• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Prepping for biological disaster

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
Hi all, I hope not but this China corona virus thing has the potential to get ugly. In China basically the whole country is shut down. The only cities still operating are the port cities, when those close up shop it is going to effect the manufacturing supply chain for the whole world, which is going to shut down everyones economies. Then there is the virus its self. I think the mortality rate is much higher than being reported due to the Chinese government response. There are even reports on the news suggesting that. I would try to obtain anti viral medication or Collidial silver is known to kill viruses and when people don't go to work there is nothing on the store shelf. The best plan is not to get sick in the first place so if it starts spreading around here do you have supplies and somewhere isolated to go for months? Marty

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
To the OP. YES. Currently in the midst of some last minute preparations as we speak.

Let the liberals eat out of a dumpster by day 2. We will be enjoying much better fare. :clap:

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
To the OP. YES. Currently in the midst of some last minute preparations as we speak.

Let the liberals eat out of a dumpster by day 2. We will be enjoying much better fare. :clap:

Maybe not by day two but by the end of a week things will be getting interesting.

One of the freezers has some room in it so we had planned to go to the meat packers in town and get some steaks, ribs and chili meat. I'm going to hold off a little bit on everything else to see how things shake out.

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
We keep a nice supply of freeze dried food in those 5 gallon buckets on hand. Those have an advertised shelf life of 25 years, but if kept in a cool place year round I am sure they will last much longer than that. My son will most likely inherit them if not needed first.

Further more we have plenty of propane on hand and two Kelly Kettles, as last resort, to heat the water for the food. Bare bones, no lie, but better than fighting a liberal for scraps out of that dumpster.

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
Something to think about is it in Mexico already and our southern border will usher it right in, with a 2 week incubation period while being contagious will be a good recipe for disaster in those fu<king sanctuary cities. We all know how sanitary they are. Can you imagine whats going to happen when Los Angeles, Sanfrancisco , Portland ,Seattle, Chicago, New York etc. become hot spots. First it will be in the social underground then explode into the general population. My que to head to the mountain is when they start shuttering government agencies like closing schools etc. This thing could blow right through with few incidents or blow up unlike wild fire. at this point no one knows. Marty

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
We keep a nice supply of freeze dried food in those 5 gallon buckets on hand. Those have an advertised shelf life of 25 years, but if kept in a cool place year round I am sure they will last much longer than that. My son will most likely inherit them if not needed first.

Further more we have plenty of propane on hand and two Kelly Kettles, as last resort, to heat the water for the food. Bare bones, no lie, but better than fighting a liberal for scraps out of that dumpster.

Got 25 year food from the Obama days and always have canned food along with a good medical supply. On the mountain is a cabin with cook stove, unlimited fresh water, wood for heat and critters to eat in a remote hard to get to location 5 miles off grid also easily defendable with good visibility of the road below but completely hidden in the trees. Need to store more propane and fuel.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter

Not much freeze dried food on hand, some but not a lot, maybe a couple of days worth at most.

Nothing wrong with a Kelly Kettle. I've had one for years. My one works great but as you said, it wouldn't be my first choice. In an emergency though, it's a Godsend. Reminds me, I probably need to check all that stuff out.

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
Not much freeze dried food on hand, some but not a lot, maybe a couple of days worth at most.

Nothing wrong with a Kelly Kettle. I've had one for years. My one works great but as you said, it wouldn't be my first choice. In an emergency though, it's a Godsend. Reminds me, I probably need to check all that stuff out.

I have lots of of pine trees around which means lots of pine cones. They are superb fuel for the Kelly Kettle. You can boil water in no time. I keep a box of pine cones handy in the shed for that reason and making Christmas wreaths. :smile:

Don't forget a nice stash of fire starter sticks too. I keep matches on hand as well, but love those fire sticks. Cheap and handy.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
TR, I live in the piney woods of East Texas. I have enough fuel for the Kelly kettle to keep it going for years, if I don't burn it out.

I am an old tent and car camper before I got too old and decided that I needed a little more comfort. All the old equipment is still here and functioning (I think). I still have a stash of fire starters of all sorts and enough butane lighters to last a long, long time. If that fails, there is always the butane torch and cannisters of fuel that could incinerate a waterlogged log. I use it occasionally to start up the wood fired smoker when it is being stubborn.

I've lived out in the country for a long time and in the immortal words of Hank Jr, "A Country Boy Will Survive".

