• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

and the countdown begins

Rusty Shackleford

Automotive M.D.
SUPER Site Supporter
the countdown to 100k, that is! gone past 96500 right now, and just give her a fresh oil change and brand new wiper blades. my next oil change is scheduled at 101500! tonight the car is getting a new spark plug on cylinder 4 as somewhat of cheap 5 minutes fix to test and see which pice of my ignition system is at fault with the way the car has been running lately. it has a misfire recorded on cylinder 4. this one is right in front, with easy access. if i can fix the car for under 10 bucks, even if its temporary, i know what my issue most likely is. and i can take my time to fix it right with all new plugs and wires. if the problem persists, it could be a wire, a coil pack, or injector. all of which are progressivley more difficult to replace, but luckily not super expensive for the particular part.

so with this i am beginning the countdown to 100k. ive never witnesses the rollover before in any of my cars. this will be the first. kinda fun!

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
I can see it now......:whistling::whistling::whistling:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8y-2VlRDW9M&feature=related"]YouTube - Mileage Correction[/ame]

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
I rolled a 70 duster over twice. Best dang car I ever owned. Slant six that would not die.

Rusty Shackleford

Automotive M.D.
SUPER Site Supporter

cant make that mistake, im lucky enough to still have full analog dash! :biggrin:

UPDATE:
IT LIVES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
that tired old 24V puts ya back in yer seat again!
total investment: $6.35, 5 minutes of labor, and a half a beer.
all because i was too stupid to realize 3 months ago that the #4 cylinder is indeed in the FRONT of the engine bay, a 5 minute job, as opposed to the REAR of the engine bay, a 2 hour job. im both ecstatic and embarrased hahaha
somehow the freakin plug was scored up along the ceramic ??????
how the hell that happens, i have no idea. but i did find two worrying things: #1, the plug socked for cylinder 4 is rusty, and #2, the plug hole for cylinder 5 has a bit of what looks like oil in the bottom...
cylinder 6 is totally clean

Rusty Shackleford

Automotive M.D.
SUPER Site Supporter
thecars001-1.jpg

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
fwiw, I've got 220,000 on my 01 430, going for 350,000 miles on it before it becomes my beater.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
You got me thinking. I turned over my 78 pickup,85 suburban,98 suburban and my 98 pickup. That old slant six in the duster had 271,000 miles and the guy I sold it to put that motor in a newer mopar and ran it at least 3 more years.

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
i'm guessing you are starting to have some oil control problems but try changing the pcv valve to corect oil on number 5 cylinder

Rusty Shackleford

Automotive M.D.
SUPER Site Supporter
You got me thinking. I turned over my 78 pickup,85 suburban,98 suburban and my 98 pickup. That old slant six in the duster had 271,000 miles and the guy I sold it to put that motor in a newer mopar and ran it at least 3 more years.

Chebby trucks just cant be beat!

i'm guessing you are starting to have some oil control problems but try changing the pcv valve to corect oil on number 5 cylinder

it had the PCV replaced right after i got the car, about 50K ago. i will look into it though

Rusty Shackleford

Automotive M.D.
SUPER Site Supporter
just for kicks on the way home tonight i romped it on a back road i take home from work. down shifted to second and roasted the tires!!!

oh yeah, shes back!

Spiffy1

Huh?
SUPER Site Supporter
just for kicks on the way home tonight i romped it on a back road i take home from work. down shifted to second and roasted the tires!!!

oh yeah, shes back!

:thumb:

Hey, backroads in your neck of the woods are paved? :w00t2: Around here I have to double check whether a dirt road is litterally an old cowpath (vs. gravel which might even get an occasional date with a grader!) before venturing into unknown roads.

A little tangent to that: Not long ago I was travelling with a city fellow who complained about the "dirt road" when the pavement became gravel - I noted "we should be happy it wasn't"; by [accidental, but] perfect timing, just as he gave me a confused look, the next street marker delimitted a rutted grassy trail which I pointed to and uttered "dirt road." :biggrin:

A bit more twisted tangent on that tangent [oh boy, am I off thread now!] I remember the first time I heard of "the Greyhound method," I thought it meant "taking the dirt road." :doh: No, I wasn't among women [or any other aroused situation somebody might try to paint me in :puke2:] either upon misinterpretting the phrase or being corrected. :hammer: :yum:

Rusty Shackleford

Automotive M.D.
SUPER Site Supporter
:thumb:

Hey, backroads in your neck of the woods are paved? :w00t2: Around here I have to double check whether a dirt road is litterally an old cowpath (vs. gravel which might even get an occasional date with a grader!) before venturing into unknown roads.

