• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Suzuki mini truck on tracks

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
It Lives!

Attachments

• IMG_0489.jpg
    IMG_0489.jpg
    237.2 KB · Views: 932
  • IMG_0488.jpg
    IMG_0488.jpg
    210.2 KB · Views: 4,669
  • IMG_0486.MOV
    1.6 MB · Views: 238
  • IMG_0487.MOV
    2.1 MB · Views: 221

alryA

Some grooming guys tried them and they didn't do very well. Not enough ponies and many have manual trannies. So they'd be going up some hill and need to shift. I'm not a fan of camso either.

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
Some grooming guys tried them and they didn't do very well. Not enough ponies and many have manual trannies. So they'd be going up some hill and need to shift. I'm not a fan of camso either.

It seems to have a lot of power for what I am going to use it for. All of the mini trucks are not created equal. some do not have 4-low and lockers they have a granny low 1st gear and all the other gears are hi range ( I don't think that would be conducive to pulling heavy objects up and down hills, 1st. gear too low and the other gears too high ). Mine has 4-hi,4-lo and lockers. It is a cabin access machine not to be abused. As for the Camso tracks I got them on a trade deal. I have a question you said you don't like Camso tracks but every picture you have posted of tracks look to be Camso??I looked at the Soucy tracks they are very heavy around 140# each but look to be built well. Everything has its place and I'm sure the guys grooming would be happier with a snow cat rather than a quad but costs get in the way. I still have my Tucker if I find it won't do the steep and deep but right now I am optimistic. Marty

Bannedjoe

Even though I grew up in the Minnasoda frozen tundra, I don't know fuckall from these things, but I will give you a large hats off for such a conversion!
I'll bet it meets your expectations and needs.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
It looks bad ass. Nice work.
Can't wait to hear how it performs on your property.

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
Today was maintenance day, changed oil, added antifreeze, and some prevenative maintenance on the tracks. I watched a video on maintenance of the Camso tracks. Basic maintinance, track tension double checked lug nuts etc. and one item I think most ignore or just don't know. It is required maintenance to take the caps off of each wheel clean and add a film of grease. the bearings are sealed but the bearing shell and the main drive wheel housing is steel subject to corrosion. The grease is intended as a water barrier if water gets under the cap. I think it could be one of those things that never gets done like changing your automatic transmission fluid and filter every 20k miles. Doesn't seem like a big deal until you are rebuilding it. Also almost every Tracked UTV video especially with a RZR they are running wide open and jumping getting big air, its the first thing you see in the video not to do. Then the same guy gets on his computer and bashes the equipment after the tracks, machine or both are trashed. If I can swing it with work load I plan to take it to the mountain at the end of next week. I will report back with video. I will be the test dummy for this concept and give an honest of a review as I can. Marty

Attachments

• IMG_0498.jpg
    IMG_0498.jpg
    121.7 KB · Views: 589
  • IMG_0499.jpg
    IMG_0499.jpg
    162.3 KB · Views: 607

1boringguy

GOLD Site Supporter
Idk anything about these trucks or tracks other than a buddy who puts tracks on his RZR in the winter does a lot of rebuilding every year because it's just not built heavy enough.
Whatever holds up better as a groomer is probably the tougher, but big difference in service duty between a groomer and personal cabin access. Looks cool, look forward to the field report.

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
Idk anything about these trucks or tracks other than a buddy who puts tracks on his RZR in the winter does a lot of rebuilding every year because it's just not built heavy enough.
Whatever holds up better as a groomer is probably the tougher, but big difference in service duty between a groomer and personal cabin access. Looks cool, look forward to the field report.

You hit the nail on the head, If I was going to use something for grooming or some other type of all day every day commercial work I would not be using any ATV, UTV or mini truck on tracks unless you accept the fact they were not intended for this type of service and are willing to do the extra maintenance and if that is the case don't whine about it or bash the equipment. Everything is relative don't buy a $15,000.00 Ranger put tracks on it for another 5k and think it will do what a $300,000.00 Pisten Bully will do. Then be disappointed when it doesn't. Marty

road squawker

GOLD Site Supporter
... edit... required maintenance to take the caps off of each wheel clean and add a film of grease. the bearings are sealed but the bearing shell and the main drive wheel housing is steel subject to corrosion. The grease is intended as a water barrier if water gets under the cap.....

Can a spring loaded BEARING BUDDY fit on the housing ?

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
Can a spring loaded BEARING BUDDY fit on the housing ?

Good thought but the bearings are sealed the grease is just to keep the water off of the metal part. The plastic plug just pops out with a screw driver not very difficult. I did all of them in 10 minutes.

