• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Idiots in pickup trucks....

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Not sure this is the place for this, but it is automotive in nature...

It has happened before, but last night it happened again. I was taking my family to see my father in a neiboring town. I had the 1972 Trans Am out, so the 4 of us decided to take it for the ride. We took the Lincoln highway, as it is less trveled than the main road. Anyway we were half way there when on our left there was a pickup truck, a Dodge waiting to turn in behind us. 2 miles in front of us was a river valley with some steep hills and cruves befre you cross the river into a flat valley floor. I noticed as we were comming into the first cruve, this pickup truck is alredy right on my arse!! So I sped up, and out cornered that truck by say 20 car lengths by the time we were in the flat valley east of the river. I look in my rear view and he is way back, but I can tell he is full on the hammer, and comming up on us doing 65 at what must have been 90 MPH or better. Just as he pulls out to the left lane I tromp on the gas and he never makes it to my rear bumper, as at about 100 mph I started to pull away hard, and by the time we got to the city limits I had another 20 car lengths on him....:yum: without shifing down from 5th,( D. Nash 5 speed) and 4 people in my car to boot.

Why do these bumbs think that a pickup truck can pass a muscle car?? Don't they know better? or are they so jealous they think they have some thing to prove? This has happend several times over the years, and each time it's a frickin pickup truck. I waste them as fast as they try:brows::yum::yum:

But I am tired of these road challenges. I really just wanted to cruise, and perhaps I shoud have let the idiot just race by us, like he has "Beat" an old mucle car...

But no I am an idiot too, I have to teach them there is not a chance in hell of that Hemi dodge is fast, like the old hemi Cuda or something. I have ate the lunch of more than one supped up Cummins diesels as well, they seem to be more idiot like that the hemi guys are. Dura Maxes are easy as well...I think they are surprised, as they simply do not understand physics, of weight and air resistance. It takes 4 time the HP to move 2 times as fast. The frontal area of a pickup, and the drag coefficient make it a lead brick compared to a low slung areodynamic car, with equal HP. My old 455 H.O. is tuned to the 475 HP level, as I detest headers, and give up some power through the Ram Air exhaust maniflods that are like cast shorty headers.

Maybe I should just let them fly around me at full throttle, would they feel like an idiot if I never touch the throttle?? Maybe if I just let them.....Nah, it's more fun to waste them and leave them falling back in the rear view mirror....:biggrin:

Regards, Kirk

05-29-2008054852pm2.jpg

Last edited:

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
Nice T/A Kirk. I have always liked those cars.

I get the same thing when driving my Xfire. I do not even have the SRT model. Just the normally aspirated one. Still, some think it is fun to get right on my ass. Not sure what it is about some people and pickups.

I never hassle anyone when driving my Ranger. :yum:

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Nice car Kirk.

I drive a Chyrsler Crossfire.
I have the same issue with pick ups and Prius's.

Mine,
CAART_398_W.jpg

CAART_308_W.jpg

The wife's

Last edited:

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
Not sure this is the place for this, but it is automotive in nature...

It has happened before, but last night it happened again. I was taking my family to see my father in a neiboring town. I had the 1972 Trans Am out, so the 4 of us decided to take it for the ride. We took the Lincoln highway, as it is less trveled than the main road. Anyway we were half way there when on our left there was a pickup truck, a Dodge waiting to turn in behind us. 2 miles in front of us was a river valley with some steep hills and cruves befre you cross the river into a flat valley floor. I noticed as we were comming into the first cruve, this pickup truck is alredy right on my arse!! So I sped up, and out cornered that truck by say 20 car lengths by the time we were in the flat valley east of the river. I look in my rear view and he is way back, but I can tell he is full on the hammer, and comming up on us doing 65 at what must have been 90 MPH or better. Just as he pulls out to the left lane I tromp on the gas and he never makes it to my rear bumper, as at about 100 mph I started to pull away hard, and by the time we got to the city limits I had another 20 car lengths on him....:yum: without shifing down from 5th,( D. Nash 5 speed) and 4 people in my car to boot.

