• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Snowcat mystery story start...want to add on??? More words needed!

AdkSnowcat

One Dark Snowy Night...

Chapter 1

As I climbed into the driver's seat of my '62 Thiokol 601 snowcat I thought about whether I'd have enough gas on board to make the midnight drive up to Tahawus. It was a pretty long drive from Minerva. The snow was deep and it was falling at a pretty good pace.

It had been a while since I had been there. That was the heart of the Adirondacks--the southern gateway to the high peaks region. Of course you couldn't drive into the "forever wild" areas. But the cross-country skiing in there was the best!

Lots of people say you shouldn't try a trip like this by yourself but what choice was there really?

I briefly thought about Winslow Homer. He must have gone on some wild painting adventures while staying at the North Woods Club over a hundred years ago. He had brought fame to Minerva. Teddy Roosevelt too. He became President of the United States at the nearby North Creek railway station after McKinley was assassinated.

So this was an area for big things. And here I was about to attempt a midnight rescue. The plane had gone down somewhere near Preston Pond. It was well frozen. Maybe they had somehow landed on the snow covered ice?

The rumor was that the plane had been forced down. And it was carrying gold!

Was it a CEO cashing out? A singer/movie starlet on the way to the Cayman Islands? A politician's plunder? The gov't? Gangster gold? Ancient wild west gold?

Who was in the plane? Alive? Hostages? Lots of questions were running through my mind as I raced through the falling, and ever deeper, untracked powdery snow.

Chapter 2

The 601 ran flawlessly. It had been restored by the king of perfection, Mr. Weatherby. Originally it had worked for the Air Force up in Alaska on the DEW line. It kept us safe from our Cold War enemy the Russians. The snowcat's military specifications were brilliant.

It was one of the fastest snowcats ever built. And it was earning its pay right now! It was blasting through the six foot drifts. Gold!

Chapter 3

The first bullet came through the right side. It missed me by only an inch or two. This cat was not armor plated.

I simultaneously sucked in a deep breath and hit the gas!

Chapter 4

I didn't really think to bring a gun. Luckily, my bow was still in the back from deer hunting season.

Chapter 5

Escape hatch!? It was on my mind! I could hardly believe my eyes...looked like a Porsche powered Kristi and Snow-Trac snowcats bearing down on me--coming fast from the right side! And they were firing!

Chapter 6?

akimp

I want more!!!!!!
I went to Paul Smith's college and my family owns a cabin in Olmsteadville. I stay there every time i'm back from Alaska. I love the ADK and its history.

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
funny you thought up that plot as I did go out on the ice of the bering sea to recover a plane that crash landed early this winter. I used my snow trac, the 2 601's in this town move less than Big Al's krusty.

AdkSnowcat

I want more!!!!!!
I went to Paul Smith's college and my family owns a cabin in Olmsteadville. I stay there every time i'm back from Alaska. I love the ADK and its history.

I have a cabin in that little town too! Who would have thought????

I'll try to think of some more. I hoped others might want to write some. I need some more ideas!

AdkSnowcat

funny you thought up that plot as I did go out on the ice of the bering sea to recover a plane that crash landed early this winter. I used my snow trac, the 2 601's in this town move less than Big Al's krusty.

You should write yourself into the story! I remember you rescued that oil freighter stuck in the ice too--and saved the frozen city!

I think the story may be ready for a female potential love interest to save the 601 guy? (Just thought of that!) Maybe she could be driving a Tucker????

DAVENET

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Awesome. I'm a member at an ADK club in Childwold / Colton (Hollywood, est.1889). So, I get to ride thru that area multiple times each year. Typically we come across and take the Northway to North Hudson, then come across 84 (Blue Ridge Rd.) to 28N. And I have to say, the weirdest place I have ever traveled thru is Newcomb!! (Just off your trek from Minerva to Tahawus)

Now granted, I'm usually going thru there late at night after leaving work (to gain that extra day in the north woods), but there were years at a time I would drive thru that town and not see ANY sign of life!! No lights in the windows, no cars on the roads, NOTHING! But the roads were/are always plowed. I still have yet to see any kids in the playground or on the ball fields. And that's over 10-12 years of going that way instead of thru No. Creek on 28S! And what town in the middle of nowhere needs 238 street lights????? (that are visible from from 28N)

So I always try to convince my family & friends that the place is actually a super secret missile base that was never decommissioned when they closed all of the Titan sites around Plattsburg. Newcomb = Nuke ‘Em! Any lights in the houses are tripped on by motion detectors in the road and the cars you may see on the side streets or moving in driveways are just like at Disneyland. They move while you drive by, then return to their position to wait for the next car!

