• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Retiring the grill

freebird

Well in another post I listed all the cooking were going to do this weekend. Honey asks, "Whatcha gonna cook tonight dear?" I replied, first I gotta work on the grill some, come look...
oldtop.JPG

oldside.JPG

Well, that ended that discussion, so we went to the mainland for all our shopping and came home with this.

open.JPG

closed.JPG

It was on sale at Lowes, $349.oo and we got the LAST one.It's a Char-Broil "Commercial" series. It only took 3 beers to assemble. I was really impressed that all the nuts were spot welded on. It all went together with a phillips and flat screwdriver.

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
I do believe I have the exact same model. I got it last year (for Memorial Day!), and I really love it. The Charbroil grills seem to have their hotspot in the back, and to the left.

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
freebird said:
Ok, thanks, I'll note that this weekend!
One other thing....there are NO PLACES to hang you brush, scraper, tongs, flipper.

You are going to need to do some in the field engineering to figure out the best method. I added some large hooks inside the doors, but that won't work if you have long utensils.

Dutch-NJ

Last week my wife bought and paid for one of those $349 stainless grills. When she returned with my truck to pick it up, they had sold it to another customer. So, they upgraded her to the $499 grill for the same price. She was delighted. I hope the rest of the family and friends are delighted too.

I’m sure I’ll get a full report when I come home from my full course Memorial Day dinner of veal saltimbocca prepared to perfection in Giovanni’s air conditioned restaurant.

I’ll miss out on all the food with the hint of propane flavor.

The “sad” part is, I’ll be eating alone. There won’t be any kids to keep me company by leaning into my food or spilling drinks on my plate.

Somehow I’ll have to deal with the loneliness of not hearing the talk about pesky insects, unbearable heat, blazing sun, rain, and wind. Giovanni's has a roof and walls.

The only job I'll have is to pickup all the trash and uneaten food Tuesday morning that the animals will surely have ripped apart and spread around Monday night after everyone leaves and goes to bed.

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
It's interesting that there is a post about grills. I've been going like a ball of fire so far this holiday weekend. I got up first thing this morning and split two truck loads of red oak firewood for next year, put it on pallets and stored it. I then spent about an hour researching what I wanted in a gas grill and then went and made my kill...er, purchase. They had free assembly, but after the job I saw on the ones they assembled, I took my chances on just getting a new one in the box. Anyway, here is what I just finished assembling: Vermont Castings grill

Prices ranged from just over a hundred bucks (my past few grills) to almost $5000. :eek: I'm yet to use it, but as soon as I cool off from splitting all that wood and assembling the grill, I intend to give it a try. I did notice that it uses a AAA battery for it's ignition system. I'd never seen that before. Oh well, it worked.

I'm going to float in the pool with a frozen drink or two and then try my hand at using my new grill. :thumb:

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I use a natural gas Phoenix grill. Have had it for quite a few years. Heavy gauge stainless steel, no hotspots because it has a heat diffuser under the grate that drains the drippings into a drip bucket. The only problem we've had with it is that the igniter has gone out a couple times. We use ours year round, just dust the snow off of it and fire it up in the winter. Never had a cover on it because it is used so often.

Anyone looking for a natural gas, permanant mount grill, I would highly recommend it.

BTW, we have a "tailgate" sized Weber BabyQ grill that is also pretty darn awesome. They make a full size unit too. Both use propane torch canisters or you can get an adapter hose for a 20 pound tank. We travel with the BabyQ and can highly recommend it.

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
My nieghbor has that AAA battery set up on his new stainless steel grill. I must say it works alot nicer than my push button sparker ever did thats built into my grill which had died after about two years. I am sure though that all the smoken wood I use had something to do with that. Oh well I have a torch set up just for my grill. I love to barbeque during the winter also. So my grill does get heavily used all year. 3 to 4 times a week summer and about 2 times a week during the winter depending on outside conditions. Snowing is fine but no heavy winds. Let us know how you like that stainless grill. That looks like the one my Nieghbor bought as well.

freebird

I added a rack this morning, Have a look. I also recommend the polish they sell for them, it buffed out real nicely.
rack.JPG

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Looks like a very nice set up. I notice that there are 4 control knobs for the grill. Would that be 2 for each side, front and back?

johnday

The Crazy Scot, #3
SUPER Site Supporter
Wow!!! Did you guys get ripped!!!:wtf: Pay for a lousy grille when they're free for the taking at walFart? They even come with wheels, and a nice warmer basket. They work great over one of those culvert type galvanized fire rings. Why, walFart even leaves them outside at night for anyone that wants one.

I don't know what kinda grille Brent has, but with all that firewood he chopped, that'd be a whole lot cheaper than gas!:poke::tiphat::beer::beer: