• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

22 Sauages From Around The World

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
Ummm that's sausages..:bonk:

Second only to bacon, sausage is the love of my food life. It is considered the prince of meats, to the bacon king. It is so greasy and delicious that it makes my heart flutter just thinking about it. No, wait, that was a heart palpitation. Maybe I should lay off the pork products.

Anywho, sausage is made, eaten and enjoyed all over the world. There are as many variations as there are countries it seems. Here are 22 examples of delicious sausage from 22 different countries representing all the continents, except Antarctica.

England:
Saveloy - A saveloy is a type of highly seasoned pork sausage, usually bright red in color, which is served in English fish and chip shops, sometimes fried in batter.

Croatia:
Kulen - Kulen is a type of flavored sausage made of minced pork. The meat is low-fat, rather brittle and dense, and the flavor is spicy. The red paprika gives it aroma and color, and garlic adds spice.

Germany:
Bockwurst - The sausage is traditionally made from ground veal and pork. In modern Germany, however, it is made from different types of ground meat, such as pork, lamb, turkey, and chicken. Bockwurst is flavored with salt, white pepper and paprika. Other spices, such as chives and parsley, are often also added and in Germany itself bockwurst is often smoked as well.

Hungary:
Gyulai - It is named after the Hungarian town of Gyula. The sausage may be cut into thin slices and eaten alone or with bread. They are also added to many Hungarian dishes.

Italy:
Cotechino Modena - Fresh sausage made from pork, fatback, and pork rind, and comes from Modena, Italy.

Netherlands:
Rookworst - Rookworst is a smoked sausage. It is often eaten with stamppot, a vegetable mash.

Denmark:
Medisterpølse - A thick, spicy sausage made of minced pork stuffed into pig intestines. The spices generally used are allspice, cloves, salt and pepper.

Sweden:
Falukorv - Falukorv is a large traditional Swedish sausage made of a grated mixture of pork and beef or veal with potato starch flour and mild spices.

Finland:
Mustamakkara - Mustamakkara is a type of Finnish blood sausage traditionally eaten with lingonberry jam. Mustamakkara is made by mixing pork, pig blood, crushed rye and flour, after which it is stuffed into the intestines of an animal like most sausages.

Poland:
Kabanos - Kabanos is an Polish sausage made of pork. They are most commonly dry to very dry in texture and smoky in flavor. Kabanos is often seasoned only with pepper.

Switzerland:
Cervelat - Cervelat is a type of cooked sausage consisting of a mixture of beef, bacon and pork rind that is packed into zebu intestines, slightly smoked and then boiled.

Turkey:
Sujuk - Sujuk consists of ground meat (usually beef) with various spices including cumin, sumac, garlic, salt, and red pepper, fed into a sausage casing and allowed to dry for several weeks. It can be more or less spicy; it is fairly salty and has a high fat content.

United States of America:
Breakfast sausage - Made from uncooked ground pork mixed with pepper, sage, and other spices.

Mexico:
Chorizo - Made out of pork or beef salivary glands. It is fresh and usually deep red in color.

Argentina:
Longaniza - Like chorizo, but very long, cured and dried, and gets its particular flavor from ground anise seeds. This results in a very particular aroma, and a mildly sweet flavour that contrasts with the strong salty taste of the stuffing.

China:
Lap Cheong - Dried pork sausages that look and feel like pepperoni, but are much sweeter.

South Korea:
Sundae - A form of blood sausage, traditional in Korea. A popular street food, sundae is normally prepared by steaming or boiling cow or pig intestines stuffed with various ingredients. The most common variation is composed of pork blood, cellophane noodles, and barley stuffed into pig intestines.

Philippines:
Longaniza - There are regional varieties such as Vigan (with lots of garlic and not sweet) Lucban (lots of oregano and pork fat is chunky) Most longanisas contain Prague powder and are hardly smoked and usually sold fresh.

Thailand:
Sai-Ua - Made with minced pork as well as herbs and chilli paste.

North Africa:

Merguez is a red, spicy sausage from Morocco, Algeria, Tunisia and Libya, North Africa. Merguez is made with lamb, beef, or a mixture of both. It can be flavored with a wide range of spices, such as sumac for tartness, and paprika, Cayenne pepper, or harissa, a hot chili paste that gives it a red color. It is stuffed into a lamb casing, rather than a pork casing. It is traditionally made fresh and eaten grilled or with couscous.

South Africa:
Boerewors - Made from coarsely minced beef and spices (usually toasted coriander seed, black pepper, nutmeg, cloves and allspice). It is preserved with salt and vinegar, and packed in sausage casings.

Australia:
Devon - Some would classify it as a luncheon meat. It is similar in appearance and taste to boloney. It is usually composed of several types of pork, basic spices, and a binder.

Lia

Banned
I like sausages also... I especially like the Kulen, and the Falukorv. Sausages are rather more versatile than people think and can be incorporated into lots of recipes. Good post pg. Interesting.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I like sausages also... I especially like the Kulen, and the Falukorv. Sausages are rather more versatile than people think and can be incorporated into lots of recipes. Good post pg. Interesting.

:yum: Its early and first time I read your post I looked right over the word think when reading the highlighted portion. :yum: :hide:

Good post PG. Now, I wonder what I'll have for breakfast! Maybe SAUSAGE!!!!!! or at least Sausage gravy! :thumb:

Lia

Banned
:yum: Its early and first time I read your post I looked right over the word think when reading the highlighted portion. :yum: :hide:

lol. Take heart, it ain't nearly as bad as gaffs I make at times, trust me. :smile:

pixie

SUPER Site Supporter
Interesting...

Chorizo is made out of salivary glands ??? That's all ??? That's weird :unsure:

norscaner

I have used chorizo in a recipe from Portugal . It was a very spicy sausage and very chewy. Almost like it had gristle and lesser cuts of meat. I was not impressed with it.
On the otherhand Bockwurst is a very nice sausage, much like a bratwurst but with a more subtle taste of spices.

I love smoking sausage nummy:smile:

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
If you haven't had Kabanos, you should. Get dried, sometimes called double-smoked, kabanos. You eat it cold, like a snack stick. All polish Deli's sell it. The most popular American "brand" would be Bobak's.