• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

What if the big 3 collapse?

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
Hey why isn't Toyota, Nissan and others there getting a hand out too?? Fair is Fair :hide:

jwstewar

If the Big 3 go under, where will everyone get their 3/4 and 1 ton trucks? Could be a huge market void there for awhile. As I don't think Toyota and Nissan are ready to play that game yet. Everyone better go buy a few trucks and put them in storage until they need them.:mrgreen::hide:

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
Hey why isn't Toyota, Nissan and others there getting a hand out too?? Fair is Fair :hide:

That's explained in this picture...

Attachments

• Asian.jpg
    Asian.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 83

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
Here's just one last article that sort of puts things into prospective. The information in this article only shows statistics on little ole' Indiana and the country as a whole. Some of the facts are a bit sobering.

Attachments

• A.jpg
    A.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 81

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
If the Big 3 go under, where will everyone get their 3/4 and 1 ton trucks? Could be a huge market void there for awhile. As I don't think Toyota and Nissan are ready to play that game yet. Everyone better go buy a few trucks and put them in storage until they need them.:mrgreen::hide:

Nissan and Toyota would be in there like flies on $hit buying one of the assembly lines.

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
Well, well, fresh off the presses; the executives at GM, Ford, and Chrysler have agreed to limit their compensation, and grant equity stakes in each corporation in return for government money. However, UAW President Ron Gettelfinger has refused to allow the government to require any wage or benefit concessions of UAW members nor allow them to overhaul UAW management.

I guess that about does it for me. Even though it will hurt, as long as the UAW insists on retaining this stranglehold on our domestic automakers I will have to voice my opposition to any government aid for them. The bottom line it the UAW is willing to kill the domestic automakers before they relinquish their control voluntarily. And, with a Democrat controlled Senate and Congress as well as a Democrat President, they feel they will not be forced to do otherwise. I will now not buy any GM, Ford or Chrysler stock at any price based on this news. Imagine telling your great grandkids about these great companies of long ago that used to build almost all the cars in this country in a city called Detroit. This sucks. The UAW is unbelievable. I believe they have now officially succeeded in destroying our domestic automakers.

fogtender

Now a Published Author
Site Supporter
I'm not trying to sound like a smartass, really, but what does the "big 3" supply the military?

Most of the trucks come from Oshkosh Truck, and HMMV's from AM General (which is what is left of AMC) which is not GM, to the best of my knowledge.

Most of the vech's they drive are Chevy, Ford and Dodge cars and pickups as support vech's on the bases here and overseas... not all but, most.

We don't need to have the bases run out of the back of a Toyota or BMW, although the M1 Tank was a Chrysler design, matter of fact, just about all the military heavy equipment was designed and built by the Big three then spun off at a later date to a separate company.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1316/is_/ai_4696991

In the time of war, the big three can be converted fairly quickly to be ramped up to start producing weapon systems. I would doubt that Toyota or other foreign companies would be that big of a hurry to assist us in such an event.

Although the next war may only take about an hour...

The Tourist

Banned
I truly believe that having these big car companies crash and burn will be good for America over time.

Yes, lots of folks will be out of work. They'll find jobs, or create their own companies. That's what people did in the past. If anything, we'll eliminate a lot of those useless 'middle management' jobs that just push paper.

Electricity will not run for 24 per day. Kids will have to run and play outside.

Instead of tossing away a perfectly good vehicle, or expecting a new one on your sixteenth birthday, people will have to start washing, waxing and repairing their stuff. They might even learn how to do simple repairs--like many of us did in the past.

Maybe people will lay down the booze and cigarettes and try to stay healthy. Or they'll die.

If some of this false bravado is taken out their miserable hides, and they realize that the world can be a treacherous place, perhaps they'll respect our military a bit more. And care for our veterans.

When a neighbor is in trouble, they'll do what our mothers did. They'll bake a pie, go visit and offer support. For many, they'll actually get to know their neighbors for the first time.

Yeah, we'll have some rusty cars, some jeans with patches, older model computers, smaller incomes and thinner children.

Maybe this disaster is a blessing in disguise.

fogtender

Now a Published Author
Site Supporter
I truly believe that having these big car companies crash and burn will be good for America over time.

Yes, lots of folks will be out of work. They'll find jobs, or create their own companies. That's what people did in the past. If anything, we'll eliminate a lot of those useless 'middle management' jobs that just push paper.

Electricity will not run for 24 per day. Kids will have to run and play outside.

Instead of tossing away a perfectly good vehicle, or expecting a new one on your sixteenth birthday, people will have to start washing, waxing and repairing their stuff. They might even learn how to do simple repairs--like many of us did in the past.

Maybe people will lay down the booze and cigarettes and try to stay healthy. Or they'll die.

If some of this false bravado is taken out their miserable hides, and they realize that the world can be a treacherous place, perhaps they'll respect our military a bit more. And care for our veterans.

When a neighbor is in trouble, they'll do what our mothers did. They'll bake a pie, go visit and offer support. For many, they'll actually get to know their neighbors for the first time.

Yeah, we'll have some rusty cars, some jeans with patches, older model computers, smaller incomes and thinner children.

Maybe this disaster is a blessing in disguise.

I think the best thing is for one or all three to go into chapter 11, which would break all the UAW contracts and go from there. Fire the workers that don't perform and hire those that do back.

The cost of the cars would come down as they went back to somewhat basic cars instead of the fancy stuff we have now days in an effort to compete or die. The jobs would still be there, but on a smaller scale with more reasonable pay for the work done.

Av8r3400

Gone Flyin'
:agree: That is a great comment that I agree with whole heartedly! The dummycRATS won't let it happen though.

Wow. I'm dizzy from the spin in that story. Luckily the M-1 is now and will remain the premier battle tank in service right now. It has proven itself in the field, many times.

In the time of war, the big three can be converted fairly quickly to be ramped up to start producing weapon systems. I would doubt that Toyota or other foreign companies would be that big of a hurry to assist us in such an event.

Although the next war may only take about an hour...

Being in the an industry serving the military, I can assure you that if a company's facilities are needed in a time of war, the government will seize them. Weather Toyota, Daimler or some other unknown company buys out the carcass of the big three, they will make whatever the military needs, when they need it.

Personally, I doubt that the SEC or whomever would allow the car companies to be purchased by a foreign owned company due to monopoly laws or some other convenient excuse.

fogtender

Now a Published Author
Site Supporter
:agree: That is a great comment that I agree with whole heartedly! The dummycRATS won't let it happen though.

No, but they (Both sides of the isle) will throw enough money to all the wrong places... Like using a shotgun, you can hit a target even if your aim is off, as well as hit the rest of the background that you weren't aiming at. They won't be very efficient, but they may get the job done.

Wow. I'm dizzy from the spin in that story. Luckily the M-1 is now and will remain the premier battle tank in service right now. It has proven itself in the field, many times.

Yeah, I wouldn't want to be the one to piss a tank crew off that drives them around.

Being in the an industry serving the military, I can assure you that if a company's facilities are needed in a time of war, the government will seize them. Weather Toyota, Daimler or some other unknown company buys out the carcass of the big three, they will make whatever the military needs, when they need it.

Most of the engineers and those that run the companies for the those foreign owners, are from those countries. If a war of that type was to hit where we needed to revamp those places for war, the expertise would be the first to leave. If all the American owned companies are gone, our pool of expertise to draw from would be pretty shallow... not to mention that a lot of the suppliers are now from overseas already, we sold off that part part of our soul a long time ago.

Personally, I doubt that the SEC or whomever would allow the car companies to be purchased by a foreign owned company due to monopoly laws or some other convenient excuse.

SEC didn't have a problem letting our beer sell off to a foreign company....:blink: