• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Mopar flashback

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
That car, and the Torino/Talladega's, were not even touched by Chevy's. Those cars were dominate on the Superspeedways. Even then, the Ford's were competitive, because of early restrictions to the Hemi's(the first restictor plate motor).

Even on the strip, the Mopars tended to be more heavily restricted(else who could compete with Sox and Martin?)

That is precisely how I remember it as well. Both NASCAR & NHRA whined about the Hemi to the point of embarassing themselves.

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
At one point, I figured GM owned NASCAR since everybody else had restrictions on them.

Now I can't even watch NASCAR. Phhtt. F1 for me.

Well, I will watch the crash replays.

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
At one point, I figured GM owned NASCAR since everybody else had restrictions on them.

Now I can't even watch NASCAR. Phhtt. F1 for me.

Well, I will watch the crash replays.

I'm not a big nascar fan but some where I herd that all the engines allowed in nascar are now small block chevys and they all run the same chassis and suspensions fuel and tires to make every things the same maybe it is owned by gm . some of the justification for racing is the knowledge gained from it helps to make better cars. well how is restricting engines to one manufacture fuel and a 4 barrel holley advancing things. I remember hearing about cummins running diesel power or Chrysler running turbans this stuff must have scared the shi++ out of government motors. notice they aren't being used any more

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
I bailed on NASCAR when they allowed Toyota to race. Most of my friends thought that it was a good idea, but not so much for me. Of course that is just my opinion. :biggrin:

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
yes I know it's just un-American to have a car with slanted headlights racing in nascar. if I understand the rules right it still has a small block chevy in it. with a 4 barrel carb.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
OK, it sounds like a bunch of rumors about NASCAR engines.

First, they're now fuel-injected. No more carbs.

Second, I call BS on they're all Chevy engines and components. There's restrictions on CID, bore, stroke... but they're not all Chevys. Actually, the blocks and most of the engine parts aren't even big-3 anymore. They're all racing components.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
The bigger teams like Childress and Earnhardt have their own engine shops. They produce them for lots of other teams as well. Toyota has their own shop as well and got burned for having 2 pistons over the weight limit by a few grams a while back. The biggest difference between the cars is the gearing and track suspension setup. Lots of room for different tactics there.

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
Justify the restrictions all you want - I say it is bullcrap. NASCAR is a joke in my humble opinion. How can anybody get excited over 20 of the same cars with different body work on them making left turns for hours?

The liberalization of racing started way too long ago. Pretty soon, everybody showing up or even intending to show up will win a fair share of the purse, meaning, equally divided.

Again, I say PPPHHHHTTTT!