• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Testing out the Snow Trac

Sno-Surfer

Here are a couple of pictures from taking the Snow Trac out this weekend. For some reason I can get only two of the photos to load but I'll keep working on the others. This place takes about 30 minutes to drive to with the trailer and about 45 minutes up with the Snow Trac. I think it's about 5 miles up or so.
This is the third time I've taken it out to tplace, each time going up a little farther. I take the battery out of my truck and bring it just in case.
No real problems, I made it back ok but on the way up it started to smell like gear oil. Didn't seem to be the motor but I think the tranny or ?? I slowed down and then it seemed to be fine. I put my hand on top of the tranny and it did feel pretty hot.
These are all trial runs and I've only had this machine a couple of months. Been great so far. They are a loud ride.:hammer:
picture.php

I see these are coming out real small. I'll work on that too.

picture.php

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
They are loud if your rear bushings in the rear wheel pivots are worn and track tension is toing in the rear wheels. causing the tracks to ride out in the rear with the back tire riding the inner track guides all the time.

Since I fixed mine I can talk on the phone while running at under 3K on the tack in 4th gear....Much quieter and much less vibration too...

On steep uphill grades the gear oil can run out the back of the transmission through a vent unless it has a plug installed and vent holes are in the variator towers.

Regards, Kirk

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
ditto what kirk said ,also look around your small chain sprokets check for leakage likely those are the original seals i had a 47 year old seal fail and cost me a transmission on a hundred mile run .when i pulled the trans the seals were as hard as plastic the reason they have never been changed is you have to pull the transaxle out to change them

nikos

Hey Snowsurfer
What about the fuel consumption all along the trails?
High hill trails or flat ground?

Sno-Surfer

Thanks for the info on the vent hole and the seals. I was hoping that the only overheating I'd have to deal with would be the motor and that now seems fine with the tin in place and the new air horn I made.
I'll have to take a closer look and see if I can see any leakage from the seals. The hill I went up wasn't that steep. It's a two lane paved road in the summer and I could go up it in fourth but after a while I noticed that gear oil smell so I backed off and went up in third and it seemed to go away.
I'll have to get better more accurate states with a gps or something but I'd guess I went up 2-3000 ft, about 10 miles round trip at about 10mph and used about 2.5-3 gallons of gas.

Sno-Surfer

Well I took the snow trac out again today and went about 25 miles round trip. No problems to speak of. I've been having a hard time getting my pictures to upload and I'm getting back logged! Guessing a bit over 3000 ft in elevation. Spectacular spot. Took my friend and our kids, 6 of us in all. One skied behind and the other went on sleds. We all had a great time. I try and take it easy, mostly 3rd and then 4th on the flatter sections and on the way down.
No over heating. Putting all the tin and making the air horn really helps! So far, so good. Feels like it's runnng and steering pretty good. Still nervous about things breaking down though.
Pictures coming....:whistling:

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Posting these for the OP.

Attachments

• DSC_0248 (600 x 400).jpg
    DSC_0248 (600 x 400).jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 525
  • DSC_0265 (600 x 400).jpg
    DSC_0265 (600 x 400).jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 525
  • DSC_0280 (600 x 400).jpg
    DSC_0280 (600 x 400).jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 523

Cidertom

Chionophile
GOLD Site Supporter
Once I get my ST running well (prob next winter at this rate), we need to find some place between us that needs exploring.

Sno-Surfer

Thanks Muleman for posting those. I'll try that resizer out.
Cidertom, that would be great finding a place to explore. I would be much more at ease if there was another vehicle around.

Sno-Surfer

Moogsby, thanks again for those patterns. It works! I took a few photos I'll post of my amature process soon but it turned out just fine and it's been running nice and cool. Those patterns were a big help. :smile:

Sno-Surfer

Well I took it out again yesterday and went just a bit farther 25-30 miles round trip. We've been having some great clear weather here and I've been trying to take advantage of it.
Had a couple of my old high school freinds visiting so I took them out for a ride. They were stoked to say the least. It's so cool to be able to take a few people out and explore the snow filled Mts around here. So far I've just been sticking to the same area, it's 30 minutes from home so it's the easiest to get to. I'm about ready to take it to some new places. I'll post some pics later..
I did lose the skid plate along the way. We all heard it but for some reason no one saw it fall behind us. We found it on the way down, thankfully it wasn't snowing cause it was a few miles back. I knew from reading posts here that you can't use the brakes without messing things up without the skid plate on. I didn't need the brakes and had no problem. Found the skid plate, put it back on and we were good to go again. Seemed like it ran REAL cool with out it. But overall it's running cool.
So far so good with this thing and I've been having an absolute blast taking it out. Still waiting for the enevitable breakdown but each time I'm more prepared. :biggrin:

