• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Auto lift for service and storage

BadAttitude

Dargo

Just a suggestion, maybe you already know this...when you plan to store another vehicle under the one on the lift, lower the lift so it sits on the locks. The same goes for your dually when working on it, lower it on to the locks. I also uses tripod high horses when working on any dually up on a lift.

edit...btw, nice job on the installation:thumb:

HGM

Dargo said:
Now I get to spend the next week finishing the ceiling in my barn and cleaning it. :( Oh well, the lift works anyway. I can raise my Durango high enough to where I can park my Jeep Cherokee under it. I'm still a bit nervous being under an 8500 pound pickup though. I think that will take a bit of getting used to. :eek: ...

What did you decide to use as a ceiling?

As for being under something heavy, you'll get used to it.. Its really not that bad. Very rarely will you ever hear of a properly opperating lift drop straight down, there are safty locks for everything.. If the truck is unbalanced, it will fall off one end or the other, the screw jack under the trailer hich is a good idea for that added safty if you're rocking the truck a bit too... Just keep that safty in mind when you dissable the arm locks(if you use it enough, you will:whistle: ).. Looks good, part of me wishes I had the 12' ceiling to add one in my shop, but then again, I wouldnt have a reason to tell someone I cant work on something:whistle: ..

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Looks good Brent. :thumb: (I'm jealous!)
Now you got me thinking .....I'm planning to add a three stall garage. I'm now considering making one of the stalls with a higher ceiling so I can have a lift. :eek:

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
HGM said:
What did you decide to use as a ceiling?

I'm going to use the same insulation that is in the walls and roof and then the same steel that is used in the walls and roof. Besides the weight of getting sheets of sheetrock up to 14', I just don't think sheetrock would match unless I did the walls too; which I'm not going to do.

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
OH, say it isn't so!! The "new" two post lifts will NOT work on an "old" X frame car. :mad: Can I say shit here?! Shit!!!

I've spent about 5 hours in my metal shop and have built custom adapters that allow a two post lift fit my old X frame car without adding any additional stress on any of the lift arms. All is well, but now I need to build some 4" adapters to go on the rear because I added 4" to the height of the lift pads in the front with my adapter.

My gosh, am I tired! I'm not sure I can make it through this whole week of "vacation". I may have to go back to work so I can rest...:pat:

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
Dargo said:
I may have to go back to work so I can rest...:pat:

The guys I work with always think I am joking when I say I come to work on Monday morning just so I can relax a little. :D

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
I start my "vacation" next week. No wife and kids. I will be sore and sleep deprived. I know exactly what you are going through. ;)

Junkman

Extra Super Moderator
Dargo said:
OH, say it isn't so!! The "new" two post lifts will NOT work on an "old" X frame car. :mad: Can I say shit here?! Shit!!!

I told you that a 4 post is a better lift to have for all types of cars. I have just ruled out the 2 post lift after reading in the factory service manual that my Cadillac shouldn't be lifted on a two post lift under any circumstance. Now, all I have to decide is where to put a 4 post lift in my already over crowded garage....

HGM

Mayee I'm a little dense in this aspect... Having been a tech for 15yrs and in the automotive bussiness several more, I have put many cars on 2 post lifts and seen many shops where the only drive ons are the front end or heavy truck lifts.. I've lifted everything from Miatta's to super streach limos(not supposed to lift them), unibody's to full frame cars and trucks of nearly all sizes..

Admittedly, I have very limited experience in "x" frame cars or Cadilac's but I'm having a bit of trouble seeing why you cannot lift them on a 2 post. How do they come down the assembly line? Every one I have seen is held by the pinch weld at the bottom of the rocker pannels or the frame.. There are MANY instances where a 4 post will not work for service, or will make things much more difficult.. I'm not saying you guys are wrong, I'm just not seeing it.. Please explain if you can.. It seems to me if a car cannot handle being supported by frame(of some sorts) on the inside of the wheelbase it cant be very sturdy, nor last long on some of our roads..

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
Greg, you don't put a lift pad anywhere on the underside of the body of a 100k show car. You don't even put the lift pads on the frame without putting additional pads on the lift pads because there are two screws on the factory lift pads on a 2 post lift that could put small scratches on the frame of the car. The lift arm pads must reach exact points on the X frame or the lift is useless for that car.

You are exactly correct on why I did not go with a 4 post lift. It would be limited to storage only. It would be pretty well worthless to me for any service work. I made the 2 post lift work for both jobs.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Actually, given the string of "luck" that Dargo has had lately, it is just fitting that he owns an X frame show car, and a lift that won't lift the car without causing damage. :yum:

But just like Junkman, I am very happy with my 4 post lift :hide:

Junkman

Extra Super Moderator
I lifted my 1978 Cadillac Commercial chassis with two floor jacks on one side just as if it were on a two post lift. This was to change the brakes on one side of the car. When lifted on the frame just behind the wheels, where the frame makes a turn, caused the body to compress in the middle. If I had tried to open a door, it might have gotten stuck or not closed afterward. I believe that it is not recommended because the pressure isn't evenly distributed and damage can result. Some vehicles have stronger frames, such as truck and are not effected. Junk.....

HGM

Junkman said:
I lifted my 1978 Cadillac Commercial chassis with two floor jacks on one side just as if it were on a two post lift. This was to change the brakes on one side of the car. When lifted on the frame just behind the wheels, where the frame makes a turn, caused the body to compress in the middle. If I had tried to open a door, it might have gotten stuck or not closed afterward. I believe that it is not recommended because the pressure isn't evenly distributed and damage can result. Some vehicles have stronger frames, such as truck and are not effected. Junk.....

One thing I learned(was told) years ago involving this was to never open the door of a convertible(for example) while on a lift for just this reason.. I guess I can see your point(Dargo especially with the show car).. I think I, like Dargo, would just make it work.. Nothing wrong with a drive on if you dont need it for service work I guess, but the 2 post makes much more practical sense for me. Thanks for the explanation guys.. BTW, got any pics of your car Dargo?