• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Need to buy a new company car - HELP

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
My sales manager would prefer a company car instead of a raise. I have no problem with that, but now need to figure out what to get him.

Please help me with some recommendations, but please limit your recommendations to the following brands only (there are dealers very close to the office for these brands)
  • Chrysler
  • Jeep
  • Dodge
  • Honda (never dealt with this one but hear good things)
  • Nissan
  • Volvo
  • Ford (I really dislike this dealer and would prefer to eliminate them)
Of those above brands, what I am looking for is a 4-door, mid-size vehicle that gets good fuel economy.
  • "Street price" should not exceed $25,000. Willing to buy a 'demo.'
  • Vehicle must have automatic transmission, AC, power windows.
  • HWY fuel economy should be at least 28 mpg.
Any thoughts?

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I don't see GM in your list. Is there a reason?

My vote would be for a Honda Accord... Buy it, do some oil changes now and then and for the most part, it'll probably never see the dealer service department.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Brian, I only listed dealers that are essentially within a golf ball's hitting distance from my front door. The exception to the list is the Volvo/Nissan dealer simply because we have a long term relationship with that dealer.

I suppose I could add a Chevy dealer to the list. There is one that is reasonably close, about a block away. We've purchased from them, but only based on price, not on service. So let's go ahead and add Chevy to the list. The dealer doesn't impress me too much. But I suppose they impress me more than the Ford dealer that is across the street from my office.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
If it were me, I'd go for the Honda Accord. I don't think you could go wrong with it, especially for someone driving on the road allot. I had one I put 160k on. No major issues. Had to replace the exhaust system and brakes and thats it. The power antenna broke right before I got rid of it, but I did not fix that. I'd buy one again.
Nissan's quality might have improved, but in the late eighties and early 90's I had one that was not so dependable. I've always heard Jeeps are made for fun, but because of that need more maintenence.
But ...after all this rambling, what does your salesman want? Maybe let him pick it out.

The chevy monte carlo looks nice. If it would be close to as dependable as the honda that would be my second choice of what you've listed so far.
My sister in law has one now and has had no issues with it. Nice looking car!

OkeeDon

My son is a real estate appraiser who works for a major, nationwide savings bank based in California. All of their appraisers are given "penniless" company cars; that is, the cars don't cost them one penny -- all maintenance, insurance and fuel costs are paid, even for commuting or personal use.

They have a LOT of company cars, and they are a fiscally conservative bank, so my guess is their fleet department has done a lot of research into the best company cars.

When he started, staff appraisers were given a Ford Focus and appraisal managers were given a Taurus. He had a Focus, then moved to a Taurus when he became a manager. Shortly after he started, they switched to Honda. Now, all appraisers get a Honda Civic 4 door, regardless of their managerial status.

The cars are kept until they reach 80,000 miles. Adam's Taurus is just about nearing that, so he will be getting a Civic, soon.

The employees are permitted to do minor things at their own expense, such as tint the windows, but nothing that will move them out of the mainstream or hurt resale value.

Because this is a bank which knows how to manage it's money, and because appraisers put enormous amounts of mileage on their cars in a short time, my guess is that the bank purchases the cars outright rather than leasing them.

The only reason I can offer for their switch from Ford to Honda is that their research showed that Honda had the best combination of purchase price, maintenance costs and resale value.

While Adam is not status conscious, he is 6'4" tall, and therefore wishes that managers were upgraded to an Accord rather than the Civic. He was a lot happier with the larger Taurus compared to the Focus. This bank's appraisers generally work out of their cars and often complete their reports in the car, using Sprint or Verizon broadband wireless internet to communicate with the central computers and do their research in both public and private databases. Even though he is a manager responsible for hiring and firing, training and managing a staff of appraisers, he also does his own production, usually taking the harder appraisals in order to get them done, and cherry-picking some of the easier ones to balance that off.

Therefore the company car is probably the best "perk" that the bank offers, and they would likely have a revolution on their hands if they picked the wrong one.

I'm sure most of the others would also do a good job, but sometimes it pays to follow the lead of the big boys.

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
:D :D :D Thanks guys. Maybe Bob will quit laughing at me for buying an '06 Accord EX. Yeah, I got "cheap". I set out to buy an Acura RL, but honestly liked the V6 Accord better. (well, actually just as well)

After driving luxury cars for years, about the only thing that the Accord doesn't have that I like is the automatic headlights. I haven't touched a headlight switch for years! It's a good thing for me that the lights go off after a while before killing the battery. :eek:

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Dargo, I only laughed at YOU for buying the Honda. My brother owns one and loves his. My friend also has one and loves it.

So here is a question for all of you. Based on "LIST" PRICES and also based on EPA fuel use estimates. I have no idea if any discounts are available.

What would you choose to buy your employee & why:

Accord Hybrid - $30,690 - 37mpg Highway
Accord LX V-6 - $24,500 - 30mpg Highway

The guy drives 25,000+ miles per year. 70% of his mileage is highway. Both of the above vehicles are equipped similarly. Gas in my area is $2.29 to $2.35 per gallon today. We keep our cars until they are dead and won't run anymore or until they fall apart and won't run anymore, whichever comes first.

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Right off the top I would recommend a Chevy Impala, the 3.4L gets 30 mpg if driven the speed limit. I average 28 GPM in my Monte Carlo with the 3.4, but I drive well above the speed limit most of the time.....:cool: ! I have got as much as 31.5 GPM when I behave. I check my milage damn near every tank on any vehicle I drive at the time!

Wifes drives a Ford Tauras 3.0L company car. Less room and gets around 27 GPM.