Why do these bumbs think that a pickup truck can pass a muscle car?? Don't they know better? or are they so jealous they think they have some thing to prove? This has happend several times over the years, and each time it's a frickin pickup truck. I waste them as fast as they try:brows::yum::yum:

But I am tired of these road challenges. I really just wanted to cruise, and perhaps I shoud have let the idiot just race by us, like he has "Beat" an old mucle car...

But no I am an idiot too, I have to teach them there is not a chance in hell of that Hemi dodge is fast, like the old hemi Cuda or something. I have ate the lunch of more than one supped up Cummins diesels as well, they seem to be more idiot like that the hemi guys are. Dura Maxes are easy as well...I think they are surprised, as they simply do not understand physics, of weight and air resistance. It takes 4 time the HP to move 2 times as fast. The frontal area of a pickup, and the drag coefficient make it a lead brick compared to a low slung areodynamic car, with equal HP. My old 455 H.O. is tuned to the 475 HP level, as I detest headers, and give up some power through the Ram Air exhaust maniflods that are like cast shorty headers.

Maybe I should just let them fly around me at full throttle, would they feel like an idiot if I never touch the throttle?? Maybe if I just let them.....Nah, it's more fun to waste them and leave them falling back in the rear view mirror....:biggrin:

Regards, Kirk

05-29-2008054852pm2.jpg

I can't speak for that guy, but my 8700 pound crew cab dually pickup will turn the 1/4 mile in just over 11 seconds. That absolutely scorches 99% of all of the old muscle cars (if you may recall, I collect them), as well as pretty well most other production cars on the highway. Somewhere on youtube I have a video posted of my truck running in the high 11's on a "bye" run after I beat one of the new Mustangs in round 1 and a new Camaro in round 2. I'm putting out close to 550 hp at the rear wheels. I've owned probably 6 Trans Ams (love them), and my pickup would undoubtedly blow them away in the 1/4 mile; loaded toolbox and all.

Of course, then you get Billybub in his 1975 Cheby with a 190 hp 454ci big block who tells everyone that his truck will pass everything but the gas station when, in fact, most 4 cylinders on the road would leave him behind. Sounds like you found one of those fellas.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I have to admit ....kinda sounds like fun.
What year trans am is that Kirk? Looks to be in great shape. Have you had to freshen the motor or is it original?

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Dargo,

The old T/A has run the quarter in 11.9 at the strip on street tires. I have only done it a couple of times however....And it will do 144 MPH at redline. Not many streetable pickups can do that one....

So far all they can see is my tail lights, and that is with them going 25+ MPH faster than me, cause they all have to take a run from way back, or they wouldn't even get close enigh to see my licence plate....

The truck was a 390Hp hemi dodge, probably stock or chipped. You cann't fool areodynamics and trucks suck at that, no matter how much power they have under the hood. It is just not possible to compare one with the same HP in a car. If you do, you will loose, period...

Doc, it's a 72 T/A, one of 1285, and this one is one of the 458 that recieved an M22 4 speed. It is aslo an A/C equipted car, making it even rarer. And it is in nice condition. It has been in my garage for 35 years.

Regards, Kirk

squerly

Supported Ben Carson
GOLD Site Supporter
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TpqX2_F1_Rc&feature=related"]Youtube's Best Redneck Vids - YouTube[/ame]

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
kirk you must be talking about me and my cummins the old truck will lay you back in the seat it'sonly limitation is gears it tops out at about 75 in 5th needs a few more gears on the top end and a few more on the bottom as even at idle in first it throws you around pretty bad on un improved roads and off road other wise it has plenty hp just nothing more than 3000 rpm

Adillo303

Diesel Truck Fan
GOLD Site Supporter
300 H & H said:
I was taking my family to see my father in a neiboring town. I had the 1972 Trans Am out, so the 4 of us decided to take it for the ride.

