• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Basket Case

Alp Trac

Here is a snow trac in need of a bit of work!

I am trying to locate this trac which is in a yard in Cumbria in the UK.

I think it is beyond saving and would like to find it for spares.

It has had a landrover series vehicle roof fitted to it and a rather neat mod to the front lights.

If any one knows where it is I would be very grateful!

Attachments

• Spare04.jpg
    Spare04.jpg
    178.9 KB · Views: 293
  • Spare02.jpg
    Spare02.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 292
  • Spare06.jpg
    Spare06.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 289

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
adam hemms said:
Here is a snow trac in need of a bit of work!

I am trying to locate this trac which is in a yard in Cumbria in the UK.

I think it is beyond saving and would like to find it for spares.

Well I can't help you find that one, but if you do find it, I would say it is NOT beyond restoration. Here is a "before" photo of my Snow Trac. I do like the dual headlamp arrangement on that one in your photo!

Attachments

• 11attachment.jpg
    11attachment.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 286

Alp Trac

success! I have located the snow trac above! The chap who has it wants 600 pounds (1,118 dollars) sterling for it. He says it hasn't run for a few years...He has had some new steel sprockets made for it as the original brass were starting to hook the bottom of the tracks he reckons, does this happen? Surely they can just be reversed? Read else where on the forum re the disadvantages of steel sprockets though. The original sprockets are still fitted. Any thoughts?

Attachments

• Spare08.jpg
    Spare08.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 271

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
From what I have read, I would not want steel sprockets. They will work, but they will lead to track wear. The original sprockets are reversable and Christer Morlind has some if you want to contact him.

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
Go with the Bronze originals. Bronze is a self lubricating metal. They made them out of bronze for a reason. If you use steel then the grousers will wear out at an alarming rate and then you have 60 or more on each side to replace at $30.00 easch. 120 x $30.00 or more adds up real quick!

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
First thing now is to clean and zirk every fitting you can. Then pressure wash the entire vehicle down. Start with a clean unit. Keep every loose nut and bolt you find in a zip lock bag. Mark where you found it and drop it in a bag. write a note for you and oput it inside the bag as well. Place these parts bag in some type of larg plastic storage box. Get several of these and get ready to fill them up. I will be pulling my engine and transmission next weekend. I will post pictures on a how to thread. I will show you what to do so dont worry about that when the time comes. You have plenty of time to get your snow Trac running before winter hits. (I am assuming you have a winter there in your nexk of the woods. It did look alot like a jungle though) Anyway you can have that beast ready for some trecks in a few months!

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
That is a preety interesting snow trac. Someone has put alot of work into putting that cab on and removing the inner benches. Most lickly used to haul something. Give us lots of pics. Also 600 pounds is a good price.

Alp Trac

Crossed wires! I have not bought this Trac, thought someone else might be interested though. pm me if anyone wants details

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Mike, this is not Adam's Snow Trac.

Adam purchased a different one in England and moved it to the French Alps. He has a thread that shows photos of his unit. He was looking for this one, I think for some parts???

Alp Trac

hi there,

been away from the computer for a while and not been able to check up on things.

just to clarify this is a snow trac i tracked down in Cumbria in the UK it is for sale for 600 pounds sterling, if anyone is interested in a project please Pm me and i will let you have contact details for the guy selling it.

I am looking for a snow trac for parts but I think I have located one in a valley close to me in the alps, i will keep you posted!

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
adam hemms said:
I am looking for a snow trac for parts but I think I have located one in a valley close to me in the alps, i will keep you posted!

Adam you are in the French alps? It is my understanding that Snow Tracs are very rare in France. MAKE SURE WE GET PHOTOS. It sure would be easier for you if you did find a parts machine that was closer to your rather than having to pull a 'parts' machine across the English Channel.

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
Send us some more photos from your first outing or if you had more outings those too. How do you like the roof rack? Looks well made.