The thing is, after so many trips of not seeing anyone (even during the days), and telling everyone the story to make them aware of it also, we all agree on one thing- the place is FREAKY! lol

David

AdkSnowcat

Newcomb is unusual! Many of those houses were transplanted there when they expanded the titanium mine site in Tahawus. (They wanted to dig up the vein where the houses were.) The story is they had the company houses fully moved to Newcomb by the time workers finished their shifts! (There was a strike during the eighties and they closed the mine.)

Newcomb for a long time did not have a gas station either! But it sure is a heck of a scenic town. There is that rest stop with the great view of the high peaks region.

I think Newcomb is where all the road workers live. That's probably why the roads are so nicely cleaned during winter.

Some summer visit Camp Santonini (or however you spell it). It is one of the Adirondack great camps. It's being restored. Best mountain bike road I've been on. You can fly. Five miles in. From the 1800's. You can walk through the log mansion. Pretty amazing! Free and self serve.

They are supposed to build a snowmobile trail from Newcomb to North Hudson. Newcomb already connects to Long Lake and Minerva (sort of and to be improved this summer?). I think it is also supposed to connect to Indian Lake.

One of the first blast furnaces has been restored on the way in to Tahawus. Really interesting real old tech and story of how it got partially washed away! Free and self serve.

They just reopened the rail line to Tahawus. They want to remove five thousand car loads of rock. I think to rebuild the runway at Laguardia. I'm hoping they extend the scenic railroad that ends in North Creek. There is supposed to be a fantastic trestle in that run to the mine.

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Chapter 6 :
So there I am ...Mindin my own damn business when this really nice looking square box thingy on tracks goes blasting by my camp site that the wife and I had just set up that day .He hooks a tent pole and tears my tent loose, taking the wife along still in her Sleeping bag .

Chapter 7 Holy Crap !! Its a drive by wife stealing commie bastard !
So I jump in my KT7 and power up , headed out to catch the thieving knot head who thinks he can claim jump another mans woman .
That poor sucker has no idea the hurt I am about to put on him . As I take off in pursuit I hit the Nitous Buttom . Fire shoots out the exhaust . All hell breaks loose as I climb to over 75 MPH . Trees are whippin by like a picket fence . I got him in my sights now .

Chapter 8
About the time I catch up he hits a bump , flys in the air and the tent along with my wife tears loose ,plops back down in the snow doing two 360's and comes to a sudden stop . The wife sticks her head out of the bag and says "what the hell are you doing" ??? This is no way to treat a lady . If you want to get friendly at least let me get out of the damn sleeping bag first .

Chapter 9
My train of thought is now broken by the offer of a good time .I watch as some nut case heads over the hill yelling "There's GOLD in there hills !!!" Mine , Mine,, Mine !!!

Chapter 10 .
I shake my head ,wondering what kind of nut case tries to wife nap my women in the middle of the night when he knows I own a superior Kristi KT7 , and he would never stand a chance of getting away .
I turn to my wife and say "More wine my dear ???:brows:"

AdkSnowcat

Chap 11

WOW!!!! That was a close one! Thought I had a UFO chasing me too. Looked like the buggy from "Lost in Space" or the "Star Trek" shuttle craft! Probably powered by dylithium crystals or something. That thing was fast!!! And whoever was inside had the strong medicine of a fearless warrior. I could feel the force!

And I think I may have hit something while I was trying to figure out the escape hatch and driving with my feet. No time to worry about that now!

Chap 12

Wait! What's that up ahead? Looks like somebody dangling from a big overhanging branch! Oooh my gosh, it's Jennifer Lawrence! Katnis! Holy cow. She's yelling "Open the hatch!" Maybe I can get that hatch open and grab her?

I set the hand throttle, got the hatch open while steering with my feet. (As race car driver Jackie Stewart might say with his heavy Scottish accent, "a verrry difficult man-euver!")

She's kicking with her legs. Guess she just wants to drop through the hatch. Rats! She's a great shot with that bow and arrow! That Katnis Everdeen! Wow!!!

We could be quite a team. She thrashed in "The Hunger Games." Now where's that plane?

Chap 13

That Snow-Trac was back. Looks like it has an Alaska license plate. What the heck is that doing here?

The "Onward Chrisian Soldiers" hymn kept running through my mind. Katnis! We'll have stories for our Grandchildren!

Where's that plane?

Last edited:

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Chapter14 :

The sun is risin , its early morn .
Some dumb ass snowcatter is blowin his horn .

So I roll over and try to sleep ,
Realizing I need to take a leak .

As I go out the deflated tent door .
The same dude from last night goes by with howling roar .