Sno-Surfer

Had another chance to take out the Snow Trac again today. I went to the place I've been going but there were three sherrifs rigs with two snowmobile trailers. I figured I should stay out of their way....:whistling:. 'So I turned around and though I'd see what else I could find on my way home.
Score! I stumbled onto a place where I saw a couple of pick ups with snowmobile trailers and a nice turn out. I unloaded and took off from there. We have been getting some good snow and I was in about 2 feet of fresh snow on top of 4-6 ft or so snow. Now looking at the map I can see I was almost at the end of the road but it was heading up towards Mt Hood.
Windy but sun breaks and actually a beautiful day. Just me and my 6 yr old, he skied behind.
Wasn't steering very well and seemed to get worse as it went. Ends up the belt was loose. I thought that was all it was and could have adjusted it enroute but it was ok to get back. But pretty loose and I tightened it 75 miles ago or so... I also noticed the belt dust on the sides of the engine compartment. Could tell it was slipping. It's adjusted now and hope it works next time out. Otherwise it went really well. No problems anywhere I wanted to go in the snow. Snowmobilers must have camped out cause there were no tracks at all, just mine.

Sno-Surfer

I sure am getting behind on pictures...
I've been taking the Snow Trac out every weekend. I've put nearly 200 miles on it since I've had it. It's been a blast. The skid plate bolts keep rattling loose so I carry a few extra. Had another bolt bread at the idler wheel mount but I also carry a few extras of those too.
I also have a problem with the pedal mounts. Seems something let loose and the clutch doesn't pull far enough to disengage it. I see the problem and just need to secure things better. I ended up using a rope to hold the assembly in place while I push the clutch and the it will disengage the clutch.

Also got a warning from the forest ranger that I was on a road with a 48" width limit. Guess I can't go to that place anymore. But he did give me lots of suggestions of other places I could go with it.

Went over to Mt Adams for the first time with it yesterday. I am pleasantly surprised that I've made it back to the trailer everytime so far....

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I would like to see what bolt is breaking at your wheel idler mount? I am not sure what that is.
parts falling off a snow rig heading up into the hills isn't good. Good thing your buddies didn't see it untill on the way home.
Maybe sometime we can have a meet down your way?? I made a oneday run to Mt nicola in Oregon last year. tower needed 75 gl of fuel and the guy couldn't afford the $3000 cost. He paid my towing fuel and expences and I had a fun day. his cost was $300 . It was a low budget ham radio link that was out.
So runing down to hood river shouldn't be that bad.
something to think about for next season.
jim

Sno-Surfer

JimVT, it would be great to organize a run somewhere down here. This whole winter is about finding places to bring it and making sure it gets back to the trailer. Hopefully by next winter all the bugs will be worked out, well most of the bugs anyway! But seems like a lot of places to take it within an hour from my house.
I'll get a picture up eventually but the bolts that have broken twice, maybe three times now are the two that hold the bracket that holds the idler wheel on. Hope I'm call it right, it's the small boogie that rides on the top. There are two bolts that go through the support with the leaf springs on it. They are about 4 inches long. Seems like a lot of leverage on those from the weight of the track rolling on the idler wheel.
It's been the old ones that break. Maybe I just needed to replace them with new ones..?

Sno-Surfer

Took out the Snow Trac again today at Mt Adams. Beautiful day, warm as can be and no wind. Came back at sunset. Had three problems.
Broke another bolt on the idler wheel mount. 3rd one. This time grade 8 spares. We'll see how long it lasts.
Then at the very top, I had vapor lock. Took me a while to figure it out. Then took a good 30 min to cool and get it started. Had to pull the fuel line off the pump a few times and let the pressure out. Sooo glad it started up there.
Then had a wire that wrapped around the steering shaft and smoked came out the dash. Once I figured out the wire I just tied it up so it doesn't get caught in it again.
Otherwise, great trip with my nephew and son.