• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

I Don't Know What I Did To My Car Tonight!

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
Heat something up and bend it? Yikes.

If they actually do get this thing running for $450, you are one lucky gal.

For 450 he's not changing pistons or rods. Probably replacing every crank/rod bearing and maybe an oil pump. And heating up an exhaust pipe nad bending it. You got lucky kid. You saved a ton.

Next time, if any idiot line comes on, pull over, turn it off, immediately!

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
Heat something up and bend it? Yikes.

If they actually do get this thing running for $450, you are one lucky gal.

For 450 he's not changing pistons or rods. Probably replacing every crank/rod bearing and maybe an oil pump. And heating up an exhaust pipe nad bending it. You got lucky kid. You saved a ton.

Next time, if any idiot line comes on, pull over, turn it off, immediately!
only if they fix it right my experiance with my own stuff while trying to save a buck has been making noise because of a spun rod bearing if the rod's not replaced than in a few days the noises will be back who and how much to do it right given the age and abuse i would say you are dollars ahead to just replace the motor with a new one or a reman.

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
:ermm: Isn't $450 about the going price of a flatulator rod?

I believe you are right but that is on the older cars . This is a newer vehicle and I think they switched to a micro switched unit in 2004 . Yes I know its harder to work on these units but it makes the steering vibration much less . Remember how hard the steering was on the old units .
I hated that and knowing that if I missed greasing it I was SOL .I believe the correct color for that unit was green . I sure hope the guy does not put in a red one . Those are for off road only .
Thank goodness for progress !

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
The red ones are for off road only? :ohmy: No wonder my lawnmower cuts unevenly!

Don't feel bad . I learned the hard way to . One day the radio just stopped working and for the life of me , I could not figure out why . Turned out a damn red one was installed by accident by the previous owner .

Trakternut

OUCH! :doh:

Poor PG, she came here to lament the damage done to her beloved automobile and here we are, making fun of the situation.

I almost feel bad! :hide:

Trakternut

I do hope it's not serious. After a while, your "ride" becomes part of you and it's hard to give 'er up. I do sympathize with you.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
I must say driving a different car is a bit strange, as I am used to being lower seated in the Stratus. lol
Almost ripped the tops of my thighs off getting into Cathy's car the other day, had to put the seat back, adjust the seatbelt.. ohh it was fun! haha

Trakternut

I know. I hate driving strange vehicles too. I'm a GMC pickup owner and I have to really try to get used to the Fords we have in our department.

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
only if they fix it right my experiance with my own stuff while trying to save a buck has been making noise because of a spun rod bearing if the rod's not replaced than in a few days the noises will be back who and how much to do it right given the age and abuse i would say you are dollars ahead to just replace the motor with a new one or a reman.

I doubt the rods were knocking in 3 blocks. I think she heard the exhaust.

I did have a 79 Cougar once, The oil light would flicker every once in a while. Checked oil pressure; it was boarderline low. Replaced all the bearings with -0.001" bearings. Drove that one for about 100,000 more.

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
Inquiring minds want to know - how did this turn out and what exactly did he replace?

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
Inquiring minds want to know - how did this turn out and what exactly did he replace?
Fred, funny you should ask.
I had a phone message when I got home from work tonight from Tim.
"Hello, Loralei, your car is done."
He called around 6-ish, so I'll call him back tomorrow morning and ask what the damage was (as in both total cost and detail of repair).
I take this as good news in a way, because it must be driving just fine, and nothing was wrong with the engine.:biggrin:
I'll call him back in the morning and let him know that I can be there to get it on Thursday.

tsaw

GOLD Site Supporter
(just read this tonight)

PG, sorry to hear about the incident.
But glad you got it fixed for a great price.
I for one can't wait to hear what was done to fix
your car so inexpensively.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Fred, funny you should ask.
I had a phone message when I got home from work tonight from Tim.
"Hello, Loralei, your car is done."
He called around 6-ish, so I'll call him back tomorrow morning and ask what the damage was (as in both total cost and detail of repair).
I take this as good news in a way, because it must be driving just fine, and nothing was wrong with the engine.:biggrin:
I'll call him back in the morning and let him know that I can be there to get it on Thursday.

Did he mean done as in Kaputs.....Dead!:unsure:

Or did he mean done as in fixed?:w00t2:

tsaw

GOLD Site Supporter
:biggrin:I get paid good money to pick up on things like that everyday at work.

Well deserved! "You think out side the box"
That is that rare ability to see something no one else does, and bring it up - and then everyone understands what you are talking about.:clap:

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
Oil pan replacement
exhaust y pipe
gaskets
head bolt/heaters??
coils
new oil filter/oil

She's running just fine.
Total cost $510+change with labour.
He tried to find a good used oil pan, but figured a new one was the best idea.
I initially told him I didn't care really, just fix the car and make it work like it did before.
Having said all this, given the damned snow storm coming tomorrow, I have no clue if I'll be able to make it out to his shop (18 miles outta town in the boonies).
He said that was ok.. he'd keep her warm and safe til I got there.
He even filled the gas tank for me.
:D
Cat isn't bothered if I have to drive her little tin can until then.
At least I know it's fixed.
He said he revved the motor up to whatever rpms and it still purred like a kitten.. cool.

norscaner

Great news for starting the New Year PG.
Before you bring it home get him to put a block under the gas pedal to slow you down a bit when in an emergency .:hide::poke:

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
PG is in need of a snow cat to retrieve her car. And hopefully one with a damn good heater with the temps they are calling for!

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Great news for starting the New Year PG.
Before you bring it home get him to put a block under the gas pedal to slow you down a bit when in an emergency .:hide::poke:

:yum: That, or a 12 inch suspension lift kit with some 33" swampers to keep it off the ground so the next impact won't hurt as much:w00t2:

Another nice addon for pg's car would be.......

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdnBM0huJ3s"]YouTube- Dukes of Hazzard horn[/ame]