• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Just drove out of my tire!

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
Today is an absolutely beautiful day for working outside. Mid 40's and mostly sunny. So I'm outside getting a few hours on the tractor doing final mowing, moving trailers and wagons around to their winter storage spots, etc. As I am driving along, I make a right turn, uphill and I feel the rear wheels start to slip, so I push down on the differential lock and make it to the top of the ditch. Hmmmmm.....why is the left side of the tractor so low? I look down and the darn tire has popped the bead and is loose on the rim! DAMN! Jack it up and un-bolt it, roll it over to the shop and luckily I was able to get the bead seated and put air back in it. Obviously I was a little low on air in that tire when I started the day. :unsure:

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
Lost one on my front last winter. The tire pressure was too low and I turned too sharp with the super-steer. It came right off. It was a bitch getting it to seal again. I ran a rope around it and then put a crow bar in the rope and cranked on it and finally got it.

I watch it pretty close now as I don't want to have to go through that process again. But your right, it is really nice out and that can mess up your day.

How come you not watching the DaBears on TV??

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
How come you not watching the DaBears on TV??

I always record the game and watch it later. Especially when it is so nice out like today.

I've got more work done today than any single day so far this year.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Dave, I did that 2 weeks ago! I was towing out the pool guy's pick up truck and caught a rear tire on a fallen branch right at the rim, broke the bead and drove right out of the tire before I realized what happened. Fortunately the pool guy used to be a tire guy! The tractor was only about 100' away from my workshop at the edge of the woods so it wasn't much effort to get the tractor up to the garage where he put it back on and inflated it.

But you are right about it being a nice day to do work outside. I just got in from planting another patch of raspberry bushes. This one has golden raspberrys and red raspberries. I also checked up on the fruit trees, other berries, and inspected the brussel sprouts (too small to harvest but getting close).

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
It was a bitch getting it to seal again. I ran a rope around it and then put a crow bar in the rope and cranked on it and finally got it.
Murph,

You may find that ratchet straps work better.

If that doesn't do it, there's always ether.

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
Murph,

You may find that ratchet straps work better.

If that doesn't do it, there's always ether.

Now you tell me :poke: :yum:

I raised the front end off the ground with my loader and took the tire down to work since I knew my compressor would never have enough ummmph to do it. The rope and crow bar were right handy. Kind of awkward to hold the bar, rope and air nozzle at the same time but it worked. The ratchet strap would have made it a lot easier. :thumb:

Erik

SelfBane
Site Supporter
another trick I've seen for setting the bead on a truck tire (less dangerous than ether - but also less fun) is to take the valve core out and use an air gun to blow the tire into the bead without actually filling the tire.
without the valve core more air gets in there so it seats pretty good, then you can screw the valve core back in before all the air escapes.

otherwise, I'm a great fan of ratchet straps, too.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
another trick I've seen for setting the bead on a truck tire (less dangerous than ether - but also less fun) is to take the valve core out and use an air gun to blow the tire into the bead without actually filling the tire.
I've tried that as well but didn't have a lot of success. You need such a massive influx of air to make it work. To do a rear tire on a tractor, you need to be able to completely empty 100# of air pressure into the tire in about 1 second.

Murph - I didn't elaborate but are you familiar with the ether trick?

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
I've tried that as well but didn't have a lot of success. You need such a massive influx of air to make it work. To do a rear tire on a tractor, you need to be able to completely empty 100# of air pressure into the tire in about 1 second.

Murph - I didn't elaborate but are you familiar with the ether trick?

I have heard of the ether trick but have never tried it. I would have to look it up on the internet or do a search here to remember. It seems to me it was talked about here or the other site I used to frequent.

cj7

Ether works. Just be careful it does not take much.

You can get burnt and I have a pic someplace where the sidewall blew out.