I drive a pickup truck. I am not an idiot.

As far as I am concerned, you ar free to race down the road at whatever speed that you choose and place your family in as much danger as you like while proving you have a fast car.

BTW - It is a nice car.

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Hell I drive a truck every day and I don't consider myself and idiot....But then again I don't pull the shit this guy did behind a nice old car either.:hammer:

And thanks for the compliment about the car..The "racing stripe" is factory. The only way you could get one is white with blue stipe or blue with a white stripe. No bird, except a small one on the nose. It was not untill 73 when the bird went to the hood. By 73, most engines were casterated with polution controls and HP was no longer there

That's why I called myself and idiot, the family was along, and it pissed me off that the guy in the truck could see the car was full. I had a choice to make and the city limits were comming up fast as I pulled away from the truck. I have been rethinking what I did, and I wonder if I should have just pulled out my cell phone and call the sheriff's office with his licence plate number. Maybe next time this happens, that is what I should do? I know that they will respond, but maybe this won't help either. I just want to be left alone, that is all. But I don't like to be made a fool of either, unless by letting myself be passed at twice my speed by some one who really is a fool...SO I guess I was wrong in hindsight.

Regards, Kirk

Last edited:

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
Hell I drive a truck every day and I don't consider myself and idiot....But then again I don't pull the shit this guy did behind a nice old car either.:hammer:

And thanks for the compliment about the car..The "racing stripe" is factory. The only way you could get one is white with blue stipe or blue with a white stripe. No bird, except a small one on the nose. It was not untill 73 when the bird went to the hood.

That's why I called myself and idiot, the family was along, and it pissed me off that the guy in the truck could see the car was full. I had a choice to make and the city limits were comming up fast as I pulled away from the truck. I have been rethinking what I did, and I wonder if I should have just pulled out my cell phone and call the sheriff's office with his licence plate number. Maybe next time this happens, that is what I should do? I know that they will respond, but maybe this won't help either. I just want to be left alone, that is all. But I don't like to be made a fool of either, unless by letting myself be passed at twice my speed by some one who really is a fool...SO I guess I was wrong in hindsight.

Regards, Kirk
Kirk some times i'm not the sharpest tool in the shead but why have amussle car or truck if you arn't going to open it up once and a while one of the dumber things i did was push mu old 76 dodge with a 413 to 130mph it wasn't the most mechanicaly sound vehicle and that time i did put my self and others at risk but then i was young and dumb

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Yea Don,

I know what you mean...I do like to open it up, but usually it is while I am alone on the road..and I don't have the family along either. I pick my spot and drive along it, then turn around and go back fast...It's the only safe way to do this really. So I just need to ignor those idiots when I have my family along. BTW I bet the pic up truck dirvers wife was yelling at him the whole time he was trying to pass me. My wife of the other hand, just said as I pressed the gas, said "he doesn't stand a chance!"

Regards, Kirk

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
lucky you my wife is the worst back seat driver it shut her up on i5 when i took my hands off the wheek at 60 and said here you do better

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
So Squerley,

Any one try and run you down in your Porshe? I bet some one has tried to, and what did you do?:unsure: I am quite curious to hear your stories of this type of thing....

Regards, Kirk

Adillo303

Diesel Truck Fan
GOLD Site Supporter
Kirk,

I was coming down an icy hillrather slow. The guy behind me ran me off the road. I wasn't going to argue in freezing rain. I pilled my cell. Cops got him at the bottom of the hill. Thet told us to both report to the police station. He decided to drop his gf off at home and run an errand first
Made the copa real happy. He swore out a summons afainst me for driving too slow. The day i went to court, i got dismissed. He had nine tickets to answer. It felt good.

