Forums Forums - Off Topic Forum FUN

Go Back   Forums Forums - Off Topic Forum FUN > Agriculture & DIY Forums > Other Projects Forum

Old 08-11-2012, 01:18 AM
Gold Member

Thanked 2,498 Times in 1,229 Posts
EastTexFrank will become famous soon enough
Default Re: What size concrete pad would you use?

Dargo, like you, I got tired of burning up fridges and freezers and losing everything in them as well as miscellaneous electrical stuff in the house every time there was a spike. And, just like you, the electric company denied all responsibility for any of it. However, when we were discussing it, they said that they could install a whole house surge suppressor for the installation fee, equipment fee and a few dollars on my monthly bill. So for a few hundred dollars I had it done and haven't lost anything to a power surge in 7 years and we get them all the time. We had 5 power blips just the other night during our 20 minute gully washer and before that would have almost guaranteed smoking something.

So, the equipment is out there. I don't know much about the equipment itself as I just told them, "Do it" and they did.

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them. John Wayne as JB Books in "The Shootist".
Old 08-11-2012, 09:18 AM
Like a bad penny...

Dargo will become famous soon enough

Thanks, I'll certainly try that route. Wife just told me our 2 year old stackable front loading washer and drier are fried. If I recall correctly, there goes another 3 grand or so and a half day wasted.
Old 08-11-2012, 09:23 AM
Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt

Thanked 6,682 Times in 2,914 Posts
Melensdad has a spectacular aura aboutMelensdad has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastTexFrank View Post
. . . they said that they could install a whole house surge suppressor for the installation fee, equipment fee and a few dollars on my monthly bill. . .
Mine was installed after a couple fried computers and TV sets. However mine was installed by a commercial electrician, rather than the power company. Have not had a problem since.

"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion:
the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases,
while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage
of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force."
- Ayn Rand
Old 08-11-2012, 09:40 AM
Super Moderator

Thanked 1,342 Times in 682 Posts
bczoom will become famous soon enoughbczoom will become famous soon enough
Style: T66

What was the cause of the electric spike?

I find it interesting that the power company isn't going to pay. I encountered a spike once that toasted everything that was running at the time. It took awhile to get to the right person/people at the power company, but they did pay.

I thought they had to guarantee the voltage +/- a few percent. Spikes and brownouts are the power companies problem (and liability).
Old 08-13-2012, 07:54 PM
Like a bad penny...

Ah ha! Found what I needed. Installation this week.

Square D Surgebreaker

After talking to all the commercial electricians this last week, if anyone has any amount of expensive electronics in their home, I'd highly recommend having this installed. I lost 2 refrigerators, 3 flat panel TV's, my coffee maker, a dryer and 3 dehumidifiers...that I've found so farIt's far, far less than you think. (Hint: I paid more for my APC battery backup/surge protector unit for my computer in my office).
Old 09-07-2012, 06:22 PM
Like a bad penny...

Severe thunderstorm warnings, tornado watches, flash flood watches etc. are forecasted for us tonight. Fortunately, after being back-ordered, my final piece of backup power and surge/lightning protection came in and my electricians installed my Square D "Whole House Surge Protector" earlier today. I have 100 gallons of diesel in the 110 gallon tank, all has been load tested and the electrical inspector just left after giving me a final completion green tag for my generator and surge protection electrical work.

Now just wait, after our power always goes out, it won't go out tonight. Oh well, that would probably be best. I should finally be set for outages and heavy power spikes. Power spikes have cost me about half as much as all my generator and surge protection equipment has. Our power company has multiple law firms backing them where you're guaranteed to never get anything from them. Anyway, here is the final piece of the puzzle (I hope).

Also pictured is my breaker box/transfer switch box area before whole house surge protector was installed and outside unit. The grass has grown up around the outside unit now with a passion. I waaaay over seeded it and put down plenty of fertilizer. Now that we've gotten rain after having the driest summer on record, it needs mowing about 3 times per week!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0802.jpg (48.2 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0628.jpg (125.8 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0666_edited-1.jpg (86.8 KB, 18 views)