He now has a girl attached to his lead sled
her legs wrapped around his tightly gripped head .

I just stare and wonder WTF ???
This guy seems to have all the luck :brows:

Chapter 15 :

The square track thingy finally stopped going in circles and headed North .Smoke filtered through the snow covered trees about 3 miles up the canyon . The old rig looked to be headed in that direction . "He will never make it" , I said to myself .

That No Mans land up there . Bad snow , loose women , watered down whisky , No place for man or snowcats .

Oh what the hell !!! I swore to myself ! I had made a solemn promise and taken the oath to help lessor snowcatters in the world and this poor sucker was on a one way road to a disaster . It was a thankless job but as a Kristi Man I had no choice . I loaded up , kissed the wife goodbye and climbed in for the ride to hell .

AdkSnowcat

Chapter 16

"We'll just drive a short ways in towards Preston Pond from the Upper Works trailhead," I said. We both simultaneously saw the floodlighted area on the snowplowed "forever wild" Adirondack lake. There was the airliner. Hard to believe it had flown all the way from Malaysia! It and another large plane, I believe a C-130 air freighter, sat on the ice--bathed in a bright pool of light and surrounded by machine-gun-toting desparados.

Chapter 17

As Katnis and I sat there watching in disbelief a fancy KT-7 Kristi pulled up next to us. I looked over and saw it was Big Al, my ole Ranger pal brother! A powerful blast from my past--now I knew our mission was assured of success!!! I sure hope he brought lots of weapons!

akimp

I Can not stop smiling. MORE MORE MORE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Chapter18:
I arrived in just the nick of time . The old 601 & 3/4 was creeping on to the frozen lake as I shouted . "Better think twice about doing that" . "That thing don't float" . The other operator looked at me , dribbled some nonsense about hidden gold , Farted and asked "What should I do" ???

I looked him straight in the eye and said "You might want to wipe cause that sounded runny. Besides you are already in deep shit and need a rig that will float in case you break through the cracked ice. Only a Kristi has the balls and hull to make a open water crossing ".

Chapter 19 :
For a minute I thought he was going to cry . With tears running down his face and headed for the porta potty , turned and said "Thank you" . I said "No problem" Its what we Kristi men do"

Chapter20

Reaching around I grabbed the "deiceotonic machine detecting gun " and pointed it in the general direction of the marooned plane . The needle on the gauge went off the scale ! No doubt in anybody's mind now . It was a plane we were looking at .I just wonder what the hell was in it .
About that time the 3 eyed girl in the other cat threw the top escape hatch open , climbed half out and shouted .... "De Plane" "De Plane".

I rolled my eyes , looked at her and said :

"This ain't Fantasy Island , Tatoo"

Last edited:

AdkSnowcat

Chapter 21

"You're right General! We better buckle down!" I said. "Sure is good to see you Sir! Been a while since you been in the field but once a Ranger always a Ranger. Those two stars never slowed you down Sir!"

"Looks to me like North Koreans. They're still probably a little peeved at us from the last time we were there. We better play it cool" "Got a sat phone with you by any chance? Cells won't work here."

"How about weapons?"

"Any reinforcements on the way???"

Chapter 22

Katnis took off on the snowshoes stored in the 601. She had the bow. I guess she was a woman of action and wasn't waiting for us!

AdkSnowcat

Chapter 23

"I hear a chopper!" "It's landing next to the C-130," I said.

"Is that Darth Vader getting out???" "Who would have thought?"

"Wait! He's taking off the costume...it looks like...holy cow, its Rob Ford, the Toronto Mayor! He's the evil genius who masterminded this op?"

"Oh my gosh, is that Katnis walking right up to him???" Good thing I have these night vision telescopic goggles! Katnis is removing a mask? It's, it's...Joan Rivers? And she's giving Rob a big kiss????

"Who would have thought?"

Chapter 24

"Wake up! Wake up! You're having another nightmare!"

Wow! It's my wife Kate Upton bringing me back to consciousness. Whew! I'm back in Kansas. Thank goodness!

The End?

AdkSnowcat

Chapter 25

"He's coming back to us!" said Katnis. "That was quite a pop he took to the head, we could have lost Henson," remarked Big Al.

As Henson came slowly back to full consciousness, all he could say was, "Where's Kate?" He didn't look very happy.

Luckily Katnis had shot down the drone that had attacked him. The bow and arrow was silent and deadly!

Chapter 26

As they silently watched the airplanes sitting on the frozen lake from their secluded refuge what looked like remote controlled, silent, battery-powered, lightly-armored snowcats came rolling out of the C-130's ramp. They had guns and looked fast!

