• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Question about car navigation systems

joec

GOLD Site Supporter
I got a surprise birthday gift today in the mail. It is a Cobra Nav One 2100 and was wondering if any one is familiar with them. It is pretty portable but seems to work at least when I put in my home location it was correct. I've never used one in a car before, so know very little about them. I'm familiar with the old Sat Nav systems on boats for example that I had on a sail boat I owned during the 80's.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Things have come a long long ways since the 80's. I have a cheap Sony GPS and it got us to Folly Beach SC this past weekend. No issues at all. We bring maps with us out of habit and to see where we are ....but really we did not need them. The GPS unit will tell you well ahead of time what your next turn will be so you can be in the correct lane, and they will give you an estimated ETA, along with how many miles you have yet to go. Pretty slick really.
Around town I find it does not know all the 'best' routes so I don't always follow the directions. I was hoping it would learn, but that was wishful thinking. I predict you will like this gift, especially when you are ready for your next road trip.

joec

GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks Doc one of my kids sent it to me for the trip to Pigeon Forge that I actually know the way too. I guess they mean well though, figuring my memory is going at my advanced years. :biggrin: At least it is pretty portable so nothing permanent mounted in the car.