• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Dish Network HDTV problem - Help?

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I've got Dish Network hooked up to 4 TVs in the house. 3 of the 4 are regular TVs. One is HD. The HDTV uses a special HD receiver.

I got home tonight and sat down in front of the HDTV and got no picture. I checked another TV and it worked fine. So I called Dish Networks help line and ran through all the 10 minutes of B.S. to get to where I needed to be for tech support and found out I needed to "reboot" by receiver.

Fine, did that, now I get about 20 channels. Where are the rest of them?

I re-booted again. No change.

I re-booted yet again. Still no change.

Anyone out there have Dish Network's HDTV receiver who can help me out? Worst case scenario I can go back to the wonderful phone system they have but I'd almost rather pull my own teeth.

Suggestions?

BoneheadNW

Bob, Bob. Stupid question-do you have the instruction manual? While I have DirecTV and do not have an HDTV, I have experienced a similar problem to yours some time ago. One of my 4 T.V.s was acting up and the manual instructed me to something like reboot while depressing the play and stop buttons on the remote (I cant recall exactly but it was something like that).

Is that what you tried?

Bone

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
I've had problems with my Dish HD receivers. To reboot, I unplug from the wall outlet for 5 minutes, plug it back in; everything was restored everytime.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Bonehead . . . I would tell you that is what I did, but you banned me so I can't tell you that. I also can't tell you that it still didn't give me all my channels after doing it 3 times.

Waybomb . . . I'm going to try that now. Thanks.

UPDATE: it still doesn't work right. BUT on the bright side, I am now getting HBO and SHOWTIME H.D. channels which I don't subscribe to. But it sure would be nice to get the channels I actually want and pay for.

Last edited:

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
waybomb said:
I've had problems with my Dish HD receivers. To reboot, I unplug from the wall outlet for 5 minutes, plug it back in; everything was restored everytime.

Yep, that exact routine works for Direct TV receivers also.

BoneheadNW

B_Skurka said:
Bonehead . . . I would tell you that is what I did, but you banned me so I can't tell you that.

Would you stop with that! You are starting to sound like Mrs. Bonehead trying to get sympathy. There, now that I have put you in your place, back to the main subject here. If all else fails, give it a swift whack (the receiver-get your mind out of the gutter) on the left side. You know, I have seen people with Ph.D.s in engineering do that-must be human nature!

Good Luck,

Bonehead

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Press and hold the power button until you see a green stripe flash on the screen and release. Wait one minute and re-power up the receiver. It will go through a series of diagonostics and return to normal.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Well I tried everything but it is still a no go.

I get SOME channels.

And now I am getting HBO, SHOWTIME, FLIX and several other channels that I do NOT subscribe to. But I can NOT get a lot of the channels we watch!!!

I guess I will have to call Dish Network back.

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
B_Skurka said:
Well I tried everything but it is still a no go.

I get SOME channels.

And now I am getting HBO, SHOWTIME, FLIX and several other channels that I do NOT subscribe to. But I can NOT get a lot of the channels we watch!!!

I guess I will have to call Dish Network back.

Bob,

HBO, Showtime and a couple others are having a free preview weekend. It is just a twist of the universe that your problems are at the same time, and makes it appear like your system is really toast.

:peace:

Viking

Site Supporter
Bob, get DirecTV as well. I have Dish Network connected to 3 TV's at one end of my house and DirecTV connected to 4 TV's at the other end of my house. Between both systems and 7 TV's I never have any problems. I have both systems and the baseball season ticket as well as local station coverage of the games that are not covered by the season ticket or ESPN to give me complete coverage of my favorite baseball team.

:batterUp:

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Dave . . . You must be right about the free trial on HBO/etc as I now get those on all my TV sets.

Viking . . . I may just go back to using the antenna on the roof and get rid of the satellite. Yes, there are some great channels like Discovery and History but I'm not impressed with most of the channels. My daughter is hooked on TV now and on the weekends stays up just to watch Disney.

Viking

Site Supporter
Bob, if I could get ESPN, Baseball Season Ticket, New York City local affiliates and the Yes Network on an antenna I would dump the Dish and DirecTV. The rest is crap IMO.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Well looks like I will be calling the Dish Network "Help Line" again tonight after work. Still can only get about 20 total channels on the HDTV receiver. All the regular receivers work fine, but the HD unit is acting all sorts of bad ways. And that is the TV that I actually enjoy watching!

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Just an update. . . 25 minutes on the phone with tech support and it now works again. I don't know why it failed. I don't know why it now works. But I will say the guy who was on the other end of the phone changed my negative opinons about Dish Network to 'neutral' or maybe even 'favorable' based on the help he gave me, how polite he was, and the additional help he offered regarding some other points I asked about that were unrelated to my problem.

While I did have to endure their 'automated' phone system for the first several minutes, as soon as I hit the "HDTV" option I was transferred to a live person without delay. It was a nice surprise to get good customer support, actually very good customer support.

Chief

Bob, if you are interested, I have a Motorola DSR-922 4DTV satellite TV reciever that will give you alot more HD channels with the HD decoder but you would have to install a BUD. I may still have access to a couple of satellite dishes that would work. Would be a lot of work but some folks like it as much for a hobby as they do watching it.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks, but no thanks. I've already got 3 dishes on the house and don't like messing with any of them. I just want the TV to work, nothing more. I was recently informed that my big dish will get bigger, but that is my computer service dish. Seems they are upgrading their equipment, my transmitter will go from 1/2 watt to 4 watts and the weather fade issues will vanish during storms and my upload/download speeds will also increase. The other 2 dishes are for Dish Network. And I now have an antenna on the roof so I pick up HD broadcasts for ABC, NBC, WGN, WTTW (PBS) and FOX via the antenna. CBS HD comes in via Dish Network or the rooftop antenna.

rico304

I use cable, but I would guess if you put one of those dish thingys in every room by the window you should be allright. If not, run a 3" line from TV to TV. (in conduit if you wish to keep it safe) Lastly, hire someone to aim the dish thingy in different directions for different channels. I think this should help:tiphat: :moon: :yum:

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Rico, I can always count on you for a good chuckle. The west wall of the house has 28 windows (actually 27 + 1 glass door). Do you think if I took your suggestion and put a dish by every window it will create enough aerodynamic lift on the house during windy days to make it fly?