The small group of rescuers collectively gasped as they also caught a glint of gold. The C-130's innards included several square pallets of gold bricks!

The snow continued to fall on the hushed Adirondack wilderness location.

"The hostages must still be in the airliner..." "Man, we need reinforcements!"

utahwilson

Chapter 27

Reinforcements? I don't need no stinkin reinforcements...and then HE stepped out. Tucker was his name. Tucker was the classic steel one track mind. While the old Bombardier was not Aktiv he was popping B12 as he saw Katnis across that frozen lake. A Spryte in one hand, "run DMC" softly playing in the distance.

Tucker spoke, " I would have been here sooner, but I had to stop for this irate woman a few miles back. She was screaming about Kristi this and Kristi that. She then said he kicked her out of the bathtub". I said "was Kristi there" she said "Hell Kristi was there she is always there" I then mentioned divorce... she replied "Divorce, that would be too good for him. no...I am getting even. I am getting a snotrac"

(its late, best I got)

Last edited:

AdkSnowcat

Chapter 28

Yeeeee-haaaaaaaaa!

Tucker's here! And he's come strong!

I imagine the General will be pleased too. What's that I see off in the distance? Looks like one of those Porsche turbo powered Kristi machines--I think it must be doin eighty or ninety accross that side hill. Man, those hydraulic tracks! Carrera Kristi! Kristi Carrera?

Hard to see through all this falling snow! I could be wrong.

Chapter 29

Two hundred years ago there may have been Iroquois Indian hunting parties camping here on this very spot. One hundred years ago there may have been prospectors looking for ore camping here. Now we got terrorists landing their airplanes here!

What the heck is this world coming to??? Good we got some fightin folks here!!!!!!

Last edited:

AdkSnowcat

Chapter 30

"We need a couple of pilots!"

"Then a diversion..."

"Then take over the planes and fly them out!"

"I once saw Mario Andretti fly an ultralight plane--it didn't look too hard."

"OK, you can be one of the pilots!"

AdkSnowcat

Chapter 31

The raptor soared over the leafless treetops. The snow was coming down in far lesser quantities as the day broke. Bald eagles were still pretty rare in the Adirondacks. This one had an almost seven foot wingspan. It was looking for food. Hunting.

It was eyeing the abnormal spectacle going on down on Preston Pond.

Someone on the team of guards spotted the bird of prey. It was a majestic sight! The idiot raised his rifle to shoot.

Katnis couldn't hold back. The arrow, newly protruding from the guard's neck, gave away their position.

Chapter 32

The planes were preparing to fly off. Or at least one of them. The airliner was now closely encircled by ominous looking barrels. Black wires connected them.

AdkSnowcat

Chapter 33

The four of us stood there watching. The quality of the moment was deteriorating rapidly. We stood strongly together. Katnis, me (Henson), General Kristi and Tucker. There was no retreat with all those people helplessly trapped on the plane set to explode.

We steeled ourselves for the charge.

Chapter 34

All of a sudden, as if by some sort of magic, the sky was filled with hundreds of assault-rifle-toting parachutists! The all wore full body "winter sky" camo. There were hundreds of them!

Music started playing. "The Flight of the Valkyrie." How was this happening???

Chapter 35

In the next moment everyone and everything was surrounded and covered within multiple gunsights--including us! The wires between the barrels were being handled. The planes were being stormed. The tracks were being removed from the radio controlled killer mini-snowcats. Not a shot was fired.

Chapter 36

The bald eagle had been the latest in high-tech-disguised-reconnaissance drones! Three hundred heavily armed and coordinated Adirondack Park Agency Environmental Police had drifted onto the scene using stealth skydiving equipment.

Tucker, Henson, Katnis and the General were eventually released. They too had violated the "forever wild" clause. Every machine had been immediately caught electronically crossing the trailhead and Adirondack airspace.

The Malaysian Ambassador had, however, spoken up for them--after the return of all the Flight 370 passengers. There was abundant fine money and lawyers provided.

Chapter 37

Katnis disappeared into the woods before Henson could ever propose to her. The KT-7, the 601.75 and the Tucker Sno-Cat were confiscated for permanent display at the Smithsonian Institute's main museum. The General, Henson, and Tucker were invited to the White House for the awarding of medals. They were also asked to address a special joint session of Congress. They each were rewarded with several gold bars.

THE END (I promise!)

Soon to be a major motion picture starring Jennifer Lawrence as Katnis, George Clooney as Henson, Arnold Schwartzenegger as General Kristi, and Johnny Depp as Tucker. And Special Guest Appearance by Angelina Jolie as Mrs. Al.