• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

I bought a Texas Direct Ebay truck

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I'm not truck shopping any longer.

Yesterday I bought a truck on Ebay on one of the Texas Direct trucks. It appears they have some very nice looking trucks and they have a 99.7% positive rating. So I went for it.

I decided on a gasser, and I went for a used one that is already decked out more than any truck I've ever owned.

Here is the description from the ebay add and a couple pics.

One Owner 2005 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Crew Z71 - 4X4 - Orange County Choppers - Leather - Custom Audio - Tonneau Cover - 20" Wheels - Very Clean - Only 42K Miles!!

2005 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 American Van Conversion (OCC Edition) 4dr Crew Cab Z71 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 4A) with Summit White Exterior, Dk. Gray Interior. Loaded with 5.3L V8 SFI Engine, Leather Seats, Front Bucket Seats, Power Driver Seat, Carbon Interior Trim, Leather Steering Wheel Trim, Cruise Control, AM/FM/CD Audio System, Bose Audio, Custom Speaker Box, Subwoofer, Amp, Dual-Zone Climate Control, OnStar, Hard Tonneau Cover, Bed Liner, Side Steps, Custom Hood, Custom OCC Graphics, Billet Grille, Trailer Hitch, Camper/Towing Package, 20 Inch Chrome Wheels and more.

Attachments

• ChevySilverado1500.JPG
    ChevySilverado1500.JPG
    20.5 KB · Views: 341
  • ChevySilverado1500-2.JPG
    ChevySilverado1500-2.JPG
    19.3 KB · Views: 344

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Everything came to a screeching halt last night. I had to talk to a Sales Mgr to complete the deal. He was going to email me paperwork and said I had to return the originals along with copies of my drivers license and proof of insurance.
I let that go, but it seemed like an odd requirement. Then he asks for my social security number. I said no, I don't give that out. He says he has to have it. I asked why. He said so they can do the title work. I said you are processing the title ...he says no but it was need to fill in the transferee part. I tell him that Ohio titles do not have the SS # on them. He still said he had to have it. I refused. He said he'll have to talk to the GM in the morning and see where we go from here. Strange.
I think they wanted the social so they can run my credit and offer financing. I do not want or need their financing and already told them that once.
Not sure where it will go from here, but I already have $500 into the deal.
Thoughts on all this?

REDDOGTWO

Unemployed Veg. Peddler
SUPER Site Supporter
I understand about the part of the drivers license for verification of who you are. However I do believe that you are correct on the social security number, I have never encountered an instance where they needed the social security number to do the title work, the only reason they would need that is to run a credit check.

I have had my local dealer do a credit check on me without the social security number, however it was local and no problem with duplicate names.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
When I have gone to test drive a car I've had to show my drivers license. I understand that. When I buy something on Ebay, that I will have it shipped to me I see no need for them to even have my drivers license. They asked how I wanted the name on the title and that I understand. Say I was not going to put it in my name. My drivers license would have nothing to do with it. I have a cashiers check for them. I give them the check and they do the bill of sale. Deal done. I think they are going way overboard.

REDDOGTWO

Unemployed Veg. Peddler
SUPER Site Supporter
Cashiers checks can be forged and that is why the drivers license.

By the way the truck in nicely equipped but no XM radio?

Cowboyjg

Country Club Member
Site Supporter
There is no reason for them to have your SS#! I can't speak to what they will really do with it but I can't see them being any different than a dealership and I have never had to give them my ss# unless I was using them for financing. Reporting the sale to the Govt for the sake of taxes might be a reason but as I think about it, Ohio will ding you for that when you register the car. Fla was that way. Good luck Doc. You gonna be able to get your $500 back if it goes south?

buckle97

SUPER Site Supporter
Nothing against Texas Direct specifically, but car dealers are at the top of my list of people I would never want to have my social security number:hammer:.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
It has both antennas, xm and onstar.

Starting in 2007, I think, they used one antenna with both functions built in.

Jim

Is that what those two black thingies are on top of the cab?

Nothing against Texas Direct specifically, but car dealers are at the top of my list of people I would never want to have my social security number:hammer:.

Exactly. I really thought buying over the internet would be pain free and not have to deal with sleezeballs. Guess I was wrong. :pat:

REDDOGTWO

Unemployed Veg. Peddler
SUPER Site Supporter
It has both antennas, xm and onstar.