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
Hi all, I finally made it to the mountain. I was expecting a lot of snow but again the same conditions as last time. mud, rocks and some snow. tomorrow I plan to go higher up hill to some deeper snow to test it out. but for now its meeting my expectations. I'm at the cabin and the Tucker is on the hauler again. Marty

Attachments

• IMG_0564.jpg
    IMG_0564.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 527
  • IMG_0556.jpg
    IMG_0556.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 532
  • IMG_0555-2.jpg
    IMG_0555-2.jpg
    169.1 KB · Views: 505

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
Hi all, we found some deeper snow to play in, so far nothing has stopped it. The second video it doesn't look like it but the hill is at least 30 degrees with a couple feet of snow, it went right to the top still not using the lockers. The snow is wet and heavy so thats the best snow for traction but I have never seen it any other way even 10'. Last year was colder up here so all the snow accumulated all winter to 10' with 20' drifts. The locals call it Sierra cement. It works for me and I think I am going to let the Tucker go to someone who needs it. As a side benefit the bed is bigger on the Suzuki than the Tucker and in 2 trips up the mountain road thats 20 miles I used 2 gallons of gas. Marty

Attachments

• IMG_0583.jpg
    IMG_0583.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 499
  • IMG_0585.jpg
    IMG_0585.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 468
  • IMG_0580.MOV
    2.3 MB · Views: 245
  • IMG_0582.MOV
    1.3 MB · Views: 246

alryA

The problem with Camso instructions to keep the bearings lubed is most or all of the water contamination comes in from the back side which is the stud side. Not the cap side. They do say "spray back side with quality lubricant" but I'm skeptical of it doing much good.

Today was maintenance day, changed oil, added antifreeze, and some prevenative maintenance on the tracks. I watched a video on maintenance of the Camso tracks. Basic maintinance, track tension double checked lug nuts etc. and one item I think most ignore or just don't know. It is required maintenance to take the caps off of each wheel clean and add a film of grease. the bearings are sealed but the bearing shell and the main drive wheel housing is steel subject to corrosion. The grease is intended as a water barrier if water gets under the cap. I think it could be one of those things that never gets done like changing your automatic transmission fluid and filter every 20k miles. Doesn't seem like a big deal until you are rebuilding it. Also almost every Tracked UTV video especially with a RZR they are running wide open and jumping getting big air, its the first thing you see in the video not to do. Then the same guy gets on his computer and bashes the equipment after the tracks, machine or both are trashed. If I can swing it with work load I plan to take it to the mountain at the end of next week. I will report back with video. I will be the test dummy for this concept and give an honest of a review as I can. Marty

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
The problem with Camso instructions to keep the bearings lubed is most or all of the water contamination comes in from the back side which is the stud side. Not the cap side. They do say "spray back side with quality lubricant" but I'm skeptical of it doing much good.

I ponder if it might be a good idea to hit that area with wd-40 both before and after use to dispel the moisture?

pixie

SUPER Site Supporter
I think it would be more help to spray that side with something thicker when everything was dry. There is a spray grease in a rattle can called Castle Endura. I use it on my vehicles to try to keep the frames from rusting. Amazn has it.

I have a set of Tatou tracks and now that you've mentioned it, I'm going to do that.

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
I personally do not like WD-40.

so is there a product out there that will seal and dispel water? I think the purpose is to keep corrosion out of the bearing bore area that is metal. To me grease can seal and coat but unless you dis assemble it you can't get any water intrusion out. WD 40 can dispel the water but not seal or coat. I will research that. seems that corrosion will take them out faster than wearing them out. Marty

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Fluid Film is a fantastic product. I have not used WD-40 since learning about it a few years ago. Try it, you'll like it.

Cidertom

Chionophile
GOLD Site Supporter
for the seal and prevent lube use I either use Boeshield (boeshield.com) or Sprayon lu710 Waxy Film Protectant. I've been happy with both. I used to use Jd "mouseout" but they stopped carrying it. I think the waxy film is a tad better for season to season protection, and the Boeshield for in use protection.

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
Hi all, I am thinking about another project. The same guy that I got the Suzuki mini truck from has a 1988 mittsubisi mini van, it has a supercharged engine 5 speed with hi and lo 4X4 just like the truck and I can get it for the same price $5k I was thinking of putting the tracks on the van for winter use as it.
1- is a van
2- has rear seats that fold up and down for passengers or cargo
3- even with the seats up there is a good sized cargo area and also luggage or gear can go up top.
It would just be more comfortable than the truck with the wife, dog in the front. it even has a large powered sun roof.
Then put tires on the Suzuki for summer use. Also later if another set of tracks come up for a reasonable price I could put them on the truck too. Opinions please. Marty

Attachments

• IMG_0595.jpg
    IMG_0595.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 476
  • IMG_0596.jpg
    IMG_0596.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 464
  • IMG_0598-2.jpg
    IMG_0598-2.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 477
  • IMG_0599.jpg
    IMG_0599.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 442

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
Just do it.

Made a deal on it. Got it for $4500.00. I will have to plan to go get it, its about 1.5 hours away and I am a little busy with work so it will have to be a Saturday either this one or next. Marty

rockhead

Gonna have to get the moderator to dump these junk posts, seriously two tracked vehicles in 4x4 section ???!!! :hammer:

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
Hi all, picked up the mini mini van yesterday. I cleaned it up and looked it over today. The strut tower bolt pattern seem to be the same as the Suzuki so that will make the front lift kit easy, in the rear its going to take a 3" spacer block instead of spring shackles. I will get some parts ordered and start making the anti rotation parts to put the tracks on it. Then I will put 26" UTV tires and wheels on the Suzuki for summer Mountain use and the van for winter. No more dog in my lap. I will post as I go. Marty

Attachments

• IMG_0630.jpg
    IMG_0630.jpg
    261.3 KB · Views: 361

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
Did you talk to the dog about this? I know my dog preferred the lap position!

Im sure dads little boy enjoys the front more to but my nuts don't. I have to tie him in the back seat in my daily driver, his 100# ass almost killed us a couple times by sticking his leg thru the steering wheel while trying to get something he saw out the window.