• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Cast Iron

Umberto

I was thinking we had a discussion about this but couldn't find the thread. I have a big collection of cast iron skillets and dutch ovens but could never find an affordable #9 or #10 Griswold skillet. Last week i notice the thrift store had several Lodge skillets to include a large one that had a rust patina. I went back today and it was still there and picked it up for 15 bucks. The thing has never been used! I cleaned the rust up with an SOS pad, voted it with canola oil and it's now resting in a 400 degree oven for an hour or so. I'll fry bacon in it for BLT's tomorrow and fish on Friday. :big grin:

FullSizeRender%205_4.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

JEV

Mr. Congeniality
GOLD Site Supporter
Good find on the pan, even though it's twice what I pay for cast iron in thrift stores here in Ohio.

Didn't read the directions, but I always thinly coat new cast iron and season at 350F for an hour, with the pan upside down. I like to throw a piece of foil on the bottom of the oven to catch any drips. Keeps down the smoke in the kitchen.:brows:

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
I have one cast iron skillet. It's a Lodge with the extra handle at the top.
Bought it almost 12 years ago when I moved back here from England and it's served me well through the years.
Right now it sits inside the oven on the top rack (it's home) and is kept clean and wiped with an oiled paper towel after every use.
I have a gas stove and I think it being kept warmish inside that environment keeps it as nice as it is.

Umberto

My buddy in Olympia has made some excellent buys on Griswold and Wagner cast iron at garage sales in Olympia. He got me the Wagner chicken fryer for $5 and right now, it's the one I use the most. Here all the antique shops have the stuff priced sky high and according to the Griswold collectors book. I've been able to get a few things at the big antique show at the fairgrounds but they're pricy, too.

Tonight I'll fry bacon in the big one for BLT's and Friday night fish. It's too darn big to keep in the kitchen so it'll be relegated to the camping gear in the garage.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
My wife doesn't use cast iron SKILLETS for cooking but does have quite a few cast iron DUTCH OVENS in various shapes and sizes.

These [PHOTO BELOW] are all from STAUB, but she has some other brands and shapes. I think she has used all of these except for the green one (second from left) because that was given to her as a Christmas gift and she just didn't get to it yet.

She's also got one shaped like a big green apple (not STAUB), and some regular oval dutch ovens from other companies.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 90

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
I have an old cast iron frying pan I inherited from my grandmother. As a child I recall her using it to make me special crepes. I never did get her recipe but figured out my own and use that pan only for crepes now.

As for Dutch ovens. I have two. One for home and one for camp that is used to deep fry fresh walleye

Umberto

I'm hungry for some walleye but will have to be happy with ling cod and black rock fish. :unsure:

I used to fish out of Keewatin, Ontario but we mostly caught northern's and they were excellent, IMHO. (and drank a lot of Black Label)

luvs

'lil yinzer~
GOLD Site Supporter
i have lodge & that is pre-seasoned, & i get another person's throw-away skillets @ flea markets, too.

Umberto

that's cool, luvs, I got a nice one at garage sale, a heavy #7 for 50 cents. It belonged to the lady's grandmother and she no longer had need for it. I use it all the time and am glad to have it.

I have one that went through the Xenia tornado that my SIL found in a farm field while helping with clean up.