• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Need suggestions!!!

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
I am leaving on vacation in two weeks (annual Canada fishing trip), but the wife went to the doctor this morning due to extreme shoulder pain, and it turns out she has something wrong with her rotator cuff.

For now she is on anti-inflammatories and Vicodin (pending MRI & an ortho visit...)

The big problem is, she can't really lift anything and she certainly can't throw the hay over the fence for the horses.

I need to design and build some sort of a catapult or other device that will help her feed the horses while I'm unavailable.

Thoughts???????

mak2

rent-a-neighbor?
I am leaving on vacation in two weeks (annual Canada fishing trip), but the wife went to the doctor this morning due to extreme shoulder pain, and it turns out she has something wrong with her rotator cuff.

For now she is on anti-inflammatories and Vicodin (pending MRI & an ortho visit...)

The big problem is, she can't really lift anything and she certainly can't throw the hay over the fence for the horses.

I need to design and build some sort of a catapult or other device that will help her feed the horses while I'm unavailable.

Thoughts???????

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
rent-a-neighbor?

I don't think the neighbor would appreciate being catapulted into the paddock. :brows:

Actually, that is probably at the top of the list, but certainly not as much fun as building something.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
Go find a worker elephant.. problem solved!
It can do the work and get fed at the same time!
:tongue:

squerly

Supported Ben Carson
GOLD Site Supporter
I think you better not go. You may not have anywhere to return to...

Trakternut

Fine you one of those old bale elevators, like we used to use to put square bales upstairs in the barn with, hang the end over the fence. She can toss the hay onto the elevator and let it drop it to the hooches.

jimbo

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Would it be possible to design something like the Shaker feeders that were filled from the top and gravity fed the hay as it was used?

Much like a chicken feeder.

cdajen

Bronze Member
Site Supporter
They make solar powered automatic feeders you can set on a schedule, but they are really expensive and only practical for a few horses. This sounds like a job like for a young kid who hasn't had enough jobs to know that his labor is worth anything. I had a bale bucking job like that when I was about 12 ;) lol

ki0ho

GOLD Site Supporter
why not just stay home and take care of your wife??? It just might pay dividends in the long run!!!!!

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I would get a big round bail and a hoop feeder and go fishing.....(I do this at planting time and harvest) The horses will be fine with one big bail...JMHO. Or put small squares on a rack high enough she can roll them off into the pen over the fence.

Regards, Kirk