• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

1980 Tucker beast

GlacierSean

SUPER Site Supporter
This would make one heck of a snowcat skiing cat. Probably didn't save enough pennies but if I can afford it....

that really is a monster - for the trails I'm grooming my 1344 with a 318 is a bit of overkill - this one would be over the top - lol

DAVENET

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
90% sure that started life as an Aleska(?) Tucker. Stupidly well maintained while in Alaska apparently. The key is what has it done since coming to the continental US.

mikemikelle

Not sure I could afford to fill those side tanks......

Any of you Tucker folks have an idea on the dimensions and weight of this model?

Wondering if it would be tougher than towing my Imp......

with a smart car:smile:

Blackfoot Tucker

GOLD Site Supporter
I agree with Dave that this looks like an ex-Aleyska Tucker.

They bought a bunch of Tuckers and as he said kept them incredibly well maintained. Back in 2011 (I think) they auctioned off a bunch, maybe eight or so, in Fairbanks, AK. They were all 1743s and 1744s with Detroit 4-53T engines, Allison AT-545 transmissions and Warn winches. I thought about going to the auction, but:

A.) I already had three Tuckers.

B.) I thought the auction would draw a lot of buyers and there would be no bargains.

C.) Getting it shipped would be cost prohibitive.

Of course they all went cheap!

http://www.forumsforums.com/3_9/showthread.php?t=48245&highlight=fairbanks+auction

Some may remember forum member Firedozer who had a beautiful 1744. That was sold at the auction to a mining company who decided not to use it and he got a smokin' deal on it.

http://www.forumsforums.com/3_9/showthread.php?t=75312&highlight=1744

The 1700 series machines are significantly heavier than the 1600 series. The data plate shows an unloaded weight of 7,710 lbs. If anyone is seriously interested in this machine you might think about calling Tucker and asking them to send you the order sheet for this Tucker. You'll need to give them the serial number for them to look it up. That will give you all the specs on the order.

A little over two years ago another 1743 came up for auction in North Dakota. This one looks to be virtually identical, though in slightly better shape. It went stupid cheap at $7,750.

And is was discussed in the forum:
http://www.forumsforums.com/3_9/showthread.php?t=72838&highlight=ritchie+brothers+1743

OOPS, I see Glacier Sean posted that link while I was composing my reply...

Aaron Tucker

Aaron Tucker

much bigger 14 people

Attachments

• 728.jpg
    728.jpg
    163.1 KB · Views: 684

mikemikelle

Hundred bucks in fuel to trailer it, and 200 bucks to drive it......like having an bad ass off-shore race boat, but without the bikini clad entourage

We are a mixed up bunch!!!!

teamster

4 years ago identical machine sold at Ritchies, in Edmonton Alberta for $13500 Canadian, and went to North Dakota, I know of a gentleman that paid $18500 US in Alaska, for one a year ago and STILL hasn't been able to get it to Canada. He said total pain in the a--s with paperwork. In regards to weight, my opinion only, but what is posted on the factory plates is not even close to what they weight. I have weighted, on a actual scale, both of the Tuckers I've owned. The 1344 that Logger65, now owns was 1500 lbs heavier than the plate said, and those of you that have seen my modified 1742 probably think I added tremendous weight to it, but I never. When I bought the 1742, I scaled it, and the plate says 7400 lbs, I think, and actual weight was 11,500 lbs. I believe that 1743 will sell for at least $16,000.

The Sweet Wbj1

At the suggestion of another member, I called and spoke to Tucker to get their take on a 1743 in my situation. According to them the 1743s were purpose built machines. Built more heavy duty for doing work in harsh climates, i.e. the pipeline work in AK. Heavier fifth wheel plates, steering components, etc as well as the diesel engine and auto tranny being much heavier. Of course all that extra weight leads to a higher PSI on the tracks. No big deal if you are hauling people to a job site on flat, semi improved roads, etc BUT not ideal if you are in the steep and deep at 10,000'.

Blackfoot Tucker

GOLD Site Supporter
At the suggestion of another member, I called and spoke to Tucker to get their take on a 1743 in my situation. According to them the 1743s were purpose built machines. Built more heavy duty for doing work in harsh climates, i.e. the pipeline work in AK. Heavier fifth wheel plates, steering components, etc as well as the diesel engine and auto tranny being much heavier. Of course all that extra weight leads to a higher PSI on the tracks. No big deal if you are hauling people to a job site on flat, semi improved roads, etc BUT not ideal if you are in the steep and deep at 10,000'.

That's interesting information, and thanks for sharing it. Looking at photos of 1700 series machines the frames are slightly different with more support members and more gussets. The axles on 1600 series machines are Dana 60 rear axles, but the ones on this machine are different, perhaps IH axles? They look like they weigh more as well.

Out of curiosity I Googled the respective weights of the Detroit 4-53T and a Chrysler 318. Huge difference. HUGE. If the information I found is correct, a 318 weighs about 550 lbs, but the Detroit 4-53T is downright obese at 1,300 lbs. That extra 750 lbs is also all sitting on the front axle, as is the Warn winch in front. In terms of overall weight, the Aleyska equipped Tuckers seem to have extra batteries, and this one has an extra fuel tank too. Diesel is heavier than gasoline at about 7 lbs /gallon, so fair to say another 400 lbs for the 50 gallons and the weight of the tank. That skid plate doesn't look lightweight, either.

A saying in the Harley world is "It's not the destination, it' the journey". That's somewhat applicable to Tuckers too, as they aren't fast. But that said, I wonder what the gear ratios in this machine are. I suspect they're lower (higher numerically) which would reduce the speed of this machine as well.

Still though, at the end of the day I think the ex-Aleyska Tuckers have a coolness factor all of their own. I'd love to have a one of their 1744s for no other reason than..."just because".

DAVENET

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
The perfect people hauler, but it would be a miserable b!tch in tight NE woods!