• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

AWESOME Picture Thread ~ just add your own

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
I've recently got reconnected with friends whom Steven and I had in Wakefield, England.
Martin was a good friend of his since they were young.
Martin met Stan Lee shortly before he passed away.
:smile:

Martin and Stan Lee_1546832226133.jpg

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
1c9a41454d65cd9788fbcc1be539a1e5.jpg

Canadian eh!!!

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Here's a cool timelapse photo someone did of the Terry Fox monument out on the highway a few miles from here.
4bec8ac2526fa5b20355c0c5acf9888d.jpg

Canadian eh!!!

Jim_S

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Someone mention stairs? . . .

Attachments

• C329D9EA-BB36-4925-8E30-09E27E373B8B.jpeg
    C329D9EA-BB36-4925-8E30-09E27E373B8B.jpeg
    58.8 KB · Views: 115

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Chicago River Jan 30 2019

Attachments

• ChicagoJan302019.jpg
    ChicagoJan302019.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 88

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter

You don't know how many bad memories a photo like that brings back. She must be my age now and I can still remember pushing a trolley full of boxes of punch cards with one line of instruction on each down the hallway. If you wanted a program to do something, you had to write it yourself. You wrote each line of instruction down in a book and spent hours, sometimes days, transferring them to punch cards. Heaven forbid that you misspelled anything, missed a line of instruction or got a card out of sequence. That meant that you were DOOMED!!!!

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Computer paper and punch cards were what me and my sisters used for coloring paper when we were kids.

My mom got creative and actually used it as wallpaper in the game room of the house. Wasn't your turn taking a shot playing pool? Turn around and read the source code on the walls.

I'm still a COBOL/CICS programmer but at least we can do compiles and executions very quickly now. The mainframe I'm using now does about 350,000,000,000 instructions per second so there's very little if any wait for anything. ;)

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
Isn't it amazing thinking back to the Stone Age of Computers and electronics? My iPhone probably has more computing power than the mainframe I spent hours queueing to get on. Oh, we used FORTRAN and WATFOR. These days I couldn't write 1+1=2. :smile:

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Wall of fog by the aerial lift bridge. That's the western tip of lake superior. I'm 4 hours northeast of there.
f030327584245098e11b168b1b7bd3d6.jpg

Canadian eh!!!

Danang Sailor

nullius in verba
GOLD Site Supporter
Isn't it amazing thinking back to the Stone Age of Computers and electronics? My iPhone probably has more computing power than the mainframe I spent hours queueing to get on. Oh, we used FORTRAN and WATFOR. These days I couldn't write 1+1=2. :smile:

I'm so old I remember what COBOL is the acronym for! :hammer: :th_lmao:

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I'm so old I remember what COBOL is the acronym for! :hammer: :th_lmao:
I'm so old that I still use COBOL every day. I came out of retirement a few months ago because large institutions still use it but there's so few of us left that know it and they're willing to pay nicely to keep things running. I'm probably the youngest person on the team.

ETA - Yea, I too know what the acronym stands for. ;)
I also use almost equally as old languages, systems, files commonly used with COBOL like CICS, MVS, JCL, VSAM...