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Apparently people in Hong Kong are unprepared :hammer:

Panic is spreading, but as it is essentially an island with no natural resources, the supply chain is the only thing keeping them alive.

I'll admit I would starve if we were stuck out here for longer than 30 days based on what I have stored. (assuming I don't shoot and eat some rabbits or a deer) But we have a reasonable amount stocked up. And toilet paper, soap, cleaning supplies and dog food too.

But realistically there is no panic and a ready supply here now and no reason I couldn't go out in 1 afternoon and gather up enough food and other goods to feed us for a couple months. I'm slowly building up our inventory with each of our trips to the supermarket, Costco and Aldi. I don't want to buy 30 days worth of food in a panic buy, but if I need 2 cans of beans from the store I'll buy 8 or 10 and just end up with an extra bit. And doing that each and every time we go to town to the store it adds up.

Panicked Hong Kongers Hoard Food, Water, Supplies Amid Coronavirus Hysteria

Now that striking health-care workers have successfully forced Carrie Lam's government to close most of its border links with the mainland and dramatically restrict travel from elsewhere in China, a full-on panic has engulfed the city, fueled by "malicious rumors" about supply shortages, Reuters reports.

Chaos has erupted in some areas as supermarkets have imposed limits on how many items customers can buy. Hundreds of shoppers have thronged aisles of supermarkets as they struggle to buy up as many consumer staples - rice, water, meat, noodles etc. - as they can again on Friday. Chinese-ruled Hong Kong has reported 25 cases of the virus and one of only three deaths outside the mainland.

"Everyone’s snatching whatever they can get. I don’t even know what’s going on," said a 72-year-old woman surnamed Li as she clutched two bags of toilet rolls.

The situation in Hong Kong right now is incredibly tense. Many still have horrible memories from the SARS outbreak of 2002-2003, which killed roughly 300 people as it swept through the city. But the scare also comes after months of anti-Beijing protests by the Hong Kong pro-democracy movement.

Already, Matthew Cheung, chief secretary for administration, said that Hong Kong people returning from the mainland must stay home for a fortnight or risk a $3,200 fine and up to 6 months in jail. Non-Hong Kong residents must stay in government isolation centers or hotel rooms for the same period, facing the same penalties.

"Self discipline and having everybody in Hong Kong fighting...this infectious disease is the most important thing," said Sophia Chan, the city’s health secretary.

There was some good news in Hong Kong: Thousands of medical workers who had been on strike this week to press the government to close the border voted to suspend their action on Friday night, though they said they would continue to pressure the government for tighter measures to suppress the outbreak.

City authorities said they were conducting checks for the virus on a quarantined cruise ship carrying some 3,600 people that docked in Hong Kong this week. Meanwhile, health officials are trying to trace people who had traveled on the ship, many of whom disembarked in Hong Kong in January.

But while consumer staples and medical supplies like facemasks flew off the shelves, Hong Kong's biggest shopping centers were eerily empty: Bloomberg reported from a deserted shopping mall....

Link to full story ==> https://www.zerohedge.com/geopoliti...-water-supplies-authorities-expand-quarantine

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
Apparently people in Hong Kong are unprepared :hammer:

Panic is spreading, but as it is essentially an island with no natural resources, the supply chain is the only thing keeping them alive.

I'll admit I would starve if we were stuck out here for longer than 30 days based on what I have stored. (assuming I don't shoot and eat some rabbits or a deer) But we have a reasonable amount stocked up. And toilet paper, soap, cleaning supplies and dog food too.

But realistically there is no panic and a ready supply here now and no reason I couldn't go out in 1 afternoon and gather up enough food and other goods to feed us for a couple months. I'm slowly building up our inventory with each of our trips to the supermarket, Costco and Aldi. I don't want to buy 30 days worth of food in a panic buy, but if I need 2 cans of beans from the store I'll buy 8 or 10 and just end up with an extra bit. And doing that each and every time we go to town to the store it adds up.

