• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Bringing out the dozer from the wilderness...

fogtender

Now a Published Author
Site Supporter
Well Friday I went out to my cabin, which is normally a forty mile snow machine run to get there, one way. This time due to the fires we had this last summer, the trails have been blocked by fallen timber and it took a 50 mile detour ride to get there.

Got the State permits to bring my dozer back now that the runway is done and it isn't needed at the cabin any more. Will use it to open the trails back to somewhat "normal".

The trip started out Saturday morning at first light and went though the Totek hills, had to use the GPS to run the trails since almost all landmarks that we were use to were burnt off. Some of the snow drifts had to be plowed though where the snow had come over ridges and settled into a hard pack three to four feet deep, but not hard enough to support a dozer.

First day made it 18 miles on what amounted to a very rough trail, the ground out in the swamps had burned down almost a foot, what was left was mounds about the size of black frozen basket balls that made the dozer pound and jolt all over the place. At dusk, fueled the dozer and parked it and rode back to town on the snow machines while it idled in subzero temps for the next day.

The morning of the second day, arrived at about 11 AM after the snow machine ride back out. Started into the heavy timbered area where the trees root systems had been burnt out and fell over the trail. Had to clear about five miles of what ended up being a thatch weave of logs across the entire section as well as some shorter stretches. Once I hit the last 12 miles of trail, the trip was smooth sailing. Arrived and crossed the Nenana River just as the sun was dropping into darkness. A friend was there with his truck and equipment trailer to haul the dozer to the house. Had I shut it down, the cold would have made a restart of the engine almost impossible until a generator could be brought in to preheat the engine.

Didn't see much sign of wildlife other than some wolf, lynx and fox tracks since they are the more mobile of the animals, but they will return in a few years with the new growth...

All in all it was a great trip with sunny days, the temps went from -20ish to almost 30 above at midday. Wouldn't want to do the trip for a daily job, but it was a kick anyway!!!

attachment.php

Morning at the cabin

attachment.php

Few hours into the trip and getting bored, so took a self shot..

attachment.php

Going though the first phase of the burn

attachment.php

Starting to get into the lighter burned areas

attachment.php

The fallen timber is getting bigger and bigger.

attachment.php

This area was like this for a few miles, nothing but soot and fallen big trees woven into a mess... GPS kept me on the trail, which is totally covered with this stuff... Without the GPS, there is no way to find your way though this.

Last edited:

osemtnak

Holly Shit..... You call that fun ??? Only an Alaskan would hold up to that mess. Most would give err up before the race...... BUT LIKE me ,,, I feel like a winner and proud to be the first, to hit the beach...For others to fallow....." LEAD , Fallow , OR , Get the hell out of MY WAY " Ose Mountain, is comming through ...

fogtender

Now a Published Author
Site Supporter
Holly Shit..... You call that fun ??? Only an Alaskan would hold up to that mess. Most would give err up before the race...... BUT LIKE me ,,, I feel like a winner and proud to be the first, to hit the beach...For others to fallow....." LEAD , Fallow , OR , Get the hell out of MY WAY " Ose Mountain, is comming through ...

You mean there is other ways to have fun?:pat:

I thought this stuff was normal. But I had a couple of friends helping so that made it even more fun to share:rock:

fogtender

Now a Published Author
Site Supporter
Here is a few more photos of the trip back...

Attachments

• DSC01260.jpg
    DSC01260.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 903
  • DSC01266.jpg
    DSC01266.jpg
    141.3 KB · Views: 903
  • DSC01278.jpg
    DSC01278.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 905
  • DSC01254.jpg
    DSC01254.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 903
  • DSC01255.jpg
    DSC01255.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 914

Cowboy

Wait for it.
GOLD Site Supporter
Good story & great pics , I can see the last ones , but still cant see the first ones . Dont mean to but it I just enjoy seeing the pics . Thanks :smile:

fogtender

Now a Published Author
Site Supporter
No clue to why they would disapear after they were there, will post a them in my album this afternoon....

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Maybe the self shot tripped the censors!:yum::yum: Is that a dozer with rubber treads or a backhoe with a 4 in 1 bucket?

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
looks like one of the old PHS 450 john deer's with the drott bucket and back hoe rebuilt the undercarrage and put sterering clutches and brakes in one a few years ago that was a b#$ch of a job with out some lifting equipment.

osemtnak

Some photos did not come up, But I find that a lot in the after noons when the net is bad. Try send later in the night works best for pics ... Just my opion..Satalte... ( Marshions takeing the high ground )

Cowboy

Wait for it.
GOLD Site Supporter
Great pics fogtender thanks for posting the link I wouldn,t of known where to find your album :clap: . I,ll bet thats quite a rough ride going through & over the burnt stumps . Was that like a controlled burn or one of the many wildfires I had heard about up there this last year ? Very interesting to see :biggrin: , Bob

fogtender

Now a Published Author
Site Supporter
Great pics fogtender thanks for posting the link I wouldn,t of known where to find your album :clap: . I,ll bet thats quite a rough ride going through & over the burnt stumps . Was that like a controlled burn or one of the many wildfires I had heard about up there this last year ? Very interesting to see :biggrin: , Bob

It is a trip that you don't forget quickly, and the jolting keeps that at the forefront of your mind as you take pain killers:yum:

The fire burned about 600,000 acres last summer, it was a lightening strike that started it and the burn lasted all summer.

The fire service did a lot of backfires, but that was to protect cabins in the fire's path...

I flew out over the fire area as it was winding down, maybe I will make a thread of that issues. Really scorched the ground down to dirt....

California

Charter Member
Site Supporter
Great photos!