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
Dargo,

The old T/A has run the quarter in 11.9 at the strip on street tires. I have only done it a couple of times however....And it will do 144 MPH at redline. Not many streetable pickups can do that one....

So far all they can see is my tail lights, and that is with them going 25+ MPH faster than me, cause they all have to take a run from way back, or they wouldn't even get close enigh to see my licence plate....

The truck was a 390Hp hemi dodge, probably stock or chipped. You cann't fool areodynamics and trucks suck at that, no matter how much power they have under the hood. It is just not possible to compare one with the same HP in a car. If you do, you will loose, period...

Doc, it's a 72 T/A, one of 1285, and this one is one of the 458 that recieved an M22 4 speed. It is aslo an A/C equipted car, making it even rarer. And it is in nice condition. It has been in my garage for 35 years.

Regards, Kirk

In my little world, I consider the Hemi trucks slow. They just love to talk bad about the 6.0 PSD. Then after I blow them away, I just sort of mumble that it really must suck to have a Hemi... :biggrin: The mph at the 1/4 mile in my pickup, yes, dually crew cab 4X4 was 151. Really, it was amazingly stable but it sure was pushing a LOT of air! It would be considerably slower if I didn't have 4 rear tires helping the launch. My "toy" car has a 572ci 740hp crate engine in it. No need to run the 1/4 with it because it's a show car and hell will freeze over before it 1) ever sits out over night 2) sits out in the rain 3) is tubbed out for bigger tires.

The last T/A I had was a "Smokey and the Bandit" special 1979 with the 403ci engine. Wasn't really all that fast, but sure would melt the rear tires because the weight balance was terrible on that particular model car. My girlfriend (wife now) stole it from me the last night I got to drive it. I was doing some major league 'drifting' around the subdivision after a few shots of Everclear. It got sold before I ever was behind the wheel in it again.

squerly

Supported Ben Carson
GOLD Site Supporter
So Squerley,

Any one try and run you down in your Porshe? I bet some one has tried to, and what did you do?:unsure: I am quite curious to hear your stories of this type of thing....

Regards, Kirk

My cars are 2 seaters so you won’t find any kids, parents, grandparents or other associated passengers in my car(s). Even if there was room it’s hard to find anyone in my family mentally deranged to the point that they will accompany me anywhere.

But I digress…

Most of the rednecks in my area are challenged just figuring out what kind of a car it is and few harbor any illusions that it’s catchable. Most pull over; crack another beer and wait in hopes that it’ll come back by slow enough to get a picture. :wink:

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter

Sorry for being off topic, but this video Rednecks with money reminded me of a real mind freak.

Back in about 85 or '86 me and about 3 of my friends were drifting down the Ohio tossing back beers in my Sea Ray when I heard water splashing. Yeah, I was hammered and afraid we may have drifted into a buoy and was sinking. Can you imagine the look on my face when I looked up, drifting in the middle of the Ohio River, and the truck Big Foot was drifting up to me?! :eek: Man, I figured that I'd had several too many to drink!

As it turned out, the Coast Guard told them they would have their truck impounded if they didn't have life jackets for the two in it, a fire extinguisher, and flares. Not quite making Eagle Scout (but reasonably close), I happened to have spares of each. I was going to just give it to them but the original driver, sorry, forget his name now, was over from St. Louis, MO for the unlimited hydroplane boat races in Evansville and as a promotional stunt put the biggest flotation tires on his truck and was tooling around on the Ohio. Oh yeah, he refused to accept them without payment and he gave me $200 bucks for, what, $30 worth of equipment? He insisted though.

After that, the Coast Guard approved him for that day and he got a LOT of attention! Too bad that was back before every cell phone (wait, nobody even had a bag phone then) had a camera ready. They must have passed something since because we saw several trucks on the river the next year and now have never seen any since. Still, imagine my face seeing a big ass pickup truck next to me in the middle of the river! Not sure I've ever downed a Schaeffer's Light since then!

