• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

ignition system partial rebuild

Rusty Shackleford

Automotive M.D.
SUPER Site Supporter
for a while ive been planning on rebuilding the ignition system due to misfiring thats be coming back and going away and coming back for quite a while. well i ran across a common occurence on my car which is the composite in the BOTTOM of the coil pack cracks and fails. nothing looks bad from a visual perspective. well i can get all the parts i need, coil pack, wires, plugs for around $100 bucks. thats not the problem. the fun part is removing the intake plenum on this fracking FWD motor. ive done it before, and it sucks. i never seem to disconnect everything to remove it. there always seems to be something somewhere still attatched i can never find to remove. either way its gonna be a process which i will photograph and document if anyone wants to see it. should be fun. im predicting a 2 hour job, but it always takes me longer as i have a short temper and take frequent brakes during LOL.

after this will begin the body work. call it a partial restoration :unsure:

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Got to ask WHY do you need to remove intake manifold to redo ignition? Don't you have removable fender liners to access plugs etc.?

Rusty Shackleford

Automotive M.D.
SUPER Site Supporter
the fender liners remove, yes. but the plugs are back in front of the firewall. sure wish it was that easy.

Attachments

• 2004_ford_taurus_sel-pic-6376202227009527691.jpg
    2004_ford_taurus_sel-pic-6376202227009527691.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 161

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Dang! makes my Prius look roomy. The old cars at least you could work on things.

Rusty Shackleford

Automotive M.D.
SUPER Site Supporter
well its finally happened. ive actually spent over $100 on this car. the only time ive done that before was for tires! im hoping the parts arrive by next Wed. i somehow doubt it though as the 2-3 day shipping was wicked expensive. well as long as it comes by friday ill be happy so i can take one of my days off and bring the car into the shop and do it.

Rusty Shackleford

Automotive M.D.
SUPER Site Supporter
OK coil pack is sheduled to arrive tuesday, which is perfect, wires and loose plugs are scheduled for today already! which is awesome. but the pack of plugs is coming USPS with no tracking info yet. sure hope they get here on time...

Rusty Shackleford

Automotive M.D.
SUPER Site Supporter
she wont be there, im bringing it into the shop on one of my days off. its for the better, too, as she wont have to duck from airborne wrenches

ki0ho

GOLD Site Supporter
Got to ask WHY do you need to remove intake manifold to redo ignition? Don't you have removable fender liners to access plugs etc.?

because it is a FORD. .......:yum:......Jeeps wranglers have lots of room......:whistling:

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Watch you don't break a plug or strip the threads. Can't believe Beasley does not have parts on hand for your car. Been quite a few years since I worked on a Ford. Had to rebuild the auto hubs on the wife's explorer. They had one key to lock the hub and I ended up making the other one from scratch to put it back together.

Rusty Shackleford

Automotive M.D.
SUPER Site Supporter
they had the parts. just way too expensive for my pocket! will have to get some gaskets from them, though. but they arent too expeeeeeeensive!

Rusty Shackleford

Automotive M.D.
SUPER Site Supporter
if i must, i will. but i found a shrotcut around ti that will save me TIME!!! but i may replace the intake gaskets anyway as i already bought them, so if so, i will psot pics fo that

sorry for the spelling folks, its getting late and i really dont care :yum:

loboloco

Hey Rusty, when you have the coil back in remember you have to check it for power. Take the coil wire, hooked to the coil, stick the end on your tongue and have Lith turn the motor over for about 15 seconds.

lowell

I had the same problem with my 2001 s10 zr2 just not enough roon around the engine to get at what I needed to get at, finaly cought me at the wrong time and the wrong p.lace , traded the damn thing for a 2000 dodge 3500 dooley 4x4 It pulls the gtailer with the sv 200 with no problem has room in the seat for 3 people and if I need to worrk on the engine I've got plenty of room.
I will say it befor all you diehard Ford and Chevy folks get on me about havin a dodge it gets me there and back and it is so ugley no one would steel it

Rusty Shackleford

Automotive M.D.
SUPER Site Supporter
well she's done. and the coil pack was obviously the problem. cracks in the plastic galore, at least one with a rust stain around it, indicating moisture in the unit. wow. had only one set back where i had two plug wires mixed to the plugs, even though i did the wires one by one, drew a picture, wrote the numbers on the wires, and checked it all 3 times. its gonna happen i guess. she's runnin great!

Hey Rusty, when you have the coil back in remember you have to check it for power. Take the coil wire, hooked to the coil, stick the end on your tongue and have Lith turn the motor over for about 15 seconds.

:yum::yum::yum:

Don't worry about the extra parts they fall off fords all the time:whistling:

if tis still runnin, whatever fell off obvoiusly wasnt very detrimental to the car :yum::yum::yum::yum:

Av8r3400

Gone Flyin'
See, if you woulda bought a diesel, there would be no problems like this.

No coil packs, spark plugs, plug wires, distributor or any such nonsense.

Rusty Shackleford

Automotive M.D.
SUPER Site Supporter
pics of the coil pack cracks, with some seeping rust, too!

Attachments

• 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 93
  • 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 99
  • 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 99

Cowboy

Wait for it.
GOLD Site Supporter
Dayum Rusty I bet that looked like the 4th of July under the ole hood in the dark when she was runnin :yum: . Good catch . :wink:

Rusty Shackleford

Automotive M.D.
SUPER Site Supporter
Dayum Rusty I bet that looked like the 4th of July under the ole hood in the dark when she was runnin :yum: . Good catch . :wink:

would explain the odd smell she's had for the past 6 months :yum::yum::yum::yum::yum:
i recognize the burnin trans fluid smell, the burnin oil smell, the fuel odor when cold, and the leaking coolant smell, but there was one smell i couldnt place, so that musta been it hahahahahaha