• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

satellite dish install question

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I need to move my dish from my home to a close shop roof. How far can you run the cable ? My shop is maybe 200ft from the dish now and I would like to bury the cable.
I am installing a new roof and want to remove anything that isn't necessary.
jim

fogtender

Now a Published Author
Site Supporter
I need to move my dish from my home to a close shop roof. How far can you run the cable ? My shop is maybe 200ft from the dish now and I would like to bury the cable.
jim

Well I installed the Dish Network systems up to two hundred feet before and didn't require a booster. Set it up and see what your signal strength is, if it is low, just install a booster, they run about $40.00+- or so for a good one. If you need one I can get you a part number, but you should be good!

Are you running duel cable or single to the LNB?

Cowboy

Wait for it.
GOLD Site Supporter
jim

I dont know if you have any moles/voles in you area, but if you do you better enclose the cable in flexable metal conduit or you will be constantly digging it up to repair it . They WILL chew right through it without the conduit. :wink:

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
The deal is The roofing guy doesn't want any unnessary stuff on my roof. So My two dishes have to go. I have two dishes for the hi def stuff. Along with that I have rg8 coax for any radio hobbie stuff.
I just measured it and Underground will be 70ft. Total may be 150ft.
I am new at this but read that rg6 is what I should use for the hi def dish. Both will be underground coax type. I want a second rg8 for two radio antennas. So three total unless I find out that my dish has two lines. I try not to go up on top very often and havent checked out that part.
I don't have any problem with digging type critters just lots of moisture most of the year. It will travel under my gravel drivewaY.
Jim

fogtender

Now a Published Author
Site Supporter
The deal is The roofing guy doesn't want any unnessary stuff on my roof. So My two dishes have to go. I have two dishes for the hi def stuff. Along with that I have rg8 coax for any radio hobbie stuff.
I just measured it and Underground will be 70ft. Total may be 150ft.
I am new at this but read that rg6 is what I should use for the hi def dish. Both will be underground coax type. I want a second rg8 for two radio antennas. So three total unless I find out that my dish has two lines. I try not to go up on top very often and havent checked out that part.
I don't have any problem with digging type critters just lots of moisture most of the year. It will travel under my gravel drivewaY.
Jim

Distance wise you won't have a problem or using the underground cable, but you should use a pipe or conduit to run it through underground when crossing the driveway (extended a couple feet to each side), compressing gravel over the cable will cause the gravel to move and cut into it from the weight of the traffic.

Good luck!

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I'll do that. My backhoe should make a good trench in the wife's lawn and driveway.
Jim
DSC04811a1.jpg

fogtender

Now a Published Author
Site Supporter
Hell, with a backhoe, why don't you just put a pole in concrete and put it by the house? Closer and you don't have to trench, just one hole, both dishes will mount one above the other on the pole!

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I run a 4" plastic pipe and got one new dish with three recievers in it. This shows the new 40yr roof and the dish. really glad that's over with. I should be 98yrs old next time.
newroof.jpg

fogtender

Now a Published Author
Site Supporter
Glad it worked out! Um, where is the dish? Did you camouflage it?

I see it now hidden under the eves! We use dishes about twice to three times that size here in Alaska.

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
Jim as far as the rg8 if you are using it for a vhf or uhf transmitter look into lmr 400 the rg 8 works good on hf 10 meters on but you need the higher volocity factor of lmr 400 for that long of a run with vhf and uhf

stefan s

Have you tried to just call the satellite company? A few years back, ok several years, back, in college we needed to move the dish that was on our fraternity house. We tried to do it ourselves and failed. We should have called the local URL REMOVED BY MODERATOR installers to help with the repositioning. They also are able to sync the dish in the exact position it needs to be pointed at for the satellite. In today's tech world, you may be available for an upgrade to an HD dish. It is worth a call.