Starting in 2007, I think, they used one antenna with both functions built in.

Jim

My bad, I did not look at the picture.:hammer:

I just read the specs Doc wrote. I have XM and would not go without it any more. That way I can keep up with the stock market on the way to Farmers Market.:yum:

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
Well, that sucks! DO NOT give out your SS; but you know that!

OK, so who lives in Texas to help Doc get the truck he wants? You need to be big and swing a big bat........

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
What's the current status, Doc? Are you getting the truck?
I'm moving forward with it. The A-Holes would not give an inch on the SSN. Said they had to have it due to the Patriot Act to check to see if I was a terriost or on the "list". I checked with my Credit Union and the girl there said they do a Fisik (sp) check the terrorist list on all applicants but they didn't need the SSN to do that. I caved and gave them the SSN. Paper work is all moving ahead now. The transport folks are scheduled to pick up the truck on Thursday. I hope to see it at my door step early next week.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
If it was a sedan or something other than a truck, we would have had to pull your man-card for giving in and giving them your SSN.

Congrats on your new truck!

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
You might want to pull a Free Credit Report in a few weeks to make sure they didn't mess you up.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Yep Jerry, it sure will be a nice upgrade. :D :thumb:

Good idea PB. While I'm concerned about that I'm more concerned about their requirement and use of the SSN in the buying process. When I finally got the bill of sale right at the top is my name and SSN. That is a paper they'll file and keep forever. Multiply that by 1000's of customers and it has every one of their customers SSN's on it. I thought that was against the law ...to use SSN as a identifying number for a customer. Not sure about that ....but I am concerned about the whole situation and not sure what if anything I can do about it.

buckle97

SUPER Site Supporter
I thought that was against the law ...to use SSN as a identifying number for a customer.

If anything, I would have thought it is against the law to require a purchaser to provide their SSN for no good reason especially if the requirements of the auction didn't state that a SSN is required. Don't get me wrong, I know you already had $500 into this truck and didn't want to get burned, but it seems like they were just trying to tell you anything and everything to get that number. It may be totally innocent and just a requirement they have, but you never know.
Congratulations on the new truck. I can't remember, have you sold the 93 yet?

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Nope, I still have the 93. I'm not planning to sell it. We've been using it to launch two boats at two different locations. Now with two trucks that will make our boat launching much less complicated as we don't have to coordinate with each other on times.

OhioTC18

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Doc's sitting there drumming his fingers on the desk, waiting............and waiting.:yum:

If they pick it up tomorrow, when do you figure it'll be delivered?

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Abby is more anxious than I am. I'm still worried about the whole deal.
If they pick it up tomorrow I'd guess they'll deliver here on Monday or Tuesday. They gave me a tracking number so can watch the progress. I'm just glad all is moving forward with no additional hitches so far ....

OhioTC18

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
My local dealer has all of my previous purchases (and there are alot) listed under my SSN. I don't know that I agree with that, but that's the way they do it.

mtntopper

Back On Track
SUPER Site Supporter
On Friday, in southern MN we saw a small auto transport headed east with what looked like your truck Doc. It sure looked like the one in the pic you posted. We were headed west back home and it was east bound. Could that of been yours? The transport looked to be very dark bluish or just black........ Nice truck on the trailer!!!!!!!!:biggrin:

TexasGirl

There is no reason for them to ask for your ss except for financing, doc. Don't let the jerk con you!! Texas is no different in this than anyone else.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
They might not have picked the truck up until Friday. Last I talked to them at noon on Thursday the truck was still at the dealers lot in Texas.
Thanks TG. I know they don't need the SSN. Pure BS.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Update.
I was crazy to do business with Texas Direct Auto. My truck is still sitting at the dealers place. Supposedly it has been moved to the shipping coordinators area. Edward is this guys name.
How did I find this out? I check my on line tracking number provided by the shpper. No results for that number. I call and he said there was a note on the account. They have contacted Texas Direct Auto multiple times, multiple people. All tell him that he needs to talk wtih Edward the coordinator for shipping the vehicles. Only problem is Edward does not answer his phone. The shippers have called and left numerous messages for him, and never gotten a call back. What a crock. This just keeps getting worse and worse and still I have not seen the vehicle close up. Arrrggggggggggg.

Andy ....you asked me about Texas Direct Auto ....now you know. Be careful out there buddy.