• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Removed the fuel tank from my Jeepster . . .

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
My '67 Jeepster was leaking fuel. In fact leaking is not accurate, it was pretty spewing fuel and it was dripping down (more like a waterfall) off the top of the fuel tank. Couldn't see the source to only had one option.

But its a 2 man job. Not because it is too heavy, but because its just awkward. So I had 2 men come over to the house :whistling:

Put the Jeepster up onto the lift and removed the fuel filler tube so we could siphon out the gas from the tank to remove the weight. Only got a little fuel in my mouth/on my face, 95% of it went into a waiting container.

We then scoped out the job. 3 bolts hold the tank into place. Removed the tank and found 2 totally rotten hoses on the top of the tank that were the causes of the leaks. Of course I didn't have that hoses.

So a quick trip to the NAPA store for 2 new hoses, 4 new hose clamps.

Install the new hoses and get everything clamped into place, start to reinstall the tank and find out that another hose had an issue.

Back to NAPA for another hose, more new clamps.

Reassmble everything and we lift the tank into place, bolt it into place and its all good.

Total time about 3 hours. Total parts cost under $10. 3 men, 3 hoses, 5 clamps, 4 left over washers that came from somewhere, 1 broken fingernail and ZERO busted knuckles.

It is all good becasue the gasoline is no longer spewing out from anywhere except the exhaut pipe :whistling:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 106

deand1

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I had a 2007 Dodge Ram PU with a faulty sending unit. Rather than lowering the tank, the book said to lift the bed off. Solved the problem by unbolting the PU bed and using straps and an overhead lift lifted the bed off the frame.

At first this sounded like a huge job, but turned out to be an easy fix.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I had a 2007 Dodge Ram PU with a faulty sending unit. Rather than lowering the tank, the book said to lift the bed off. Solved the problem by unbolting the PU bed and using straps and an overhead lift lifted the bed off the frame.

At first this sounded like a huge job, but turned out to be an easy fix.
While we were working on it we actually figured that the tank was designed to be taken out from the top, but as you can see from the photo below, the entire body would have had to have been lifted.

MD, is your Jeep stock or have to made any mod's to it?
Mostly stock. No modifications to the running gear. Not lifted. Engine is stock, had to replace the fuel pump last year, but it was replaced an exact replacement. Front seats replaced with high back buckets for safety. I need to replace the original radio, there are some companies that make direct replacements that look like the old radios, but honestly we drive it with the top down and its loud with wind noise so I don't miss not having a working radio.

This is NOT a show car, but it probably could be turned into one pretty easily.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 86