine is hand built, Supercharged and aftermarket tuned to 400HP in a car that weighs 3100LBS.
The body was built and assembled by Karman.

I have a roadster version of the Crossfire with the normally aspirated engine tuned to about 280 HP with a stick shift. When asked why my wife gets the more powerful and expensive version of the car I simply show these pictures.

What would you buy her?

Last edited:

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Unfortunately I no longer own this one. The wife said "the car or me, chose."

franc-rauscher-19950-albums-member-galleries-5009-picture-tbird-1a-22570.jpg

I do miss the car. But in my defense, please refer to my previous post.

BTW,,, We had just flipped that house and decided to move in. It is the same house as the other pictures but we had remodeled it again, inside and out.

Currently on my third makeover of the same structure.

I know,,, I know,,, most people just move:whistling:
http://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...re-cathy-5a-22575.html?gnr_tab=0&ref=gnr-next
franc-rauscher-19950-albums-member-galleries-5009-picture-winter-home-1-22576.jpg

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
Had a MGF some years back and it was my only ever investment in a sports car...got a great deal brand new due to a few contacts but it was a nightmare, Rover MG was heading in to going bust and the quality showed in the product when we picked it up,head gasket went 3 times in 5 years and we cut our loses,burnt it to the ground and moved on.

Was purchased to have fun...ended up just being the car we had to wash:hammer::hammer::hammer:

I never realized they made a MG-F. It was a nice looking car. Of course they all look good in British Racing Green.

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
Unfortunately I no longer own this one. The wife said "the car or me, chose."

I do miss the car. But in my defense, please refer to my previous post.

BTW,,, We had just flipped that house and decided to move in. It is the same house as the other pictures but we had remodeled it again, inside and out.

Currently on my third makeover of the same structure.

I know,,, I know,,, most people just move:whistling:

franc-rauscher-19950-albums-member-galleries-5009-picture-winter-home-1-22576.jpg

I would have redone it without the damn snow.

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
I have a cj-5 2 seat convertible, does that count?

Attachments

• IMG_0351.jpg
    IMG_0351.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 109

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
I gotta say I am somewhat disappointed. I was expecting someone to pop in here by now with a nice fire engine red 86 Fiero.

I haven't seen one of those on the road in a dog's age. I went to try one out once, but I needed a shoe horn to get into it and that was the end of that. :yum:

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
I gotta say I am somewhat disappointed. I was expecting someone to pop in here by now with a nice fire engine red 86 Fiero. :yum:

Ok smartass, I had an 88 GT with TTops. Very rare. Fun car to drive and in fact very comfortable for long trips, like across the country from Maryland to California.

Another one I should have kept.

And prior to that, I had an 87 2M4. Was a great car until my then-5 year old son decided to be real nice and surprise us with a car wash.
He had seen me scrubbing the raised white letters with comet and a scrub brush. Yup, the whole car.

Attachments

• Driver's Side.jpg
    Driver's Side.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 107
  • DSC00708.JPG
    DSC00708.JPG
    155.1 KB · Views: 106

squerly

Supported Ben Carson
GOLD Site Supporter
I thought this thread was about cars we "have", not cars we "had".

But in keeping with the BMW that started this thread, here's my BMW M5. I was on a waiting list for over a year for this car. A 500hp V10 with seven-speed sequential manual gearbox, head up display, and luxury to boot, this was one awesome car.

All except for comfort, which sucked! Kept it for 1 year and sold it. Most uncomfortable car I have ever owned. But it had guts, that's for sure!

Attachments

• a 038.jpg
    a 038.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 108
  • a 026.jpg
    a 026.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 104
  • a 027.jpg
    a 027.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 102
  • a 043.jpg
    a 043.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 103
  • b 008.jpg
    b 008.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 101
  • b 014.jpg
    b 014.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 100
  • b 016.jpg
    b 016.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 101

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter

But in keeping with the BMW that started this thread, here's my BMW M5. I was on a waiting list for over a year for this car. A 500hp V10 with seven-speed sequential manual gearbox, head up display, and luxury to boot, this was one awesome car.

All except for comfort, which sucked! Kept it for 1 year and sold it. Most uncomfortable car I have ever owned. But it had guts, that's for sure!

I have never been in or driven a BMW where I was not thoroughly impressed. I do not recall ever being "uncomfortable."

Anyways,,, Nice wheels.

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
Ok smartass, I had an 88 GT with TTops. Very rare. Fun car to drive and in fact very comfortable for long trips, like across the country from Maryland to California.

Another one I should have kept.

And prior to that, I had an 87 2M4. Was a great car until my then-5 year old son decided to be real nice and surprise us with a car wash.
He had seen me scrubbing the raised white letters with comet and a scrub brush. Yup, the whole car.

Ha, ha, a Fiero fan! I love it. The Fiero I tried out a number of years ago was a 1988 Fiero Mera. Are you familiar with those? They were built with a Ferrari 308 body and were incredible looking cars. They got sued by Ferrari and only a couple hundred were ever built. I really wanted that car, but I was just not comfortable in it. A shame.

mera.jpg

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
It was an amazing car. The engineering was ground breaking. Too bad GM did some poor design work, causing fires, in the first year or two, and then tried to cover it up. Had they admitted the mistakes, fixed them, these cars would have become THE American sports car.

The space frame (very safe by the way) had epoxy filled pads/mounting points. The space frame entered a 3 story CNC machine, the pads were milled flat and threaded. The all-plastic body and other frame bolted components were then bolted on. No adjustments. Perfect fit every time.

88's got the revamped suspension, and plans for big brakes and other not-familiar-to-GM performance enhancements, all in preparation for V8s. When in design, GM had V8 cars built and were testing them.

But sales dropped way of in 88 and the decision was to scrap the entire project. Too bad.

Just imagine the new option Vette engine in this perfectly balanced frame. A working man's Lamborghini for sure. Maybe not a Doctor's Ferrari, but a real Bull of a car.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Squerly said:

Originally it was about what we have but I like em all, so lets share what we have, what we've had, what we want , what we dream of etc etc.

Squerly I must say by now I was expecting a pic of your Porsche.

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
Originally it was about what we have but I like em all, so lets share what we have, what we've had, what we want , what we dream of etc etc.

Squerly I must say by now I was expecting a pic of your Porsche.

Me too, although that M5 is pretty easy on the eyes.