• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Driverless cars and the future...

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Personally I like to drive. I spend countless hours with a steering wheel in my hands.... I take it seriously, and in all my years and countless miles, I have had not a single wreck or injury there of...

But it is patently obvious to me there are great pressures at work to create driverless cars and trucks, being waged upon those who think they have the right to take us out of our drivers seat, because humans are not perfect, and wreck cars and trucks with abandon.. SO we can not be trusted to do it ourselves...

So off in the future, and now we have no drivers. Who is to say that the powers that be will not control us, but in fact will be able to do so because they CAN control your transportation device, that thing you used to drive by yourself? I mean if GPS and a device do your driving for you, can not that same device be controlled or shut off, or limit you to were some one else wants you to go? I for one would be quite surprised if the powers that be would not build in their form of control.... If you can not be trusted to drive, and give this right away to those who will take it, can they be trusted to let you go were and when, you want to?

Or am I just being overly cautious, and untrusting of the powers that be???

I think we as a nation should have a voice in all of this some how...

What say you?

Regards, Kirk

Last edited:

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
I don't see how strictly driverless cars will work. I'm thinking of one example. Pulling a camper. How will a driverless vehicle pull into a park. Back a 30ft trailer into a site. That's just one example. Yah...around the city going from point a to b, a driverless car might work. We're a long way off from that.

Canadian eh!!!

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I hope your a long way off from it as well.. But I know that is were we are heading a break neck speed as well...

I read 3 to 5 years before these first generation are on the streets.. Urban area's it might work for commuters, maybe... If the electronics and GPS fails, you have to wonder how tech companies would deal with the legal ramifications of potential lawsuits...

We use this driverless auto steering, albeit crude version for Agriculture on our machinery. Makes really straight rows, and oh so neat looking fields. But I can tell you from experience it is far from fool proof in that application..

Regards, Kirk

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
I'm also thinking of all of us outdoors enthusiasts. I can't see how a driverless vehicle will take me down a bush road onto a goat trail side road crawling along at walking speeds climbing over rocks and going through mud puddles looking for birds and other animals during hunting season. With roads so grown in you can barely make them out.

Canadian eh!!!

Bamby

If you were to look at google maps even driveways are included in the maps. I've seen private farm roads that have never been open to the public show up clearly on the map. So what I'm proposing is that self driving vehicles will incapable by default of going anywhere off the map. And many of the trails you're mentioning would likely be excluded from the map or operational area.

Bamby

Or am I just being overly cautious, and untrusting of the powers that be???

I think we as a nation should have a voice in all of this some how...

What say you?

Regards, Kirk

Why do you feel we should or will have a voice? Have you observed the fact that the real power actually lies in the Insurance Industry. Yea the states can and will issue DUI's, and speeding tickets but the real punishment comes out of your pocketbook by the insurance industry for years at high risk rates.

I figure once the get self driving vehicles down pat a person won't have a choice unless they can afford paying extremely high insurance rates for the privilege of driving.

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Why do you feel we should or will have a voice? Have you observed the fact that the real power actually lies in the Insurance Industry. Yea the states can and will issue DUI's, and speeding tickets but the real punishment comes out of your pocketbook by the insurance industry for years at high risk rates.

I figure once the get self driving vehicles down pat a person won't have a choice unless they can afford paying extremely high insurance rates for the privilege of driving.

Yes I agree about the insurance companies driving this issue... Warren Buffet is all over this argument for instance. He has invested in self driving technologies for this reason..

But the reason I feel we should have a say is that the roads are public, built by tax payers, and that is US... So this is the grounds I make my argument on..

Insurance Companies are in it for their own profits. Nothing more or less about that.. As if they are not profitable now? Lol give me a break...

We as tax payers should get ahead of this issue, and find out what the American people really want by determining where the majority of people are on the issue..

Regards, Kirk

Bamby

Unfortunately I feel we are going to haft to take the steering wheel out of peoples hands. Simply because they refuse to remove the damn cell phones from their hands.

I've never been put in the ditch by a drunk but I've been pushed into several by people preoccupied by their cell phones. I seen it, I mean I'm a looking right at them as I'm navigating my way around them on the shoulder of the road.

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Unfortunately I feel we are going to haft to take the steering wheel out of peoples hands. Simply because they refuse to remove the damn cell phones from their hands.

I've never been put in the ditch by a drunk but I've been pushed into several by people preoccupied by their cell phones. I seen it, I mean I'm a looking right at them as I'm navigating my way around them on the shoulder of the road.

That is a familiar argument, with one we are all familiar with.. Firearms..

Take them because of a few stupid and irresponsible ones... :hammer:

When will personal responsibility be placed on the drivers? When will make the penalties high enough people pay attention? We have already technologies on the market that will disable a phone in the car. Why not make it mandatory on all cars? It could be made to work only when the car is in motion, meaning you must stop to use your phone.. I see other ways to deal with phones, that do not require driverless cars, that are quite a leap to solve the texting/phone issue if you ask me..

Regards, Kirk

road squawker

GOLD Site Supporter
... edit...eaning you must stop to use your phone.. I see other ways to deal with phones,....

Regards, Kirk

Of course they can be disabled, almost every cell phone has a GPS, determining speed is a simple software issue. moving above (say) 15 mph and the phone doesn't work except for 911.

But,............. it would be political suicide for any politician.

mla2ofus

GOLD Site Supporter
Due to my age I just can't bring myself to trusting a computer to drive a vehicle because all electronics can have glitches unless they can build in multiple redundancies to avoid them. As has already been said in other places in the case of human fatalities in crashes between two or more autonomous vehicles, who's at fault?? The vehicle mfgr., the mechanical systems, electronic systems and who knows what else?? Sounds like a new breed of ambulance chasing lawyers or maybe AI robots will appear in future courtrooms!!
Mike

Bamby

Take them because of a few stupid and irresponsible ones... :hammer:
Regards, Kirk

Few it's way, way more than a few. My pickup sits up high enough I can see in other vehicles quite well, fact is to well a few times... A guy stroking his chicken behind the wheel was a bit much... Anyway I see them texting in their laps all the time going down the road. If only I could write tickets and make them stick they could do a whole lot of purchasing with the revenue.

I was driving extra for a place and the owner would ring the phone off the hook until u picked it up and talked to him. I keep telling him I wasn't paying no ticket on his behalf but fortunately I was never cought. Fact is I have never heard of anyone fined for gabbing or phone texting but I'm sure someone has but it sure is unenforced around these parts.