A little tangent to that: Not long ago I was travelling with a city fellow who complained about the "dirt road" when the pavement became gravel - I noted "we should be happy it wasn't"; by [accidental, but] perfect timing, just as he gave me a confused look, the next street marker delimitted a rutted grassy trail which I pointed to and uttered "dirt road." :biggrin:

A bit more twisted tangent on that tangent [oh boy, am I off thread now!] I remember the first time I heard of "the Greyhound method," I thought it meant "taking the dirt road." :doh: No, I wasn't among women [or any other aroused situation somebody might try to paint me in :puke2:] either upon misinterpretting the phrase or being corrected. :hammer: :yum:

a few are paved :yum:

cow path? theres a couple roads aroudn me that start paved, become dirt, then a field, then dirt again, then mountain trail and then you see a stop sign, letting you know you are in civilization again. that civilization being a house or two you may pass in the next 3-4 square miles :yum::yum::yum::yum:

Rusty Shackleford

Automotive M.D.
SUPER Site Supporter
well update: yesterday on the way to the store we started hearling a clanking rattling noise from the rear of the car.

i did a little investigating and best i can tell........

the left rear brake hardware came apart in the drum :shock:

gonna throw it on the lift at work tomorrow to get a second opinion, but the drum is made in a way that you need a special Ford tool to get it off, ti seems. we tried everything we could a while back to replace the rear brakes, but to no avail. had to go to the dealer. which upsets me. gonna get on the Taurus forum and see if anyone has any advcie for me to get that damn drum of myself, because i AINT got the money to pay the dealer to reassemble the brakes. car still stops fine and oyou wouldnt know a difference if there wasnt any noise. what leads me to believe the brakes came apart is it sounds like theres a piece of hardware, a spring maybe, jingling around as low speeds, all the way till i stop, regardless if the brakes are applied. but at a higher speed it goes away, i figure its pushed up against another piece fo hardware or something thats keeping it still. i dunno. but thats my thought,.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
What it sounds like is you got a small stone in there. As for a special tool is it one you need to take the bearing nut off to pull like the old front drums? If it has a flat flange in the center you just need some heat and a BFH! Try pulling the drums on my one ton Chevy truck sometime.

Rusty Shackleford

Automotive M.D.
SUPER Site Supporter
no theres a lip on the back that we couldnt get it over to remove it. ford had it done in about an hour i think.

i was thinking the same thing, too, about the stone, but it sounds too mettalic. i dunno. like i said brakes still work normally

tsaw

GOLD Site Supporter
no theres a lip on the back that we couldnt get it over to remove it. ford had it done in about an hour i think.

i was thinking the same thing, too, about the stone, but it sounds too mettalic. i dunno. like i said brakes still work normally

That "lip" I'm guessing is the ware in the drum? and the brake shoes are holding you up. Going back to my Ford Maverick days.. there was an area behind where you could put a flat blade screwdriver, and rotate a star wheel to retrackt the brakes and get the drum off.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Get two ball joint forks and a BFH. Use the forks as wedges to put pressure on the outside edge and pound the center. Took 3 hours to get both rotors with inboard drums off the back of my suburban.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Well get it up on a lift and tear it apart already! Only way to see what is going on is to tear into it!:hammer:

Cowboy

Wait for it.
GOLD Site Supporter
Get two ball joint forks and a BFH. Use the forks as wedges to put pressure on the outside edge and pound the center. Took 3 hours to get both rotors with inboard drums off the back of my suburban.

Or you could just release the emergency brake :whistling::w00t2:

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
a few are paved :yum:

cow path? theres a couple roads aroudn me that start paved, become dirt, then a field, then dirt again, then mountain trail and then you see a stop sign, letting you know you are in civilization again. that civilization being a house or two you may pass in the next 3-4 square miles :yum::yum::yum::yum:

The road I live on just got a new coat of hillybilly pavement. There ain't nothing like the sound of driving down a road just freshly tar and chipped....... tick, tick, a tick, a tick ............ :biggrin:

Rusty Shackleford

Automotive M.D.
SUPER Site Supporter
well nothing. got it on the lift, no noise. took it out for a ride in the field, no noise. took it on the road, clinked once, then no noise. the only difference is its wet and rainy, but i DID hear it this morning ont he ride in so i have no damn idea