• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

what will your next vehicle be?

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
CLS63

Attachments

• 06.jpg
    06.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 122

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Fred that one is sure fancy, I've got my eye on the new E-350 with the diesel "BlueTec" engine.

Attachments

• Picture 10.png
    Picture 10.png
    248.4 KB · Views: 96

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
^^^ that bluetec is a very nice car.

I had the fortune to be driven a couple of hundred miles in a S350 non-bluetec, but diesel from Krakow to Zakopanie and back. Even the most particular person would not have the ability to discern it from a gas engined car.

Also, I was driving next to an E350 BlueTec in the summer, on the highway at 75mph+. I rolled my window - no diesel noise.

Great choice of a car.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Other than the GM diesel offerings from the 80's I've been a long time fan of diesel cars. The biggest problem we have here in the USA is that our choices are so darn limited. I'm not actually in the market right now but the lovely Mrs Bob and I are now doing some preliminary looking for next summer???? Fall????

Right now the Mercedes E350 BlueTec is the top of the list of choices, but its probably just as likely we could end up with a Chevy Volt :whistling:

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Cheapest and safest car you'll ever own.
I may agree with safest, but cheapest? In my experience, their preventative maintenance schedule/visits cost more then any other 3 cars combined and if anything ever does break, say goodbye to the kids college fund.

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
I suppose if you bring it to the stealer for everything, yup, a $125.00 an hour for 25 yoa green technician can get very expensive.

For those that need to use a tech, an Indy's hour is the same for a Benz as a Toy Yoda. The scheduled maintenance may be more intensive, but other stuff just does not break that often. Most of the scheduled maintenance is filters, fluids (yes, change you brake fluid every two years, you'll never replace a caliper), and normal wear like brake pads, alignments, etc.

And the car will go 350,000 miles, no problem.

I do almost everything on my cars, except paint repairs, alignments, wheel balancing, and tire mounting.

I buy my cars used. I expect my current DD to last until 350,000, meaning I'll have put 260,000 in it. I expect all costs, except insurance, to cost me about 20 cents per mile, assuming zero residual, and buying the premium oil (M1, gold cap), filters, tires ( Eagle F1 and Blizzaks) and brakes (Akebono) that I buy, and following the service schedule.

I can not find a cheaper car(s) to operate for 260,000 miles.
And I certainly can't find one that fits the above bill, and is as safe and as comfortable as a Benz. I am surrounded in air bags, have electronic stability, brake assist, and all the other safety features not found in most cars.

I figure 3 more years with my current DD, 2001 E430 Sport, then I get the 2010 CLS63. That one will cost me a bit more per mile, but not much more.

I totaled my ML a few years ago. Had I been in anybody else's SUV of that size, I swear I would be crippled, or severely damaged. I walked away, and was not even sore. Put a cost on that.

Cheapest car you'll ever drive, that's my story, and I'm sticking to it!

PS B - Between me and my kid - 4 190s now! 2 stock 16v 2.3, and 2 hi-po cars - 1 um, lets call it a 2.6 6cyl, and another that the kid has gutted and is going on nuts on.

Ironman

Nissan GT-R

My second choice, after the CTS-V, might just be a ricer model Nissan GT-R everyone is raving about... sposed to be a quick little shit. I doubt i would ever buy one tho.

530 hp twin turbo
0-60 3.9
weighs in at about 3800 #s and ran a 7:24 @ Nurburgring :shifty:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jeep0dAGg0k"]Switzer R1K R35 GTR 1/4 Mile Testing Starting Line Footage - YouTube[/ame]

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
Re: Nissan GT-R

My second choice, after the CTS-V, might just be a ricer model Nissan GT-R everyone is raving about... sposed to be a quick little shit. I doubt i would ever buy one tho.

530 hp twin turbo
0-60 3.9
weighs in at about 3800 #s and ran a 7:24 @ Nurburgring :shifty:

Switzer R1K R35 GTR 1/4 Mile Testing Starting Line Footage - YouTube

I love the Cadillac CTS-V. The local dealer had one a while back and checked her out. Amazing how seriously the dealers take you when one has grey hair. LOL.

AAUTOFAB1

Bronze Member
SUPER Site Supporter
I would rebuild my 2001 Ram 2500 4x4 cummins turbo diesel. I'm going to get 450,000 miles out of this one and i can completely rebuild the engine ,transmission ,and suspension for under 10k, beats payin 40-50 grand for a new truck.

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
A buddy has a CTS-V. Yawn. Sorry, no soul.

What I'd like to try is the new CTS-Vagon with the manual Tremec 6060 6-speed. That may be a fun car to drive. Cadillac's auto trans is a no-go.

But I am also guessing the suspension will still be typical GM, so it may have a bit of soul, but otherwise blah.

I went to the Caddy site. Decked it out with recarro seats, yellow brembos, etc came in at 71,340.

Nope, for that money, a BS Benz would be in the cards.