• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Mead

Andrei

Banned
Mead is the oldest known human alcoholic drink.
Evidence suggest that 8000 yrs ago mead was made by humans.
Basically is water and honey and a certain yeast.
In reality is that but you need to learn the invisible world of bacterias and yeast to avoid getting vinegar.
After 3 yrs I can say I like some of my product.
Bleach and boiling water to clean and disinfect and rinse all containers and tools coming in contact with your product.
Then 5 lbs of honey for 1 gall of warm water previously boiled.
All in a glass jug with a bit of commercial dry yeast or natural yeast.
Commercial one can be of many categories like beer, champagne, vine this and wine that.
Natural yeast comes from grapes, elderberries flowers, plums, ......
I place a bubbler and let it ferment for at least 90 days.
Then I do back flavoring.
Split it in different batches where I add some more honey and in one tangerine peals in other lemon peals in other cinnamon sticks in other crushed nutmegs in other mango peals and let it ferment again for 60 - 90 days.
Not all I liked.
I will stick with citrus flavoring.
Some people I know used strawberries for flavoring.
But it sure is smooth and strong.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
I'm enjoying having you on this board. :clap::clap:

I haven't drank any mead in a long, long time. When we lived in England we had a friend who lived in the country. He used to take a backpack with him every evening when he took the dog for a walk. He collected all kinds of berries, flowers and thistles, brought them home and made wine from them. His neighbor started keeping bees in his backyard that he rented out to farmers during the summer. Anyhow, Ken used to get loads of honey from his neighbor and he used to make mead. As I remember, it was a very pleasant drink, sneaky but pleasant. It kind of crept up on you.

When my friend was transferred to Dallas we rented his house for 2 years until my wife was transferred back to Dallas too. We inherited his homemade wine collection. I made one heck of a hole in wine collection in 2 years though. :biggrin::biggrin:

Andrei

Banned
Well, maybe for this threat only since I do have controversial opinions that most people hate.
And, yes, I do unusual things for fun.
My dad used to be a herbal natural doctor and we used to pick berries, leaves and roots of plants on the field and forests.
Wilde rose hips wine is fantastic.

RNE228

Bronze Member
Site Supporter
My brother used my 10 gallon beer brewing setup to do similar some years back. The mead was very good. It did differ from beer, in that it like a longer aging. He only did it the one though. Guess he needs a round tuit.

Andrei

Banned
First fermentation needs to take 90 days or run the risk of getting it sour.
Back up flavoring and second fermentation can be less but what is the hurry?
It does not taste like an alcoholic drink and that makes it tricky.
After you drink it like tea it hits you and need to sit down.

Andrei

Banned
Some sediments settled in the mead so last night I siphoned it with care and placed all sediments in a separate bottle for later use.
Of course did some sampling with ice and it is a very tricky drink.
Smooth and light with tangerine flavor goes down nice but then it absorbs fast and goes to the head very fast.
The nutmeg version did not impress me at all.