• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

has anyone made a set if tracks for a snow trac before?

John Lumley

Whilst driving my snowtrac out of its summer hibernation shed today I heard the sickening bang and a track had snapped!! I repaired the other side a few years ago but they have both been looking pretty perished and weak for a while now! I am considering re-making them, just wondering what experiences people have had with re-making a set and if it works out being quite expensive as I can imagine that the rubber and all new nuts and bolts won't be cheap! my snowtrac runs on the 3 band tracks which will make it more pricey again. Thanks.

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Yep ! Plenty of us have rebuilt the tracks . Capitol Rubber can supply the belting . You can punch your own bolt holes using your old pattern . Figure a miniumn of $1000 for belting if it is new stuff from Capitol plus frieght.

Jump in here Snot trac owners and help a fellow owner out . I am a Kristi owner:clap: , but the track rebuild is pretty much the same .

John Lumley

I am in the uk, north east. I saw on the salvage squad program that they got them done at vulcanising south west. So don't know weather to give them a call or if there's anyone else that might be able to supply the rubber?

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Member Ice Queen or some others over there should be able to steer you to the belting. The rest is a whole lot of work but should give you years of service when done.

Nathan R

I rebuilt a set from a place that just sells all sorts of rubber here close to my house and it was only a few hundred dollars. It was a 2 band though.

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
the rubber dosn't have to be something special i believe mine is 3 ply andit's best to get slightly used conveyer belt or pre streatched rubber if you are using the old belts for a pattern as those have all ready streatched i have the mesurements for the 2 band track but have nothing on the 3 band track

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
the 2 band tracks have a much better grouser as far as durability the stamped 3 band grousers look to have a bit more bite. also the 3 band tracks have a wider spread between the drive sprokets which make them more prone to walking out of the tracks when crossing rutts also with no windows under the road wheels these tracks are also prone to building up ice between the guides

fleepavement

I also need to replace the 3 band tracks for my St4. I have seen members in previous rebuild threads mention specifications like pitch and spacing and/or patterns they would provide as has been done for the 2 band style but haven't been able to locate any here or in the manuals yet. Being in Anchorage AK I'm hoping some of the local guys have used Alaska Rubber and they may have the information there. I would appreciate the name of a contact or direction to a drawing in these files. OK, I'll admit to following this forum for a few years and have other track rigs ( DMC 3700, 3500 and Play Cat ) but just got the ST4 in a warm shop today. I'll start a new thread or two with pictures soon but need the track information sooner and in keeping with this thread. Thanks.

Ice Queen

Bronze Member
SUPER Site Supporter
If you have a quarry near you, see if they can supply you with some old conveyor belting, it looks identical to the track rubber on a snowtrac and I got some for free for the space below my barn doors. I am sure it would do for tracks for a snowtrac!

meanjean

I punched my holes for a track refurb job from a rubber conveyor dealer. It looks like a hollow tube, with the hex for chucking on one end, and the business end has a slight wave where it makes first contact with the rubber. ABout $20,, and well worth the cost. Cuts through rubber very easily.