She is ordering a new company car this month and is going with the Dodge Charger 3.5L. Lots a room and listed at 28 GPM.

All well within your price range!

Don't matter what you get as long as you have AAA..........:rofl1: !

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
Big Dog said:
Wifes drives a Ford Tauras 3.0L company car. Less room and gets around 27 GPM.

What the...!?!?!?

Is that the new Ford M1A1 Turbine Powered Taurus? :rofl1:

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Let me AMEND the list.
  • We ruled out Ford because we really dislike the dealership.
  • We ruled out Nissan & Volvo because we already have vehicles from that joint dealership and they changed ownership and their service dropped dramatically.
  • We ruled out Jeep because of fuel economy.
  • We ruled out Chrysler because we don't like the Sebring sedan.

We added Chevrolet because of the new Impala.
We added VW because I bought one for me and am very impressed with the quality. So the new list looks like this:
  • Dodge - Charger
  • Honda - Accord
  • Chevy - Impala
  • VW - Passat
Any thoughts on the above 4 brands/models?

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I'd go with the accord v6. Not the hybrid. JMHO

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Dargo said:
I'd buy a CK30! More bang for your buck!!:D

I thought we left TBN to escape the TROLLS who injected brands that were not requested! :moon:

As for the Honda, that is probably the top of the list right now. The regular verson, not the Hybrid. Based on what I can see, the Hybrid costs $6190.00 more up front, but only saves less than $400 per year based on 25,000 miles per year. There is NO ECONOMIC SENSE in buying the Hybrid.

The Passat is probably in 2nd place right now. It has a 4 year warrenty versus Honda's 3 year. It also costs a bit more and the dealer is not as convenient. User ratings at Edmonds.com have actual users rating the Passat marginally higher than the Honda. I can't speak to any of these specific vehicles, but I am still finding little things about my Touareg that impress the heck out of me and almost once a week I find some new feature that I didn't know about before. So probably more than anything, the fact that I am seriously impressed with the Touareg is why we are considering the Passat so heavily.

I'm a bit concerned about reliability in the Charge and the Impala. Both are brand new platforms - models. I'd rather get the bugs worked out of them. On that score, the Honda would win hands down, it is the most evolved of the 4 brands/cars.

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
B_Skurka said:
...TROLLS who injected brands that were not requested! :moon:

:D The DK65 has a Perkins engine and weighs way more than what you are considering!

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Dargo said:
:D The DK65 has a Perkins engine and weighs way more than what you are considering!

Yep, everyone knows the more it weighs the better (unless we're talking girlfriends). :)

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Dargo and Doc, the problem is I want to use this car to mow the lawn, so I need a lightweight car, preferably with an engine that sips fuel. Excellent ergonomics are a must, so really that is pushing toward the European cars, but the Japanese do a good job of that too.

I don't see the quality level in the Korean offerings, even with an excellent Perkins engine, I'm gonna have to pass on a heavyweight. BTW for a real heavyweight, see this http://www.forumsforums.com/3_9/showthread.php?p=7431#post7431

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
Fine. Be that way. I won't be offended that you don't buy what I have. I'll just follow you around on threads and remind you that I got more bang for my buck and mine has more beef. ;)

P.S. You're sick!!!!!!!!!:smileywac

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Dargo said:
P.S. You're sick!!!!!!!!!:smileywac

Heck I'm not sick, I'm luvable! I don't even have to wear my heart on my sleeve for you to see how luvable I am. But I thought we were supposed to be talking about CARS!

Attachments

• f1.jpg
    f1.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 133

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Dargo said:

The DK45s is the perfect compromise, I know I have one and I know I'm right!

TOMLESCOEQUIP

Just Plinkin Away the $$
Big Dog said:
The DK45s is the perfect compromise, I know I have one and I know I'm right!
We could get Mith to build you a cab out of an old snap-on toolbox & a refrigerator and your guy would be all set !

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Well we bought the VW Passat. Got a good price on it ($23,350) and it came with way more options than I figured we could get including the leather package, real wood dash, heated seats, power everything, etc. I have no clue what color it is. But I told the salesman we'd take it as long as it is not pink.

But I do want to send out a special thank you to those of you who suggested I buy a Kioti. After being attacked again on TBN today, I think I'm done with that brand and will officially shift myself into the 'biased' category.

Last edited:

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
You're gonna regret that damn Pissant! A Kioti is much beefier and you could have gotten a Perkins and counted the hours in your signature line for us.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Well I'm not going to be driving this car so I doubt I will regret it too much. All I care about is that it is well balanced so it doesn't tip over like that cabbed DK45 did (on the other site) and is light enough to roll over the lawn without rutting. Get it through your thick skull man, this is a mowing machine!!!

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
B_Skurka said:
Well we bought the VW Passat...

Uh, oh. My attorney (fellow Caveman) bought his wife a Passant and she has gotten 3 speeding tickets (shhhh, and 1 DUI) this year in the car. Consider yourself warned.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Just thinking here, but are you and I the only 2 Wabash graduates who are not either lawyers or doctors? Seriously the % of grads from 'bash who go into business must be something similar to the market share of Kioti (1%).

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
B_Skurka said:
are you and I the only 2 Wabash graduates who are not either lawyers or doctors?
Under-achievers don't bother us and are welcome. :rofl1:

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
bczoom said:
Under-achievers don't bother us and are welcome. :rofl1:

Call me silly, but I always figured that lawyers didn't get paid if they didn't see clients or go to court. :argue:

Doctors only get paid when they are in the room with a sick person. :puke2:

A businessman gets paid when other people do the work that he directs them to do. :sun1: :3_7_11v:
Call that under-achieving if you want :tiphat: