• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Anybody know how to get the rear drums off a '75 GMC 6500 dump truck?

tommu56

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
it ain't doing you no good now but

scan0006.jpg

http://www.auto-repair-manuals.com/...-Truck-Factory-Service-Manual-Supplement.html

still looking too

Cowboy

Wait for it.
GOLD Site Supporter

I think several of us have found that tommu , I even found some PDF files that set my virus scanner off that were supposed free online manuals . :hammer: But if you find anything I would like to know where you found it because I have searched everything I can think of for several hours . So kudo,s to you for trying .

I really do think a few quick blows with a sledge on the end of the axle will pop it loose . But it aint my truck . :wink:

tommu56

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Thinking about it if it were mine I would put a big pipe nipple over hub span that with 2 bars and thread a bolt in to hole draw up on it then rap the hub with a BFH.

tom

Cowboy

Wait for it.
GOLD Site Supporter
Try a Chevy C65, probably the same truck.
Cant find that either TC , but thats what I used to have & its not the same . Beats me I'm starting to wonder if it wasn't switched since factory or ordered special . :unsure:

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
Those evil people! Okay, first, everything was sort of stuck after 35 years. I put tension on pulling the axle cover off again and popped the rim with a 3 pound hammer and it slid right out. :clap: Now we're making headway!

Next I can see the keeper ring with one tab bent into the spanner nut keeping it in place. It ever comes off no problem. I figure the spanner nut would be stuck, but no, a couple taps with a screwdriver and it backs right off. Really cool! I try to pull the assembly off and it's not budging! :mad: Then I get to fishing around inside with my finger and I find a 2nd spanner nut! Just like the first, it comes off without giving me much of a problem.

So, I decide to see if it's loose now. Surprise! I get the whole 300 and something pound drum and wheel center squirting right off with ease right onto my lap, dropping me over backwards on the barn floor with it on top of me. Well, I think I have a little extra work for that Wednesday surgery on my right knee now. :doh:

Damn if that thing isn't heavy! It's all I could do to get up with one leg and get that thing off of me while trying not to drop it and break it. As it turns out, the wheel cylinder is just fine. Some of the seals in the wheel bearings or where the axle goes into the axle tube must be leaking. The leak was rear axle fluid getting into the rear drum and making a mess. I'll work on seeing what I need to replace tomorrow. I'm hurting a bit now.

If you look at the pics, I have about 3/8" of an inch of pad before the rivets. I think I'll just clean them a bit and leave them alone. Thanks for all the advice and help!!

Attachments

• 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 122
  • 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    129 KB · Views: 127
  • 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 121
  • 007.jpg
    007.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 121

Cowboy

Wait for it.
GOLD Site Supporter
Glad you got it Dargo , I recon I forgot to mention how heavy it was . Its actually much easier to remove with the wheels & tires on it , just slip a wheel dolly under it , jack it up , pull the axle & it slides right off ussually tires wheels , hub drum & all . Its now coming back to me :w00t2: :wink:

Trakternut

Glad you got it Dargo , I recon I forgot to mention how heavy it was . Its actually much easier to remove with the wheels & tires on it , just slip a wheel dolly under it , jack it up , pull the axle & it slides right off ussually tires wheels , hub drum & all . Its now coming back to me :w00t2: :wink:

Sounds like it came back to Dargo too! :whistling:

Good ya got 'er! Those break shoes look really good!

Cowboy

Wait for it.
GOLD Site Supporter
I was mainlly talking about the wheel dolly I used years ago . heres a pic of what they look like in case anyone may be interested :wink:
Its just a pic off the net but I plan on either buying another or building one , it would be damn handy for smaller tractor tires as well . :wink:

Attachments

• WheelTrolley1Jpg.jpg
    WheelTrolley1Jpg.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 81

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
If you have one, and have room to move around, a forklift makes a dandy wheel dolly too!

Uh, yeah, that woulda been some good info a few hours ago. :whistling:

But, hey, like my dad said; this is just one more lesson to remind you that you are no longer a human forklift. Trust me, I am NOT going to forget this lesson very soon. I'm hoping to get the parts and get this thing back together before I go under the knife on Wednesday. I have not one, but two forklifts and plenty of room to get to where I need to go with either one during the re-installation process.

