• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

What Happens to water in the Arctic

Lyndon

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
This was filmed at my facility a couple days ago. It is currently 52 Degrees F below zero.
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_EjKrTTaWyY"]What happens to water in the arctic ? - YouTube[/ame]

Kane

After a career working in conditions ranging from the tropics to the arctic, I can say with certainty that I have at least learned one thing:

Heat is Misery. Cold is Pain.

And an 80 below wind chill would really hurt.

tommu56

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Must be the global warming!
It evaporated.
I sure hope Al Gore is watching.

He would be proud your proving his theory.

I'm glade he invented the internet or I wouldn't be typing this!!

Lyndon

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Demonstarating this is sort of a "Rite-of-Passage", up here, north of the Arctic Circle. I first did it in 1994 with Hot Coffee. It doesn't work with cold fluids. They follow a normal parabolic trajectory and land on the ground. It only works with hot fluids. Today it warmed up to -25!, but there is a strong breeze. "Jack Frost" isn't just nipping at your nose, he's coming after you with a Chain Saw! The 3 flags waving in the breeze in the Video are: US flag, Alaska State flag, and the BP flag. In a single winter they get completely destroyed by the high winds and abrasive effects of the ice crystals. A normal Stop Sign gets sand blasted clean in about 2 seasons. I'll be wearing a face mask when I go out to do my next inspection in about 20 minutes. Wind chill is at about -55 today. Exposure time is limited to 10 minutes by our safety policy.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Seems your warm up is from the jet stream finally dipping down over the states and bringing snow to the Rockies. They have blizzard warning out for areas where it is meeting gulf moisture around Denver and Utah. Thanks for the warm January!:flowers:

fogtender

Now a Published Author
Site Supporter
You should try to take a piss on a day like that, you have to keep backing up!

If not, you could be there till spring!:yum:

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
PG,

You might freeze your:5boobs:off!

Wouldn't want that...(I always wanted to have a use for that "smiley" anyway:wink:)

Regards, Kirk

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
I think the coldest temps I have experienced was around the -30 range, back in '83, at Christmas.
Nose hair freeze and forehead ache time.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
I remember that Christmas well. Outside oil tanks gelled up and folks had pipes freeze anywhere there was a tiny draft. Spent several days with heat tapes and blow dryers thawing out filters on tanks and dumping heated Kerosene in tanks to thin the oil. Run salamander heaters under mobile homes and watch the water drip from everywhere the pipes had burst as they thawed out. Man I don't miss that fun stuff anymore.

fogtender

Now a Published Author
Site Supporter
I remember that Christmas well. Outside oil tanks gelled up and folks had pipes freeze anywhere there was a tiny draft. Spent several days with heat tapes and blow dryers thawing out filters on tanks and dumping heated Kerosene in tanks to thin the oil. Run salamander heaters under mobile homes and watch the water drip from everywhere the pipes had burst as they thawed out. Man I don't miss that fun stuff anymore.

It's one thing if you live in the cold climate, but living in a place that gets shocked with extreme cold and you'd think the world came to an end! Most have no clue on what to do til the damage is done.

I think it is funny when I drive South from Alaska. All cars here have a electrical plug hanging out of the grill, this is to plug the car/truck in that keeps the engine warm at subzero temps so it will start.

So when I stop at places down south people see the "Alaska" plates and then notice the plug... I get a lot of "Is that an electric truck?", and I get tired of trying to explain the heaters so I just say "yes", they nod their head as if they knew it, but get a really stupid look when I start the engine and drive off.

undy

Man, that's cold.

I've skied A-Basin one Sunday morning, when the thermometer half-way up the mountain read -28, without windchill added and it was windy.

Best excuse ever for 2 runs and St. Pauli Girls in the bar before Sunday noon.

Thanks for a cool video. (pun certainly intended)

Now I live in Wisconsin, and we've got the plugs too. Not that we're using them now...

Cletis

Wild Vid. Coldest I've ever worked in was about 15 yrs ago and -60F windsheild. Absolutely ridiculous, but of course we had to have those haul trks assembled. Had two 100,000btu heaters and couldn't get alot done before stepping back in front of the heater.

Cletis