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Dargo I have a 6.0 PSD in the truck I drive daily,

I don't know what all you have done to it, but it must be ALOT to get those numbers...Like what rear gear do you have and how any rpm's do you twist it? Tire size? My old Moroso slide rule time calulator suggests you must has at least 800 HP at the crank, and it doesn't even go beyound 5,000lbs gross weight. You getting 1,000? Twin turbo's might do it...I am goning to do some math....151 in a quarter mile is questionable at best in a work driven truck. You'd have to twist the livin shit out of it to hit 150 with stock gears....I like the 6.0 however, except for the crappy Ford injectors and FICM's that suck as well. Most costly per mile truck I have driven, and it is stock. I cann't imagine how much you must have spent. I just wish they were worth some thing used, or on trade...:sad: Guess I'll just buy another truck, and keep the old one as it is worth more to me than what some one will pay. Unfortunately they have a very mixed reputation, mostly bad, unfortunately.

Regards, Kirk

Regards, Kirk

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
Dargo I have a 6.0 PSD in the truck I drive daily,

I don't know what all you have done to it, but it must be ALOT to get those numbers...Like what rear gear do you have and how any rpm's do you twist it? Tire size? My old Moroso slide rule time calulator suggests you must has at least 800 HP at the crank, and it doesn't even go beyound 5,000lbs gross weight. You getting 1,000? Twin turbo's might do it...I am goning to do some math....151 in a quarter mile is questionable at best in a work driven truck. You'd have to twist the livin shit out of it to hit 150 with stock gears....I like the 6.0 however, except for the crappy Ford injectors and FICM's that suck as well. Most costly per mile truck I have driven, and it is stock. I cann't imagine how much you must have spent. I just wish they were worth some thing used, or on trade...:sad: Guess I'll just buy another truck, and keep the old one as it is worth more to me than what some one will pay. Unfortunately they have a very mixed reputation, mostly bad, unfortunately.

Regards, Kirk

Regards, Kirk

The transmission and rear axle are completely stock. With the 'Tow Boss' package you get no choice other than 4:30 gearing. As for the rest, I just like having fun. I've driven a high percentage of old muscle cars and discovered that ones that were considered "fast" actually run the 1/4 in the 14 second range. Here is a Motor Trend magazine article precisely on this matter Old muscle cars don't compare very well to new ones A car like yours and the T/A's I had would take massive amounts of work to break into the 12 second bracket.

Ah, I FINALLY found some pics. Man, how do you keep digital pics organized?! Mine are by month, but I forget even what year, let alone which month. Anyway, the 51 number was my "asleep at the wheel" reaction time on my bye run. Transmission was programmed to stock and zero additional boost from turbo on the 'free' run. Here is the video of the lone run Lone ranger run and my time slip with all "safe" settings is pictured. Not near 'full race' setup, so feel free to disbelieve it if you want. Heck, the official at the line stuck his head in the window and said "Um, I don't mean to upset you, but you do know you're running your tow truck and not your car, don't you?" LOL Still, look at my "slow and safe" run time compared to the top muscle car times listed by Motor Trend. Only the '69 Shelby Mustang turned in a better time from the muscle cars. Better yet, I'm running that time with a truck that weighs more than twice as much for less than $2k in upgrades.

Oh, for what it's worth, my truck is towing around 20,000 pounds every time it's used. It's very rarely seen an easy mile. Had an oil leak, covered under warranty, when I first got it and nothing but an absolute beast ever since. I don't have the stats memorized, but I towed my Takeuchi TB175 from Melbourne,FL to IN on a trailer that weighs about 7000 pounds. I could definitely feel it going over the mountain pass, but I was able to keep up with the speed limit.

Attachments

• bye run.jpg
    bye run.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 165

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
14.24 seconds at 102 MPH is very believeable.....

And a far cry form low 11 second passes at 151 mph...

also for a 150 mph trap speed you'd be in the 9's for that.