How the heck did you get that thing started after so long out there in the cold?

fogtender

Now a Published Author
Site Supporter
Great photos!

How the heck did you get that thing started after so long out there in the cold?

In this part of the world due to the cold, just about everything has a block heater that preheats the engine so you can start it. I had to run the generator for about an hour before I could try to start it. There is a 1,500 watt circulation heater on the engine block. It was about -15 when I plugged it in to start the heating.

All the cars here in Alaska have a 110VAC plug hanging out of the grill. I would drive south and people would ask if that was an "Electric Truck", I got tired of telling them about the block heater and so I would just say "yeah, it's electric"... They would nod their head in agreement and then get a really stupid look on their face when I would jump in, start the truck engine and drive off... not the quiet electric motor they were expecting...

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
in the military we had what was called a swing fire heater made in sweeden it was a sort of a pulse jet contraption that locks in a tube with a pump to circulate coolant the thing works good in - 40 weather it takes about 15 to 20 minuts to get a 855 cummins to start you will see the tubes attached to the back of the front cabs on the 6 cyl bv206's the tubes also work goood for heating mre's just put them in in the tube in themorning drive and at lunch or dinner your food is at 200 degrees.

Trakternut

Fogtender, an old joke that circulates around my neck of the woods;
People who're tired of the cold say they'll pack up and head south. When someone asks why that cords hanging out of the front of their vehicle, they know they're far 'nuff south.
I used to drive a truck that had a "Hotbox" heater. Was fired by regular gasoline and plumbed into the truck's cooling system. Light 'er off and the truck would start in about 15 mins.

fogtender

Now a Published Author
Site Supporter
Yeah, the world up North would come to a screaching halt if it weren't for the preheaters!

My cousin always said if he decides to head to warmer climates, he was going to tie a snow shovel to the grill of his truck and head South, when someone would ask him what kind of shovel is that, he was going to call that place his new home...

He kept telling me that for thirty years right up until he died here a few years ago... He had the plan, just never got around to it!

fogtender

Now a Published Author
Site Supporter
Found out that I had to go back where I refueled the dozer about 19 miles back down the trail to find a work cell phone that was dropped there.

The day was really clear, warm and very, very windy. The trip out and back only took about three hours on the snowmachine, but was still a rough ride. Found the cell phone when it rang, so that was good, but it was the trip out and back this time was different.

The place had turned into a Mars landscape... With the wind and fires burning this summer, the dust that was kicked up during the last two days had turned everything red... Didn't have my Hi-Res Camera with me, but did have the Iphone so took some shots with that... It doesn't do justice to the red at all, looks more pinkish in the photos, but was a lot redder in the sun standing there.... More like a North Pole shot on Mars..

Attachments

• IMG_2397.jpg
    IMG_2397.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 488
  • IMG_2395.jpg
    IMG_2395.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 468
  • IMG_2392.jpg
    IMG_2392.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 458
  • IMG_2390.jpg
    IMG_2390.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 471

kapkichi

Fogtender, off topic I am trying to build a freighter sled (copy yours) the detail of how the front pivots under the disks is not clear to me. I know last year you had a
construction video on U tube could you help me? Thanks Kapkichi

fogtender

Now a Published Author
Site Supporter
Fogtender, off topic I am trying to build a freighter sled (copy yours) the detail of how the front pivots under the disks is not clear to me. I know last year you had a
construction video on U tube could you help me? Thanks Kapkichi

Well it is a secret and you can't tell anyone.

The "Fifth Wheel" system pivots forward and aft, the the pivot under the disk is on a one inch bolt that holds the tow sections together and pivots on a teflon cutting board that I got at a hardware store. Here is some videos of how it works. If you ask me in detail what part you don't understand, I can maybe send you photos I took during the construction.

I used springs on the skis at first and they caused the load to surge on the bumps, and when empty the rear sled would bounce and flip over. I took the springs off and used 2" tube steel to replace them and it works great. You don't go fast with a load and the sleds don't bounce when empty.

I used the sled on both the snowmachine (a Bearcat widetrack) and the Imp, the sled was built to the same width as the snowmachine's ski stance so I didn't have to break trail twice.

Here is some of the videos of the sled that may help.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tl8MbtqVs6g"]YouTube - Freight sled[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCipSlstuJk"]YouTube - Pulling a load of lumber[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCipSlstuJk"]YouTube - Pulling a load of lumber[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bfo_mbUGX0"]YouTube - Hauling cabin building supplies[/ame]

I don't currently have the photos of the construction until I get back home in a week or so, but can post them for you when I get to them.

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Man that was a fun ride going through those pictures ............. Thanks!

fogtender

Now a Published Author
Site Supporter
Man that was a fun ride going through those pictures ............. Thanks!

Not nearly as fun making them!:clap: If you go to www.youtube.com and type in fogtender, you will see a bunch of different video's I posted there of the Imp running around.

I see I goofed up when I had posted two of the same video's when I meant to post one of the sled being pulled empty.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NH9ZBrYxszk"]YouTube - Pulling the sled empty[/ame]

Last edited:

kapkichi

Fogtender: If you could send any kind of picture of how that is constructed under the disk. My guess is that you built up from the ski cross over, with two 1 inch sq tube from the cross over to the drawbar brace, then laid the 1 inch bolt perpendicular on top these two 1 inch sq tubes. or did I just wonder down a rabbit trail? Still cloudy! Thanks Kapkichi

Cali2Idaho

You alaskans got some balls!!! Frozen as they may be.:yum::yum:

Cool thread.
Strangely, i watched those videos you posted on youtube probably over a year ago, if im correct. Long before i found this place.