• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

XP thinks DVD/CD burner is CD player

Spiffy1

Huh?
SUPER Site Supporter
Hadn't burned any DVDs in a while and have ran a few windows updates since, tried to burn a DVD and Roxio was only listing my CDR drive (always listed both, but I hadn't paid enough attention lately to notice when the one disapeared). When I reinstalled it, windows is listing it as a CD drive even with a DVD in it [though it does recognize it has a DVD, and the prompt comes up when I install a blank].

Reads both formats fine, but it won't even burn a CD [at least via Roxio 6 Platinum]

Plextor 712A DVD/CD burner
Generic CD burner (this works fine reading and burning)

Installed new 712A (actually refurb), updated Roxio, updated firmware, rearranged cables & jumpers, new cable, tried running just the combo drive.....still nothing.

Any ideas?
I'm running XP-Pro on a Supermicro P4SCT (P4 3.2).
My primary Raids feed an Adaptec SCSI controller
Backup drives on the SATA controller.

3 1/2 Floppy. I had both burners on one cable to IDE channel 0, but I've tried about every possible configuration and no difference.

Any ideas? I'd be glad to look stupid if I can get this thing to work again!:tiphat:

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
If Nero still has a free download you might give it a try. I've used it a few years now and always had better success than I ever did with Roxio. Otherwise CD RW are pretty goof proof. I hhad the same issue but loaded Nero and haven't looked back. Nero Express is the most straightforward of the Nero versions. The plain Nero is a bit tougher to use. Takes some getting used to.

If you have not rebooted lately, you might try that.

Spiffy1

Huh?
SUPER Site Supporter
Thanks Doc!

Before I built this system about a year ago, I was running Nero and Alcohol120%. Don't recall any trouble with Nero (I think Alcohol crashed on me a couple times, but don't quite remember the situation), but Roxio came with my Plextor so figured I'd run that.

Anyway, at a quick glance I didn't see any free downloads on Nero's site - except 30day trials. However, figured if I had to uninstall Roxio anyway, may as well try a reinstall [about the only software or hardware possibility I didn't try :pat: ]. Running fine now, but may have to keep my eyes open for Nero anyway.

Thanks again!:a1:

Gatorboy

Did you by any chance install your Roxio software on another computer? I think they may be doing something under the covers when you install and run multiple copies with only having one license.

Spiffy1

Huh?
SUPER Site Supporter
Good question Gatorboy. I might have a "trial copy" of Roxio running around here somewhere too, but I built 3 systems at the same time [although I went budget on the ones for the inlaws and my mother], so I would have had disks with all the hardware. May have used the same disk multiple times, but I put generic drives in the other two, and don't remember what software they had.

With the facts that it worked for this long [unless it got buggy right at one year], and that the other drive still read fine, I'm still blaming a Windows upgrade not mingling well with Roxio, but who knows. :smileywac