So what's up man? I am now confused...

and the old T/A wouldn't have any trouble with that, either....Stock they ran low 13's, and with some tweeking and more cam and compression, easy into the 12's and lower. SO I disagree with your statement totally

And no I don't keep time slips, the T/A is more for roaracing thatn drag racing. I used to do pretty good auto crossing the thing back in the day. It really isnt set up for drag racing at all. Very hard to launch cleanly, on steet tires.

My point here is that a pick up is no match for a car of equal horse power. I am still very sure of this fact. I know enough about areodynamics to know better. Trucks are like flying a sheet of plywood face first through the air. -When I start to see them in Pro Stock, and funny trucks instead of funny cars, then I will believe it, but probably not..

Regards, Kirk

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter

So what's up man? I am now confused...

and the old T/A wouldn't have any trouble with that, either....Stock they ran low 13's, and with some tweeking and more cam and compression, easy into the 12's and lower. SO I disagree with your statement totally

And no I don't keep time slips, the T/A is more for roaracing thatn drag racing. I used to do pretty good auto crossing the thing back in the day. It really isnt set up for drag racing at all. Very hard to launch cleanly, on steet tires.

My point here is that a pick up is no match for a car of equal horse power. I am still very sure of this fact. I know enough about areodynamics to know better. Trucks are like flying a sheet of plywood face first through the air. -When I start to see them in Pro Stock, and funny trucks instead of funny cars, then I will believe it, but probably not..

Regards, Kirk

Ok, here's the scoop and you'll understand. The guy in the first video is one of my best friends and he raced with his dad. I felt like another son to his dad. His dad passed away a little over 3 years ago. It's their fault because I get some work done by their secret mechanic who literally takes no new business. He has enough work from current drag racers who ship their cars to him with notes of what they want (not even asking how much - if you have to ask that, you're sending your car to the wrong guy). Anyway, that's who setup my '62 Biscayne (broke windshield first time it hooked up with 'street slicks - hidden modifications were made to correct that; remember, I want my car to look completely stock). He can also make a 6.0 PSD absolutely scream and be bulletproof.

Anyway, first video is Doug explaining his thoughts on Chrysler. He races a Challenger (VERY FAST) and his dad's Plymouth Wagon (hot weather dials in 10.0 seconds and runs 10.01; cold weather dials in 9.5 and runs 9.56) and has won national championships with both cars the last several years. Was with him today. [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGr0lEs_PTw"]Doug Duell on Chrysler[/ame]

Last year's season [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvUsU4wWNuw"]Last year's nostalgia championship list[/ame]

Ride with Doug [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W--c0MME2Dg"]Ride along for a 9.9 quarter[/ame]

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
Stock they ran low 13's, and with some tweeking and more cam and compression, easy into the 12's and lower. SO I disagree with your statement totally

No problem. You're disagreeing with Motor Trend Magazine as well. Same article listed the Shelby as the fastest production "muscle car". With some 'tweaking' I can show you videos of diesel pickups running in the 7's! Sat there and watched it in Terre Haute, IN.

I opted to NOT make a 409 clone because every 409 I drove left me unimpressed. Mine has more ponies and more power out of a "stock" engine.

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
you have to remember a lot of these big diesels are doing the draggs in 4 wd which means they launch like a sling shot so good 1/4 mile times are believable how ever on the open road i can't imagine any truck keeping up to a mussle car or a porsch running turns or over whooptidoos you have to admit the moderen turbo diesels put out by the big 3 are impressive

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter

I explained the 150 that was in my mind was the (poor) reaction time. My timeslips have a much better memory than I do with specific numbers; fact.

