• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Blaze

working woman

Site Supporter
The thread about Reggie reminds me of my foster/service dog Blaze.

We are going through service dogs for soldiers program. We have several more months to go. When he graduates he will be pared with a local solider. Right now he has learned to pick up keys and give them to me. He must learn two more task. Right now he pretty much goes everywhere with me. Grocery shopping, bank ect. Its a challenge, but the reward will be great. It is my way of saying thank you to those who haved served

Attachments

• DSC00659.jpg
    DSC00659.jpg
    171.5 KB · Views: 142

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Service dogs and their training are a great service most folks never encounter. Thank you for your efforts.:flowers:

working woman

Site Supporter
thanks all. Yes, Blaze is quite a hansome boy.

Had to go in for a couple of hours to work today. He did ok, but wish he had done better. Had trouble with him wanting to get up and move around the room while I was working.
Then I took him to a boot camp/ self defense class afterwords. It was funny but not funny. I'm trying to do push ups and he rolls over looking for belly rubs, followed by slobering kisses all over my face!

We get home and the roofers are still here (got a metal roof)Thought I would be nice and offer them something to drink. Take the drinks out to the guys only to find out that Blaze locked me out of the house!!:hammer:
Thought that only happened in commercials!!

Yup, we got alot of work to do

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Great thing you're doing Judy.

Blaze can pick up keys. Blaze locked you out of the house. Sounds like you need to marry a couple of his tasks. :)

working woman

Site Supporter
Just in case anyone is interested on an update...

After five months of training Blaze he has officially become medically retired Sgt. Lassiters service dog!. Blaze passed his canine good citizenship test and a PAT test. (which is the service for disabilty part).
Mr Lassiter drove from NC to pick up Blaze. The meeting went well and those two really hit it off.
All the hard work paid off when we met (the service dog instructor) with Mr Lassiter and his commnet was " I just want to go out and do things with my family "

But that night didnt go so well. He spent the night in a hotel and Blaze cried all night and kept trying to sleep with him. Blaze finally settled down around 330 am!
The next morning Mr. Lassiter was on the fence about Blaze. (he never had a dog before)
It was testing day,and I opted to stay away as to not confuse Blaze or distract him.
Fourtnley, my instructor worked with him again which calmed his fears.

Needless to say this story has a happy ending. After testing he went back home with Blaze.

I just heard from his wife that not only is he helping her husband but also her son who is deaf in one ear and can barley hear out of the other. She said when Blaze is done"working" that it is nice to see both her husband and her son smiling and playing ball with Blaze.

That is a double reward!

I was asked a couple weeks ago if the oppurtunity presented itself to train another service dog would I. My response was that I didnt know. Loved the challenge and the companshiop, but the attatchment and bond is something else. (cried for three days ! and still get teary eyed)
After hearing and seeing the payoff, there is no doubt in my mind that if the oppurtuity arouse I would take it!

May Blaze, Sgt Lassiter and his family have a long (and working) happy life together! oh yeh, Blaze is only going to live five miles from the Beach! lucky dog

Attachments

• mail.jpg
    mail.jpg
    4.3 KB · Views: 95

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
That's wonderful Judy!!
You do good work.
Happy times and long years together for Blaze and his new family.
Awesome. :)