• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Dill Pickle Recipes

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
Since I retired, I have taken up canning. Mostly pickles and such. I have bought a pressure cooker for meats, but that is another ball game for me.

I have a few pretty good dill pickle recipes that are OK. Variations with garlic and hot pepper for a little spiceness. :smile:

Does anyone here have a pet dill pickle recipe they are proud of and willing to share? I have planted some cucumber beds for fall and would like to be ready to go by then which should be no big deal.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Mrs. Zoom does the recipes. Not sure if they're written down or makes them up since no 2 batches taste the same.

Don't forget the Pickle Crisp!!!

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
Yes, I have the pickle crisp. Come to find out, that stuff is nothing but calcium chloride! The same stuff maybe they spread on our roads in the winter? :yum: Oh, forgot to mention, I am growing fresh dill this year so that is what I hope to be using instead of the dried dill seed/weed.

Umberto

This is something I do every year.

Adapted from a recipe by Greg Higgins, a Portland, Oregon chef and restauranteur.

Quick and easy.

----------

4 quarts of pickling cucumbers rinsed well
16 large garlic cloves, peeled and sliced
4 heads of fresh pickling dill, halved
about 1/2 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes
1 quart cider vinegar
1 quart water
1/4 cup pickling spices
1/2 cup pickling salt
2 Tablespoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
1 cup chopped fresh pickling dill

(BTW, you do not need CACl2, either.)

Wash two half-gallon, 4 quart or 8 pint jars. Keep hot untill needed. Prepare lids as manufacturer directs.

Pack the cucumbers into the jars, leaving 1/2 inch head space. Divide the sliced pieces of garlic and halved heads of fresh pickling dill among the jars. Add a pinch (about 1/8 of a teaspoon) of the dried red pepper flakes to each jar.

Prepare the brine by combining the vinegar, water, pickling spices, salt, sugar, turmeric and 1 cup of chopped fresh dill in a non-aluminum pot. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Strain off the seasonings from the brine and ladle the hot brine into a jar at a time, leaving 1/4 inch head space. Wipe jar rim with a clean, damp cloth. Attach lid. Fill and close remaining jars. Let cool to room temp, then store in the refrigerator. The pickles are ready to use after three or four days of aging, but they will continue to improve further for several weeks. They will keep, refrigerated, for about a year. I've kept them in my cold garage and they were just fine.