• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Pond plants needed

squerly

Supported Ben Carson
GOLD Site Supporter
I have a couple of ponds; both are about 100’ long and 50’ wide. I currently keep one of them stocked with trout and plan to keep bass in the other. Both of the ponds are in their 3rd year and have plenty of natural plants (weeds) growing around them.

I would like to introduce some plants that will help clean unwanted chemicals and natural occurring elements that are not productive to the environment. Also something that will help with aeration of the water.

Anyone have suggestions?

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
It's been 10 years since I was up on ponds as I buried mine 12 years ago but it sounds like you need a decent supply of algae.

squerly

Supported Ben Carson
GOLD Site Supporter
It's been 10 years since I was up on ponds as I buried mine 12 years ago but it sounds like you need a decent supply of algae.
Given you aren't using yours anymore perhaps you can send it to me? :smile:

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Sure, so long as you pay postage.

Do you have any creeks around? If so, next July or so, go grab some algae covered rocks and put them in your pond. Don't put them in deep water as they won't get enough sun.

squerly

Supported Ben Carson
GOLD Site Supporter
Sure, so long as you pay postage.

Do you have any creeks around? If so, next July or so, go grab some algae covered rocks and put them in your pond. Don't put them in deep water as they won't get enough sun.
Great idea BC! I have a stream that is full of algae covered rocks, fallen trees, ets. Thanks!

Adillo303

Diesel Truck Fan
GOLD Site Supporter
Go to a pond store and get some water hyacinth (sp). It reproduces and grows like crazy. Mine just died off for the winter, or I would send you some.

You can also introduce parrot feather, but, you will be cleaning it out often, it grows like crazy. I also have water lettuce. All are good for the water. The water hycainth is the best.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_hyacinth

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Be careful with that water hyacinth as it's an invasive species. Per the wiki link, When not controlled, water hyacinth will cover lakes and ponds entirely; this dramatically impacts water flow, blocks sunlight from reaching native aquatic plants, and starves the water of oxygen, often killing fish (or turtles). The plants also create a prime habitat for mosquitos.

If you want "stuff" that comes out of the ground, I always used some tall grasses. I don't recall when their name is but I would just get them out of the creek bank. They looked something like the tall grass in this pic.
GrassHuhOnEdgeOfPond.jpg

jimbo

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Have you checked with your county extension agent? They would probably be able to start you in the right direction with non invasive local plants that would accomplish what you want to do.

joec

GOLD Site Supporter
Yes and from my understanding is one woman brought the first plant in to Florida in the 1930 and now they cover most of the canals, swamps all the way to Texas and as far north as North Carolina. At any rate that is why sea cows are so popular and protected in Florida the eat the stuff.