• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Tractor Supply Co

BadAttitude

While out running a few errands yesterday, I noticed that a TSC is going to move into a vacant retail store about 10 mins from me. I've seen many folks online mention that place and always wondered how good the quality of products were.

Any of you guys been there and do you recommend them? Are they just another version of the big box stores? Do they stand behind the products they sell?

Thanx for your .02
BA

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
TSC is the Wal Mart of the tactor world. In some ways that is a compliment, and in other ways it an unfortunate fact that speaks for itself.

They carry lower end implements, but often the regular dealers don't stock some of the implements that TSC will have several of. So if you are an occasional user of a Post Hole Digger, you will get a lower end unit at TSC, it likely is in stock, and it will be at a good price. But don't ask anyone how to use it, because nobody there will have a clue, in fact most people there won't even know were to find one or if it is in stock.

But they carry things in stock that most places special order. And TSC is often cheaper too. It is the type of place you wander around a few times and commit to memory because nobody there will be capable of helping you so you need to fend for youself.

All that said, there is one a bit over an hour away from me and I wish it was closer.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I like TSC. They have some okay stuff. I got a sparyer there to be mounted on my ATV. It didn't work out and they let me return it with no problem. I also got my middle buster there, it's not all that heavy duty, but it gets the job done. They seem to carry more King Kutter implements than anything else.

BadAttitude

Thanx Bob, your reply says it all...buyer beware is something to keep in mind I take it. I'll have to check them out when they open.

Doc...any hassles with returns?

HarryG

So far I've had pretty good luck at TSC. Like posted they are not 'top end barnd" equipment but do have a nice variety and decent prices. Like Doc i bought a middlebuster for under 100 bucks tax included. Suits my needs.
They are also open on weekends which I like for convenience. They have a e mailing list with specials which is also helpful.
So far I like them and they are always helpful to me as a customer.
HarryG

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
No problem at all with the return.
They also have chemicals, horse supplies, fencing, top links, hooks, etc. And some carthart clothing. They are 45 mins from me, and like Bob, I wish they were closer.

BadAttitude

Thanx Harry, I'll sign up one of my emails to their list.

How good is their hardware selection...bolts, nuts, clips, etc? Grade 8 available or just 5?

HarryG

They have (at least my area store) a selection of crap bolts and quality stuff. I like their selection of hitch pins, lynch pins, couplers and all around hardware.
For the special stuff I always make sure I support my "real" hardware store. LOL. We need those real hardware guys.
I can spend hours walking around a hardware store. Must be the kid in me.:a1:
HarryG

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
HarryG said:
I can spend hours walking around a hardware store. Must be the kid in me.:a1:
HarryG

Me to Harry. Even when I don't need anything .....just looking to see what I can find. I enjoy the heck out of it...usually find a little something to buy to. :eek:

BadAttitude

Ditto here...nothing like roaming the hardware section looking for nothing specifically, then finding that uneeded item that you suddenly realize you need, only to take it home and put it somewhere that you will never see again:D

johnday

The Crazy Scot, #3
SUPER Site Supporter
We've got 2 TSC's within 20 miles of each other. The one I usually try first is the closest, ofcourse. I usually walk out like I went in, although a little disgusted I wasted my time. That one has the worse service I've seen in a long while. Don't ask for help, you already know more than the "trained" employes. Example; I asked if they had any yellow diesel cans. The reply; I never heard of them, my grampaw just uses gas cans, I think.

Now the other one is pretty decent. They even have employes that have an IQ over 10, speak our version of English, and try to help the customer. This store is located in a more rural area, and that could be the difference. I suspect many of the kids working there are off area farms.

I can't figure why I torture myself by going to the closer one.
One thing they both have in common, is their poor choice of background music, "country",CACA! But I can put up with it at the good TSC!:yum:

ddrane2115

Charter Member
SUPER Site Supporter
Guess I have the luck of the irish, and I am not irish, but my TSC has some very knowledgable folks on "farm" stuff. Must be the depressed farm market and the farmers need jobs. I have had very good luck in the store.

As for equipment, no, I have a local guy that has better pricing, knows his stuff, has a staff that can install anything, and his bill collector is well..........worth not paying a bill just to get to see. Seriously, this guy is fair, and when done with something he will usually buy it back for less of a loss than renting it. He is less expensive the TSC for the same product. If you are lucky enough to see the bill collector, even better...........I did mention not paying up right?

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
The one around here is pretty good. Even a couple of females that know more than the men around there. You ask for something they will take you right to the place they are and even show you some options.

Must be one of them, "depends on which store your at" things.

murph:thumb:

Wannafish

Floppy Member
SUPER Site Supporter
I agree with the general consensus..."depends on which store your at".

I have 4 within 50 miles of my house. The closest one is 12 miles away and as far as I'm concerned, the best of the lot as far as knowledgeable sales people go. Although, because I'm in there several times a week I know who to ask (and more importantly - who not to ask).
I've never bought an implement at TSC - though probably will sometime in the future.

The clearance items at my local store are fantastic. In the past month I've bought:

Gas powered 2" water pump 4.0 h.p. motor. $85.00 Looks and runs as new.
Gas powered 3" water pump 5.5 h.p. motor. $75.00 (Kind of dirty)
These were returned by the customer - were repaired under warranty (impeller nut wasn't tight and fell off) and resold as "used".
Gas powered 2200 psi pressure washer $150.00
Returned by customer - repaired (screen was plugged) and resold as used.
Works great!
I think that covers how they are about product returns...

$300 for New toolbox top and bottom - was $375 for the set - last one in stock so I asked how much they'd knock off... :D

I hope you get a store like mine!

ddrane2115

Charter Member
SUPER Site Supporter
johnday said:
Hey Danny, I take it the collectors name isn't Vito or Vinny eh?:whistle:

Dont really know, does she have a name, I never got that far! I wrote them a check for 2500.00 and told them how bad it was............she told me she would have to come get me for it. My first THOUGHT was, and this is bad because...........sweet little country gal, and she knows her farm stuff too!

Viking

Site Supporter
I like TSC. I bought a 6' King Kutter rear blade and box scraper there, good prices. I also buy diesel fuel additive there (Power Service), hitch pins and other hardware. I don't expect any help from the employees, it's self serve. They will help you load implements into your pickup with their forklift, which is helpful.

BadAttitude

Thanx for all the replys. Sounds like TCS will suit my needs when a situation arises. Good to hear that returns are not a problem. My reason for asking is some local hardware stores around here require you to contact the manufacturer when there's a problem.

I did registered at their website, so I'll get their E-flyers. The one thing I couldn't find was the store hours. Anyone know?

Wannafish

Floppy Member
SUPER Site Supporter
Argee said:
Around here they're open 'til 9:00PM Mon thru Sat and until 6:00PM on Sundays.

Ours opens at 8:00 & closes at 8:00 Mon-Sat. 9:00 - 6:00 on Sun.

DAP

Didn't TSC acquire Central Tractor Inc a few years back? While one finally opened in the Hudson Valley where I moved from, there do not appear to be ANY near the Mid Coast of Maine.

I agree with Skurka that it now falls squarely into the category of a Big Box store. That being said ...