• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

So long Ford!

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
:smileywac Should I expect future problems with my Mustang?
It's the first Ford I've ever owned.
Prior to this, I've always been a Chevy girl.
:rolleyes:

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
Thanks to the assistance of a fellow FF member, I have found and ordered what seems to be a good deal on a used engine for my truck. It's an '05 with less than 15K miles on it, compression tested and guaranteed running. Comes with a 12mo/12K parts and labor warranty for $2650, and it should be arriving Tuesday.

I'm thinking of starting another thread photo-documenting an amateur (me!) performing his first engine swap. :yum:

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
WOW Dave, that sounds like a GREAT deal. Sure is a better solution than taking the 5k loss you were expecting on the truck.
I hope you do start the project thread. Sounds interesting. :thumb:

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
:rolleyes: ok.. I HAVE had my eye on a Dodge Stratus.
Maybe I'll do a trade in soon.

Attachments

• P1000018.JPG
    P1000018.JPG
    46.4 KB · Views: 138

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
:rolleyes: ok.. I HAVE had my eye on a Dodge Stratus.
Maybe I'll do a trade in soon.
:confused:

I sure hope you don't think the Stratus has anywhere even close to the performance of your Mustang. You will be extremely disapointed.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
Getting out from under the high payments, not to mention the insurance.
Both are a pain in the butt.

Erik

SelfBane
Site Supporter
Getting out from under the high payments, not to mention the insurance.
Both are a pain in the butt.

but it's such a CUTE butt...and the office I work for leases a 4 door stratus - other than being too low to the ground for my tastes, it's a very nice car.

fogtender

Now a Published Author
Site Supporter
F U and your entire company!

A couple weeks ago, I took my 2004 F150 in to the shop because it was having engine troubles. Ford is claiming abuse and lack of maintenance on the engine, and has denied the warranty new engine.

WTF?!? Lack of maintenance??? Oil changes between 3K and 5K since I owned it. Their primary evidence is some sludging in the engine and the fact that I can't produce receipts (I do my own service). Even the warranty inspection rep admits that receipts aren't proof that maintenance has been performed, but that is still their basis. I think I have this maintenance thing figured out, as the car I drive to work every single day has 220K miles on it, and runs fine!

Time to head off to Dodge and Chevy to see what they will give me on trade (the damn thing still runs, even though two different dealers say the engine is shot :confused:). I'll take a $5K bath on the trade before I pay Ford $9K to replace the engine.

This is the type of action that can (has) cause(d) a person to never ever buy another Ford product for the rest of their (my) life.

Most likely going to take a pass on that Expedition I was looking at too...not a chance Ford! F*CK OFF!

Before you throw out the "baby with the bathwater". You may want to replace the "Knock Sensor". I have had that problem on quite a few customers cars in the past and that was the issue. If they are going bad and don't fail completely, they will mess things up and the computer takes the bad data as factual. If the sensor fails completely, then you will get a trouble code and the computer has a "Get Home" program to make it work enough to let you drive home, same as most of the other sensors too.

This is a quick quote I took out of a service manual:

A quality Knock Sensor is more important than ever thanks to today’s increasing gas prices. Your Engine Knock Sensor enables your vehicle to obtain the optimum combination of timing and fuel/air mixture to generate power and efficiency and that means less wasted gas. In addition to robbing you of fuel economy and performance a faulty Knock Sensor can cause expensive damage to your engine. Remember, the Knock Sensor keeps fuel from detonating in the cylinder … exploding rather than quickly burning as it should. If not replaced a faulty Knock Sensor can quite literally cause hundreds if not thousands of dollars in damage.

knock-sensor.jpg

What you may also do before you change out the engine, is have a dry/wet compression done on the engine, or you can do it yourself. Pull out one spark plug at a time so you don't mix up the wires. Unhook the wires from the coils so the engine won't start. Put a compression tester in each cylinder and crank the engine over about three times, write the numbers down and then with a squirt can of oil, squirt about three pumps of 30W motor oil into the spark plug hole and redo the compression and write it down.

If you have a high compression... about 140 PSI (that is an average) or so then it is a good cylinder, if it is low, you may have a valve problem or rings. After you do the oil and the pressures goes up, the rings may be bad because the oil sealed them for a bit and brought the pressures up. If the pressure doesn't change, them you have a valve issue. But if all the cylinders are within about 20 PSI, you should have a fairly smooth engine and it may not be "shot", if that is the case, I would look really hard at the sensors as a whole.

I just checked out a ship's engine that the "Dealers had about eight "Factory Trained" mechanics look at starting in Hawaii, the Dutch Harbor, Kodiak and then Seward, and the consensus was the engine was "Shot" and they wanted to charge $50,000.00 for an in-frame overhaul. The engine is a V16 cylinder, 71 series Detroit Diesel, which is two V8's that are bolted together with common oil and water cooling. From the way it was described as blowing black and blue smoke, I fugued the problems that were described were either fuel related or Blower because the engine was rebuilt less than two years ago.

Turned out that a "thirty cent pin" had come out of one of the Emergency Air Box Shut down shafts with caused the front engine to have no air going to it. Thus the back engine blew black smoke trying to bring the engine up to RPM and the forward half was sucking oil in from the Blower seals that had been sucked in after the shut down had been closed. I had to remove both blowers and rebuild them for a cost of about three thousand dollars or so.

Checking the simple things first, can save a lot of problems that many people tend to look at last, which of course causes a lot of money changing hands.

Good luck on whatever you decide!

Last edited:

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
Checking the simple things first, can save a lot of problems that many people tend to look at last, which of course causes a lot of money changing hands.

I'm pretty sure that it's more than a knock sensor, considering the engine sounds like each cylinder has a handful of marbles in it, and there is no oil pressure anymore.

fogtender

Now a Published Author
Site Supporter
I'm pretty sure that it's more than a knock sensor, considering the engine sounds like each cylinder has a handful of marbles in it, and there is no oil pressure anymore.

Could be, but I would replace the sensor (about $50.00 or so) and put a manual Oil Pressure gauge on the engine to see what it really is running at. You may in fact be "Too little, too late", but it is cheap to find out for sure verses spend the big bucks and find the engine is just fine.

I would, in the event that the engine is bad. Take it to a shop and have them tear it down and document the damage and why. You can then take Ford to court and win plus all costs. If you have a warrantied engine and they are the ones that don't honor the contract and you have no issues with abuse, it is them that have to prove it.

Won't be cheap to do out of pocket at first, but it will in the long run and they may decide to change their mind when you start proceedings. But first I would write a letter to the Ford Headquarters and tell them what you are going to do and let them know that if they wish to honor the contract before you start, they have 30 days to reply. Send it in a Cert. letter and keep a copy of it. That way in court you have shown that you in fact did give them a chance to step up to the plate. It is all about documentation!

This is a good place to start:

Ford Motor Company
Customer Relationship Center

P.O.Box 6248
Dearborn, Michigan 48126
sp.gif
sp.gif

1-800-392-3673(FORD)
TDD for the hearing impaired:1-800-232-5952
Monday - Friday 8:00 AM – 5:00 PM local time

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
Dang Dave!!! Have you seen what you've done to Ford stock?! It was below $5.00 a share yesterday and isn't much better today even after the feds cut the rate 3/4%.

Man, when Dave speaks, people (and corporations) listen!! :eek: