• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Ford Industrial 200 cid differences and will a Ford 300 cid bolt in?

wildskies.com

Hi Everybody,

I have a 1971 Thiokol 1202B with the Ford 200 cid industrial engine that is getting tired. I'm about ready to order some spark plug non-foulers from JC Whinteys.............
Would a Ford 300 CID from a 80's Ford pickup be a good swap? Are the engine mounts in the same location? This machine has the lowest gearing that the factory offered. Is a aftermarket overdrive a good option? Like a 3rd party motor home overdrive? Right now at 3400 in 4th gear it goes around 8 MPH. Hummmm , maybe 12 MPH would be good.... Is the 200 cid industrial engine worth sticking with?
I'm looking at taking off the top of the cab and fixing / replacing the engine, pressure plate + clutch, rebuilding the four speed crash box, replacing the carb if not going EFI. Any good thoughts and ideas?

Thanks,

Chip

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
your big problem with ford engines are the their different bell housings my suggestion would be get a 300 with c-6 transmission, and install it as a unit. than if you want a gear vendors od unit add it on I feel your pain my thiokol2100 travels the same speed and I have the ability to slip the 13 inch clutch with out spinning the tracks.

wildskies.com

Thanks Don. I know that faster = more wear and tear but what is the reasonable speed that you can push the tracks on a wide track 1202b? Does going from 8 mph to 15 mph make that much difference on wear and tear and maintenance? Going through the grouser / track bolts is yearly summer maintenance. I really like Gear Vendors products. At 15 MPH I could outrun my neighbors 77 Thiokol. Just kidding Larry....... I am looking to go faster with lower engine RPM, except on the deep powder days. Its a great feeling when the snowcat starts to swim through the powder. It starts to feel like a boat that is not on plane yet. I think that I might need to cool the OC12 at 15 mph too. Any thoughts?
Thanks!

Chip
71 1202B Thiokol
wildskies.com

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
I just put up a post on my oc-12 I will cover band replacement when parts get here. 15 mph is reasonable I shooting for 20 at 2400 on my 2100 diesel you can just change gears in the drop box one guy with a rig like yours has the ability to see 25 mph but doesn't like it feels gutless at high altitude the other thing you have to worry about if you have an early model with small axles like a 601 you will break the front spindle

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
Hey Don,

Besides the snow machine, whats in your picture?

Chip
look up bad things happen at night there is a picture of the inside of the oc-12 with a broke band. I will cover more as the parts arrive later next week and I preform the repairs in the field

willd

Before you go buying parts willy-nilly, do some research on the overdrive Ford automatics and their interchanges.

It would be a lot better to have an E40D or one of the other factory overdrives than a gear vendors when it comes to maintenance and parts availability. The gear vendors are cool and offer gear splitting for towing but in your application I think 4 gears would be enough.

Not sure I'm excited about having an automatic trans in a sno cat due to the HP they lose over a manual but if you want one then go for it.

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Before you go buying parts willy-nilly, do some research on the overdrive Ford automatics and their interchanges.

It would be a lot better to have an E40D or one of the other factory overdrives than a gear vendors when it comes to maintenance and parts availability. The gear vendors are cool and offer gear splitting for towing but in your application I think 4 gears would be enough.

Not sure I'm excited about having an automatic trans in a sno cat due to the HP they lose over a manual but if you want one then go for it.

I agree with this...

The big reason to go Auto would be if say your going up a steep incline, need to drop a gear, and miss the shift. Then you go backwards at high speed... But yes you loose some power as well... No free lunch here.

Regards, Kirk

Thefatsquatch

Just came across this thread. Did anyone actually put am AOD in a 2100 or something big like that? I just wonder how steep it will go without slipping.