• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

snowplane?

redragtop

I need any help or info on snowplanes. I have located a snowplane. I think it is a Lorch with a Lycoming engine. It is in running order, they think it is early 50's. I am trying to figure out a $ amount on this machine, anyone have any idea? I have not seen the machine yet, but hopefully will be able to go look at it once work slows down & the threat of high water passes here. Right now we are getting ready to pack & move everything out of the house, shop & yard. Hope the predictions are wrong on the flood levels this year.:unsure:

I know B Skurka posted some info earlier in one of the snow cat threads on snowplanes, but I can't seem to find it through searching posts & threads. With the vast amount of knowledge here I hope someone can help.

Thanks Michelle

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
I think it worth what you are willing to pay. The engine has the highest value
tell you what tell me where it is and I will go look at it for you.........:brows:

not a big demand for them but there are some collectors looking for them.
Stay dry do you need to borrow a Hagglunds they are amphibious. you could trade me all your cats for one nice rig you could use in the summer. Gosh you could even live in the back unit :yum:

Attachments

• IMG_2576.jpg
    IMG_2576.jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 1,950
  • IMG_2577.jpg
    IMG_2577.jpg
    133.6 KB · Views: 1,890
  • IMG_2579.jpg
    IMG_2579.jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 1,871
  • IMG_2581.jpg
    IMG_2581.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 1,855
  • IMG_2582.jpg
    IMG_2582.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 1,862
  • IMG_2583.jpg
    IMG_2583.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 1,857

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Not sure about values of those but I recall that we had a whole thread about snowplanes quite a while back. I know Lorch was one of the brands. I believe they were made in Minnesota or one of the areas where there are a lot of lakes. There is (or at least was) a Wikipedia page about them too, but I doubt if that page discussed any values. All the snowplanes seem to have been inspired by the Russian military Aerosan, which was developed in the early 1900s to transport troops over ice/snowcovered fields, while providing some speed and firepower. They typically only carried a couple people but I've seen images of larger craft that would hold a group of soliders.

Link to Wikipedia Page >>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aerosan
Link to Propellor Driven Sleigh >>> http://www.dself.dsl.pipex.com/MUSEUM/TRANSPORT/propsleigh/propsleigh.htm
Link to Aerosleds >>> (Russian language) http://www.armor.kiev.ua/Tanks/WWII/sani/

rf8_petrovsky.jpg

sani3.jpg

Bulldog1401

Anybody seen my marbles?
SUPER Site Supporter
Nice Hagglunds!!

I'll probably end up with one someday. Do they really make you sick to ride in the back?

redragtop

Just missed this fun, they were out last week.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLLwoo8hbSM"]YouTube - Snow Plane Day Manitou Beach SK Canada[/ame]

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Nice Hagglunds!!

I'll probably end up with one someday. Do they really make you sick to ride in the back?

I have had someone drive and rode in back and they seem fine for me? one of the units has a much larger than normal set of windows installed they may have helped. it has sold to Colorado to a Ranch of 5000 acres. one I will keep for myself, we just finnished rebuilding a Chevy 305 with a turbo 350 automatic and installed it in one.

Last edited:

sledhaus

I don't think the Russians ever invented anything that inspired others to copy. Quite the opposite I'm sure. Snowplanes have been around the US since the early 20's easily. The Russian military machines are WWII vintage. Most home-made snowplanes used engines from ground power units because they were cheaper. You can tell them by a substantially smaller crankshaft snout at the prop flange. They were not certified for use in aircraft. After WWII and into the 60's a lot of surplus airplane engines were available too but most were grabbed by the airboat guys. Many snowplane engines have also been salvaged by airboat builders as well. If it is a home-made machine the value is entirely in the engine (aviation or GPU). $500 to $1500 will buy most if you can still find them. If it is a factory-built machine like a Polaris, Trail-A-Sled, or Callair, it is valuable to collectors. I've seen them go between 5 & 10K. A Lorch is a keeper. If you want an opinion you're welcome to PM photos. Sometimes the history of a particular machine makes it's value. eg. Ran the mail, hauled a celebrity, etc. Good luck.

fogtender

Now a Published Author
Site Supporter
Geeze, what a misleading thread, I was all set to see my version of a snowplane... This is my old one that I sold a few years back... Got one with a lot more HP now, and it floats in the summer!

Attachments

• Ski Fly by.jpg
    Ski Fly by.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 1,670