Link to full story ==> https://www.zerohedge.com/geopoliti...-water-supplies-authorities-expand-quarantine

I think right now there is no need for panic here in the US but it is time to be cautious and prepare. If it were to start spreading around here one very good delivery system is money especially Paper money, I remember reading that there are 2 things present on all paper money 1- drugs 2- body fluids then public transportation, restraunts, stores etc. There is a Chinese buffet in town we usually hit once a week. The wife is Chineese and suggested we skip it for a while as she talks to the help there and the owner. They are all southern Chinese from that area and travel there frequently and now especially due to the Chinese new year. Marty

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Honestly part of our prepping may be simply staying out of the public for a bit. I think there is ZERO threat now. But every day the treat gets a little closer. If, and I say, IF this becomes an issue, it will be an issue a month or so from now. My fencing event commitments are winding down, so my travel is going to stop. Living 5 miles from the nearest town, 7 miles from the next and 8 miles the other direction to another puts us smack in the middle of nowhere. If there is a pandemic, it might just be a desirable place to live!

We still have not been approved as foster parents ... not sure why but it may be a blessing in disguise. We may delay bringing kids in the house if this becomes an issue because it will, through mandated visits to doctors offices, take us into the areas where healthy people probably should not be going! And at 59 years old, we are not young anymore and most of the complications and problems with the Corona virus seem to affect older people. Hmmm...

But as I said, no real threat today. 30, 45 or 60 days into the future that might be the same. Or it might be different. Very different. Realistically I believe this disease will spread. The question is will they figure out a reasonable treatment regimen for it and will there ever be a vaccine and/or drug supply to combat it? The longer the disease is delayed from spreading the better off we will all be.

Oddly enough, ZERO cases exist in South and Central America. ZERO cases in Africa. Both areas are being courted by the Chinese with all sorts of diplomatic and infrastructure investments. Apparently, however, very little travel.

None in Hawaii, which again I find surprising because its a natural travel route for airlines.

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
Honestly part of our prepping may be simply staying out of the public for a bit. I think there is ZERO threat now. But every day the treat gets a little closer. If, and I say, IF this becomes an issue, it will be an issue a month or so from now. My fencing event commitments are winding down, so my travel is going to stop. Living 5 miles from the nearest town, 7 miles from the next and 8 miles the other direction to another puts us smack in the middle of nowhere. If there is a pandemic, it might just be a desirable place to live!

We still have not been approved as foster parents ... not sure why but it may be a blessing in disguise. We may delay bringing kids in the house if this becomes an issue because it will, through mandated visits to doctors offices, take us into the areas where healthy people probably should not be going! And at 59 years old, we are not young anymore and most of the complications and problems with the Corona virus seem to affect older people. Hmmm...

But as I said, no real threat today. 30, 45 or 60 days into the future that might be the same. Or it might be different. Very different. Realistically I believe this disease will spread. The question is will they figure out a reasonable treatment regimen for it and will there ever be a vaccine and/or drug supply to combat it? The longer the disease is delayed from spreading the better off we will all be.

Oddly enough, ZERO cases exist in South and Central America. ZERO cases in Africa. Both areas are being courted by the Chinese with all sorts of diplomatic and infrastructure investments. Apparently, however, very little travel.

None in Hawaii, which again I find surprising because its a natural travel route for airlines.

I agree with your strategy in keeping a low profile and just staying away from crowds in general, don't panic but just pay attention. The cure is 3 months to 1 year away. Reports say it will die out with warmer weather but could return in the fall. I read that there is 1 in Mexico a returnee fro Wuhan. Marty

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter

Bob, I remember us having a conversation about this a couple of years back in the preppers forum just after you got your back-up generator (I think). By the way, I still haven't got mine but I swear it'll be installed this year. You helped me identify a couple of shortfalls in my provisioning plan, namely dog food and Scotch whisky. I want to assure you that come what may, I now have enough dog and cat food for several months and enough Scotch to float a small battleship. I'm ready! :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
For those of you that have and/or may use the freeze dried foods - Your body isn't going to be used to them and may put on a little revolt. I'd suggest you stock up on stomach meds like Pepto as well as items to address constipation and diarrhea.

I'm pretty much good to go. Will go to store today for a bag of dog food and another months of meds.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Stopped at one of the local WalMart stores to buy some drywall mud, primer, sandpaper, etc. While I was there I noticed they had a full rack of N95 Particle Masks and no throngs of people buying them. At regular price. I didn't buy any either. I have them at home because I work with drywall while flipping houses so I buy them buy them in big boxes. Still it was nice to see them on the normal display rack.

I've heard they are selling out in the WalMart pharmacy area but I didn't both to look.

On a slightly different note... I did stock up on a bit more food for potentially near future use.

