• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

German Meatballs the High Cheese Way

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
These meatballs are fantastic. I never ever get anchovies on my pizza. Never have anchovies on anything. In these meatballs you do not taste the anchovies at all, but they add zest or something I cannot put into words.
Try them you'll like them. :D

German Meatballs, about 6 servings.
(by Member High Cheese of Net Cooking Talk)
http://netcookingtalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22889&highlight=meatballs+german

For the meatballs:
3 lb ground beef (or whatever meat you prefer)
2 eggs
2 T Worcestershire
1/3 c chopped fresh parsley
2 large shallots, minced and lightly sauteed in butter until soft
1 T caraway seed
4 anchovies, mushed into a paste
1/2 c breadcrumbs
zest of one lemon
salt and pepper

After the shallot has cooled, add all ingredients into a bowl and mix with a spoon, then add the beef and mix evenly. I used a 1/4 c spoon to measure out the meatballs to about a golf ball size.

Brown the meatballs in a large fry pan in oil, set aside and remove all but 2 tablespoons of fat from the pan.

For the sauce:

1 large minced shallot
2 T capers
2 minced anchovies
1 T caraway seed
3/4 c dry white wine
1 can of Campbells french onion soup and 1/2 can water
1/2 c chopped fresh parsley
juice of one lemon
1-2 T butter

Add the shallot, capers, andchovy and caraway to the pan, lightly saute until the shallot is translucent. Deglaze with the white wine and add the rest of the ingredients. Bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat, add the meatballs back in the pan to finish cooking, approx 10 more minutes. Remove the meatballs to a plate and continue to cook the sauce until reduced by half original amount. The sauce should be somewhat thick by now. Reduce heat to low simmer, whisk in cold butter to thicken the sauce, check for seasoning. Add the meatballs back to the pan to coat and serve by itself or over egg noodles, etc.

Attachments

• GermanMeatballs1.JPG
    GermanMeatballs1.JPG
    154.1 KB · Views: 97
  • GermanMeatballs3.JPG
    GermanMeatballs3.JPG
    135.8 KB · Views: 93
  • GermanMeatballs2.JPG
    GermanMeatballs2.JPG
    128.7 KB · Views: 94

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
So Doc, if these are "high cheese"...were is the cheese?:yankchain:

These meatballs sound yummy enough I might have to try them soon though...

Regards, Kirk