While I have it off, think it's worth it to replace the bearings or just whatever seal failed? Nothing seemed loose and the bearings looked fine. Also, since the differential fluid looked pretty black, think I ought to go ahead and change the rear differential fluid while I'm under there? Seriously. It wasn't making any noise before, but maybe fresh fluid may make it shift just a tad easier and last longer. Yea? Nay?

Cowboy

Wait for it.
GOLD Site Supporter
If you have one, and have room to move around, a forklift makes a dandy wheel dolly too!
Yep I agree TN , Seems I always sell the things that come in handy if I dont think I have any further use for :doh:. I got rid of this handy little rig last year . :sad:

Attachments

• P7220004.JPG
    P7220004.JPG
    130.1 KB · Views: 89
  • PB050001.JPG
    PB050001.JPG
    129.9 KB · Views: 83

Cowboy

Wait for it.
GOLD Site Supporter
Uh, yeah, that woulda been some good info a few hours ago. :whistling:

But, hey, like my dad said; this is just one more lesson to remind you that you are no longer a human forklift. Trust me, I am NOT going to forget this lesson very soon. I'm hoping to get the parts and get this thing back together before I go under the knife on Wednesday. I have not one, but two forklifts and plenty of room to get to where I need to go with either one during the re-installation process.

While I have it off, think it's worth it to replace the bearings or just whatever seal failed? Nothing seemed loose and the bearings looked fine. Also, since the differential fluid looked pretty black, think I ought to go ahead and change the rear differential fluid while I'm under there? Seriously. It wasn't making any noise before, but maybe fresh fluid may make it shift just a tad easier and last longer. Yea? Nay?

Sure wouldn't hurt while your in there IMO Dargo . :wink:

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
Sure wouldn't hurt while your in there IMO Dargo . :wink:

That's kinda what I'm thinking. Especially since I have no idea if it's the original fluid or not. Greasing, oil & filter changes, air filters etc., I know were all done on a regular basis. However, given the extremely low mileage but 35 years of time, I wouldn't be too surprised if it's the original fluid.

As I said, it shifts fine, both tranny and rear axle, but fresh fluid can't really be a bad thing while I'm at it. I don't plan to go wild and use expensive synthetic or anything like that, but just new correct weight fluid. Hmm, now I wonder how much it will take...

Cowboy

Wait for it.
GOLD Site Supporter
That's kinda what I'm thinking. Especially since I have no idea if it's the original fluid or not. Greasing, oil & filter changes, air filters etc., I know were all done on a regular basis. However, given the extremely low mileage but 35 years of time, I wouldn't be too surprised if it's the original fluid.

As I said, it shifts fine, both tranny and rear axle, but fresh fluid can't really be a bad thing while I'm at it. I don't plan to go wild and use expensive synthetic or anything like that, but just new correct weight fluid. Hmm, now I wonder how much it will take...

Thats a good idea IMO , you never really know how much condensation might get in & break down the old fluids or grease over the years . But as far as how much it takes , if you are like me & cant find the correct amount of fluids/grease it takes , when you drain it , Put it in either quart or gallon containers so you at least have a starting point of what to add back into to change it .

Its not allways accurate but gives you a starting point , then check the level several times to be safe after refilling . The levels can change a lot depending on how long it takes to get back into all of the cavitys of the gearboxes . :wink:

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Take some steel wool or scotchbrite and polish up the seal surface before you replace it. They tend to get a hard ridge of crud on them and the new seal likes a clean surface. Buy the 80/90 gear lube in gallon jugs and fill quarts to get it in the rear end. Much cheaper by the gallon. I always save the quart bottles with the spout caps for stuff like this. They work good for bar oil also.

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
Offending little bastard that caused the problem. For some reason, a chunk came out of the otherwise good looking bearing and wiped out the seal. Man, what a bugger to get to, get out and fix though!

Thanks for all the help!

Attachments

• 018.jpg
    018.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 74

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
Time for some relaxing decaf and then on to the next project compliments of my other daughter....:hammer:

Attachments

• 019.jpg
    019.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 63
  • 020.jpg
    020.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 62
  • 007.jpg
    007.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 62

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
I would much sooner work on the dump truck. Don't be in too big of a hurry to fix that car. Patience is learned in slow doses. Or better yet get her to help dad work on it and see what a PITA it is!

tommu56

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
When my kids had car problems (read change engine to tires and oil changes ) they had to be there.
They were my gofer because if I couldn't go out and play they couldn't go out with their friends either while I was working on their car.

tom