Not the freeze dried food. But more canned goods but this time included canned meats too. I feel better about our stores now. We have actually had more food at the house in the past. But the supply we have now is pretty good. And it's all food that we can use for normal meals so it will all be rotated through our normal foodstuffs.

The good thing about all this is that there is no need to panic buy anything.

Supply lines are still in place, the risk of infection in the US is still slim to none, anyone who wants to start putting away bits for a rainy day can do that easily without paying jacked up prices. A few extra this, a couple more of that. Maybe a couple things that are out of the ordinary. Better to have it if you need to self quarantine for 14, 30 or 45 days than to not have it and have no practical way to get it.

Bamby

The kids are the biggest soft spot this nation has. Think about it, the entire nation had now gone to conglomerate schools where the smaller local schools have been closed and shuttered. If only one or two kids come to school with any contagious disease there are 100's of other kids present to share their woes with. These in turn bring it home to every corner of the county almost overnight and within a few days we could have a epidemic on our hands.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
Starting next week I'll be refreshing my gasoline supply that I always keep on hand. Some of it is a bit long in the tooth. I was bored last week and went down to the barn to tidy up a bit and found 4 cans of 5-year old gas hidden back there. I don't know how that happened. I'm presently running it through the Gator to get rid of it. I also need to change out the gas and oil in the generators. I exercise them every 2 or 3 months but I need to get some fresh, stabilized stuff in there.

Like Melensdad, I picked up some canned foods at the grocery store for emergency use. It was the kind of stuff that I will eat when my wife is off somewhere. Since I'm not fully mobile yet and back in working trim, I may run down to the preparedness store about 12 miles away and see if they have anything that I desperately need.

I checked out in the shop and I have four N95 masks. I probably need to pick up a few more if I can find them. I have a bunch of sanding and painting to do this spring anyway so they won't go to waste.

Last edited:

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I need more bourbon.

Yup.

Just in case.

More bourbon is always better. And Luxardo cherries, sweet vermouth and some bitters. Yup. I will befriend someone who has a working ice machine.

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
I need to store more fuel especially Diesel as the generator and a lot of other equipment I have are diesel. I think I am going to look for a used farm tank, the kind on legs with gravity feed a 300 gallon one would be nice and than I can buy the farm diesel too ( cheaper with no road taxes ) I don't know about storing much gas as it goes bad fast and is more dangerous to have around. I could also use some more canned meat. Marty

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
Marty, I don't know where you're at but if you're out in the country in any shape or form and have diesel equipment, get an agricultural exemption. You can't use the red diesel on the road but for running ag equipment and generators, it's great.

We have a 300 gallon gravity discharge tank at the farm but at the house I use 55 gallon drums. Don't ask me why but I started off with one drum many years ago and just kept on going down that road.

Most of my equipment around the house is now diesel but I still have to keep gas for the Gator and the generators. It's a real pain in the butt having to rotate that stuff. I usually keep between 30 and 50 gallons of gas for the generators but when I get my whole house back-up generator installed this year that'll drop down to about 5 gallons … I hope.

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
If you lived closer, I would give you a 300 gal. gravity diesel tank and stand. I have two laying on the ground now.
Machines I use have fuel tanks of over 200, and some are to tall for the tank stands to work by gravity. I would hate to say how many of these went to salvage yards in the mid West..

Some cut off the end and use them as a large burn barrel, and they last a good while...

Look and you will find them. Ask a California farmer. I bet the same thing happened out there..

I am converting my portable gen set to run a Hartz 35hp diesel for the reason of fuel life myself.

Regards, Kirk

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
I am converting my portable gen set to run a Hartz 35hp diesel for the reason of fuel life myself.

Regards, Kirk

I have two gas generators, one is an old Craftsman model that I bought 20 years ago and the other is a Yamaha inverter that I bought to power the 5th wheel. Both are on the small side but can power what I need to power at the house. The only reason that I keep 50 gallons of gas around is to keep the generators running for a week during an outage and we haven't had one that long in ages. Rotating gasoline is a pain in the butt. Hopefully, getting the whole house back-up generator will cure that problem.

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
I have two gas generators, one is an old Craftsman model that I bought 20 years ago and the other is a Yamaha inverter that I bought to power the 5th wheel. Both are on the small side but can power what I need to power at the house. The only reason that I keep 50 gallons of gas around is to keep the generators running for a week during an outage and we haven't had one that long in ages. Rotating gasoline is a pain in the butt. Hopefully, getting the whole house back-up generator will cure that problem.