... the old T/A wouldn't have any trouble with that, either....Stock they ran low 13's, and with some tweeking and more cam and compression, easy into the 12's and lower. SO I disagree with your statement totally

Had 'em, been there, both mother and father drag raced. A stock T/A would no more run in the low 13's than my mix up saying time on truck was 151. Neither ever happened. Oh, before I forget, very nice car though. Where I live most have had cancer (rust) and are not nearly as straight. I drove one a 2011, 500+ stock hp Shelby, a week or so ago and you'd easier convince me that you could walk on water than convince me any stock T/A could out run it. Sorry man, I'm in it every day. If your's will, you seriously need to go sign up for Pinks, sandbag a bit, and win a new car each week.

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
you have to remember a lot of these big diesels are doing the draggs in 4 wd which means they launch like a sling shot so good 1/4 mile times are believable how ever on the open road i can't imagine any truck keeping up to a mussle car or a porsch running turns or over whooptidoos you have to admit the moderen turbo diesels put out by the big 3 are impressive

This is the Cummins 5.9 diesel run in the low 7's in Terre Haute, IN. It was built right there in Terre Haute by Scheid Diesel. They've done a little on my truck. I was somewhere in this video trying not to sheet my pants. Sounded like a jet!

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
Seven second eighths or seven second quarter.

Last time I drag raced was about 1982. Full chasis car, ran 8s at about 190 if I remember right. A pick up at 7 seconds is not a pickup; it is a race chassis with a pickup body on it.
Cannot be comparing a full racechasis car against a stock street car.

Bring them bayliners on! Ican beat everyone of them.

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Road and track in September of 72 in print if I remember right, a stock 72 ran a 14.1, but recurve the distrubtor advance and one jet up in the carb, brought a 13.2...I still consider this as stock..Just a tuning change.

Look you have your opinion and I have mine. I have had my car for 35 years I could really give a shit at this point.

I still say put equal power in a low slung arodynamic car ( my drag coeffecient is .42 do you know yours for your truck?) as in a 4WD diesel pickup truck, and it will get it'ss ass kicked. Thats all. If you don't believe me then fine, physical science means nothing, enginering and mathmatics don't apply to you. You must be superman...And I will never beat you, nor will anyone else.

The end,
Kirk

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
Road and track in September of 72 in print if I remember right, a stock 72 ran a 14.1, but recurve the distrubtor advance and one jet up in the carb, brought a 13.2...I still consider this as stock..Just a tuning change.

Look you have your opinion and I have mine. I have had my car for 35 years I could really give a shit at this point.

I still say put equal power in a low slung arodynamic car ( my drag coeffecient is .42 do you know yours for your truck?) as in a 4WD diesel pickup truck, and it will get it'ss ass kicked. Thats all. If you don't believe me then fine, physical science means nothing, enginering and mathmatics don't apply to you. You must be superman...And I will never beat you, nor will anyone else.

The end,
Kirk

Kirk, I just wanted to make sure that you weren't getting upset. I love talking old cars and all through high school and college (muscle car days) would go out and run them. That's before you'd lose your license for doing so. Now it's far easier to find pages that have certified times by professional drivers on just about every single make and model in it's stock form. What surprised me was my 'everyday' car, an Acura TL, runs 0-60 in 5.7 seconds and 14.1 in the quarter. :eek: Then, on top end, there's no comparison with the Acura running 167.

I don't really consider it arguing. Sorry if it seems that way. It's just debating in my mind and enjoying a great car like yours. I also found out that I really screwed up selling my '79 T/A. It was darn near perfect with the 403 Olds engine in it and apparently was faster than I thought according to the websites. What's worse, I sold it about 15 years ago for somewhere in the 3k range. Now ones like it are selling in the 30k range! :hammer:

The only thing I'd add is that I'm reasonably certain that you'd be in for a surprise, like most everyone else, if you raced my 'old pickup truck' 0-80 or so. With 4 wheels gripping and considerably more torque and more hp, it's an eye opener. Using the torque and hp figures, science and mathematics would likely be heavily on my side. There again, in no way a I claiming my pickup is completely stock. :smile: