• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Excel Huster, perfect xc groomer or toy

cootbruce

After two summers of working on my Hustler, I have decided to sell her. It seems I enjoy working on them more than having them to drive around.....Time for a new project. This machine is very nice. Runs very well. Not shown in the photos is a dbl track setter with a compactor bar. Only thing missing from that are the track setting shoes. Everything has been painted and cleaned and greased. Repaired if needed. 47Hp ford engine. This is a hydrastatic drive system. The blade is 12 way and 8'wide when closed, 11 wide when wings are open. New sprockets and good tires all around. Full lights, beacon, beeper alarm, flashers, heater, wipers front and rear. Wired for a radio and speakers, but I did not get around to adding one yet. This machine is ready to groom trails or plow parking lots, or just play around with. Asking $14,500 but will consider offers. I am interested in a side by side with tracks and full cab...but will consider interesting other offers/trades. PM me for more information and more photos. Located in Upper Michigan.

Attachments

• huster 001.jpg
    huster 001.jpg
    138.6 KB · Views: 1,087
  • huster 004.jpg
    huster 004.jpg
    138.8 KB · Views: 1,073
  • huster 006.jpg
    huster 006.jpg
    139.7 KB · Views: 1,084
  • huster 007.jpg
    huster 007.jpg
    136.7 KB · Views: 1,068
  • huster 010.jpg
    huster 010.jpg
    134.1 KB · Views: 1,074
  • huster 017.jpg
    huster 017.jpg
    135 KB · Views: 1,076
  • huster 021.jpg
    huster 021.jpg
    140.6 KB · Views: 1,066

Kravdog

How wide & long is the machine? Hours? Any chance you could post some pics of the tracksetter/compactor?

cootbruce

It will take me a couple of days to post photos of the tracksetter/compactor as those are at my shop in town and I am currently living at our ski resort. But I will do my best to get those posted. The machine without the tracksetter is 8'wide. I will need to measure how long it is with the blade attached. When I last hauled it without the blade it fit in our 8'x16' dump trailer with some room to spare behind it. Sorry I should have had those measurement before posting so I will get those listed soon as well.

thanks

cootbruce

Pictures of the duel tracksetter with compactor bar for the excel. This is sitting on a trailer and there is a crane style lift also on the trailer. So the picture may be confusing to some. The compactor is painted yellow as are the tracksetting pans. The frame of the tracksetter is painted black. The entire unit has hydraulic controls run from the cab of the machine. The compactor is 8' wide.

Attachments

• huster 027.jpg
    huster 027.jpg
    138.8 KB · Views: 992
  • huster 029.jpg
    huster 029.jpg
    137.6 KB · Views: 1,002
  • huster 033.jpg
    huster 033.jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 1,016

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
How do you think it would be pulling a drag for snowmobile trails?

Under powered in my opinion it would have to be small I've had one before

They are just a kit put on a lawnmower, for cross county track setting they work just fine.

Last edited:

cootbruce

I would agree with Boggie. These machines are only 47 hp. While they would be great for XC ski trails, and plowing your long driveway, road or parking lot. I don't think it would be the best choice for a snowmobile trail drag. These started life as a Excel Hustler Mower, but I would not say, "just a mower". These where big mowers driving big mower decks. ( Youtube Excel Hustler and you will find some mowing) You could run three decks with this one machine, two wing mowers and one front mount mower. The conversion kits were well done, as is the blade and tracksetter. Like every machine, it has its special purpose. That being said, while I don't have the mower attachements for this machine, they can be found on the internet for pretty low cost. So if one does buy this machine, they can also convert it back to a mower and use it year round.

Bruce

R

Reddog

I spent tons of hours grooming in one of these up in Crested Butte. They make nice machines for XC grooming in levelish terrain where there is not epic snowfall. They lack flotation (although I usually had the compactor bar on with 2 tracksetters, so it would be considerably lighter without that...) and ours was a little lacking in power, but it was at 9800'.
All that said, it was very dependable, had a great plow and in most cases was a great little groomer that was economical to run. Good heat, not too noisy and easy to operate and trailer. I think most will agree that while this particular effort to make a "snowcat" was not their biggest success, in general, Excel makes good stuff.
This one looks nice and will make a fantastic rig for someone. GLWS!!! :clap:

cootbruce

The Excel Hustler Snowcat has a Ford industrial engine....model VSG 411. It is a four cyl. gasoline engine. Big radiator for excellent cooling when mowing. Really good heater, defroster too.

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I would be interested in the Track setter / compactor if that helps your sale.......

Mike

cootbruce

Thanks Mike,

I mostly likely will not split it out from the machine....The machine works well as a XC groomer and the track setter was built for that machine. But thanks for the offer.......how are your projects coming??

Bruce

yooper

Thanks again Mark,
Just wanted more cab room, ended up with a 2002 VMC RT01 with plow. See yu in Bessemer.

Yooper

cootbruce

This machine along with the Ski Dozer 302 with man lift will be at the Midwest Cat Clowder if anyone there would like to look at them.

Thanks

cootbruce

Both machines remain for sale.....with spring coming....I am ready to "make a deal..." I need the room for another project coming into my shop and don't like to see these machines sit outside over the summer.