In my opinion diesel implements are the only way to go. I didn't play with diesel until I bought a boat with turbo diesels. Since then I switched to diesel generators and when I get another tractor it will be diesel too. They can sit forever and start right up not to mention 10kw yanmar generator 1/2 gallon per hour and a 6kw I have at the cabin about 1/4 gallon per hour its pull start and starts better than any gas one I ever had especially after its a year old and the carburetor screwed from the ethanol gas. Thanks for the offers of tanks if I was a little closer I would take you guys up on it. Im sure I can find something on craigslist. Marty

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
Im headed to Costco to pick up a few things that will finish off.

1- several cases of canned meat
2-several cases of canned vegetables
3- Lots of T/P
4- 5 bags of rice and flour
5- salt/pepper
6- peroxide
7- vinegar
Just heard on the radio while driving that Iran got 2 that tested positive they both died the same day also some in Africa. I was at Home Depot earlier not a dust mask or face shield in the store. I think I will fill a couple 55 gallon drums with diesel too. Its all stuff that can be consumed and rotated out if nothing happens but if I wait until something does happen it will be like the dust masks there won't be any and at that point I really wouldn't want to travel to a city to get it anyway.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
"Iran got 2 that tested positive they both died the same day"

I'm guessing government sponsored murder.

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
When do you know when it time to lockdown? For me I don't look to the authorities to tell us too much as historically governments tend to suppress information to suppress panic. Signs for me is when you see government agencies shuttering, like schools , post office etc. South Korea is now infected and telling there citizens to stay home. I feel right now where I am there is nothing to worry about but I am in CA. Sanctuary cities and evacuees from around the world are quarantined within 50 miles and things can change over night. For now I am going to stay away from there. Marty

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
When do you know when it time to lockdown? ...

Good question and clearly up to the individual families to figure out how soon they want to hunker down. Some of that will be based on the supplies the you have on hand and what you don't have on hand too.

Wuhan China has been a hot spot since early December, we are now nearing the end of February. That is 3 months for them and there are no credible reports that an end is in sight for the people in that area.

Individuals have recovered. Some are still being treated. A smaller % have died. But the area is still a ghost town.

So how long will it take until its "safe to go outside" after an infection spread starts up in your area? Looks like a minimum of 3 months based on what we see in Wuhan but I suspect it will be 6 months or longer in Wuhan because they let it get out of control. Hopefully in Western nations it will be contained quicker? Hopefully entire major cities won't become infection zones. Scientists have also had 3 months to work on vaccines and treatments that may potentially lead to a cure, and by the time it his your home town maybe they will have been researching this for 6 to 9 months and working on treatments? Or much longer?

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
Good question and clearly up to the individual families to figure out how soon they want to hunker down. Some of that will be based on the supplies the you have on hand and what you don't have on hand too.

Wuhan China has been a hot spot since early December, we are now nearing the end of February. That is 3 months for them and there are no credible reports that an end is in sight for the people in that area.

Individuals have recovered. Some are still being treated. A smaller % have died. But the area is still a ghost town.

So how long will it take until its "safe to go outside" after an infection spread starts up in your area? Looks like a minimum of 3 months based on what we see in Wuhan but I suspect it will be 6 months or longer in Wuhan because they let it get out of control. Hopefully in Western nations it will be contained quicker? Hopefully entire major cities won't become infection zones. Scientists have also had 3 months to work on vaccines and treatments that may potentially lead to a cure, and by the time it his your home town maybe they will have been researching this for 6 to 9 months and working on treatments? Or much longer?

Went to S/F yesterday to pick up the mini mini van. Not everyone but I saw people wearing masks on the street. I went to one specific place was there for 45 minutes didn't get to close to anyone then used hand sanitizer in the truck as soon as I got back in. And thats another good question you have, not only when to hunker down but how long? Like you said its already been 3 months in Wuhan and still going strong. With the supplies I have my family could go about 4 months on the mountain and longer if we start eating the wildlife there, water is unlimited as well as firewood. That would really suck for someone to hunker down just to have to come out at some point because the supplies are exhausted. Another thing for people that would have to shelter in place in a high population density area is the potential to get infected just breathing the air. I read that its known to be transmitted through the air for a good distance, thats how its being transmitted in apartment buildings in China. Its suggested that people get a hepa filter hook it to a wet vac and filter the air coming from outside pressurizing the room so air can not come in except through the filter.