• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

So exactly how did we wind up with a bunch of homeless people on the streets?

Bamby

It's all the Supreme's fault....

In a new ruling, the Supreme Court effectively mandated continued legal tolerance for homelessness across major cities on the West Coast of the United States.

The 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals recently ruled that Americans have a right to sleep on the streets and that it amounts to "cruel and unusual punishment" under the Constitution to levy fines based on such behavior.

That court -- a repository of stupidity and radicalism, the Mos Eisley of our nation's federal bench -- decided that writing a $25 ticket to people "camping" on the sidewalk is precisely the sort of brutality the Founding Fathers sought to prohibit in stopping torture under the Eighth Amendment.

You could start by encouraging outrageously invasive, monopolistic and even bogus "businesses" to concentrate in one area, driving up the real estate prices to the point that no ordinary human who isn't endowed with $200,000+ salaries and stock options can afford a place to live.

You could then expect those very people you displaced to make your coffee, hamburgers and staff stores for you -- while they have no way to afford a place to live.

And then, when they can't afford a place to live, can't take a shower (as they have no place to live), can't wash their clothes (ditto) and shortly begin to stink like an ape, they get fired -- so now they not only have no place to live they have no job either.

What percentage of people who you do that crap to do you think might decide that drowning their emotions in a bottle (whether pill or liquor) or, perhaps, shoving a needle in their arm might be a decent option to dull the pain you inflicted on them? It's not like you want them to take one of the other options available to them -- like walking into said business, dragging the owners, directors and "high fautin" employees out by their hair and eating them in the middle of the street, right?

It never ceases to amaze me to hear all the rich scolds out there, who never have to deal with any of this, have never been homeless, have never slept a single night in their own car that was a complete piece of crap and had about a half-gallon of gas in it because they had nowhere else to go fail to recognize that they caused it with their own intentional acts and, that for everyone on the right side of the bell curve of humanity when it comes to skills and intelligence there are an equal number of those on the left.

But here's the problem: Cities that have attempted to provide increased housing for the homeless, despite some early successes, have seen their problems return. Cities like Seattle and Los Angeles have attempted to build new housing. It's been an expensive failure.

Really? How many such "new housing" developments, on a per-person basis, have gone up and at what cost? How many are inhabitable today? How many can be paid for with no more than 25% of one's after-tax income if their income is limited to doing a minimum-wage job? An effective zero. At the same time how many of such minimum wage jobs exist, especially in places like Seattle and LA where they hiked the minimum wage to $15 and myriad businesses both closed and automated, firing said workers, in response?

Under these circumstances many such people decided to say "oh **** both you and myself!" and destroy only themselves, which again I remind you was not their only option; they could have decided to murder every last one of the dickwads that created these conditions under which everyone who is a citizen on the left side of the curve was forced out of employment and housing either by elimination of their job entirely or the importation of millions of illegal invaders who took what remained while at the same time not only the acquisition (sale) cost of a home but the other fixed costs of housing, including property taxes, utilities, appliances, maintenance, bridge tolls, medical care and other "mandatory" costs have skyrocketed.

So now, having decided to destroy themselves while leaving those who largely imposed these conditions on said persons alone now Shapiro proposes to issue tickets and either fine or jail them for becoming the victim of a scheme put in place by those who he trumpets and supports on a daily basis while they have financially raped these individuals to within an inch of their lives!

IMHO the Supremes got this one right, but I'll go even further: Were I to ever be on a jury where someone in such a circumstance marched into one of those high-fouting corporate offices where such abuses were rooted, or a politician's office in which policies were passed and promoted, dragged some random person in there out by their hair and held a BBQ in the street I hereby promise to vote NOT GUILTY -- and not by reason of insanity either.

By reason of just retribution.

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
It's all the Supreme's fault....

In a new ruling, the Supreme Court effectively mandated continued legal tolerance for homelessness across major cities on the West Coast of the United States.

The 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals recently ruled that Americans have a right to sleep on the streets and that it amounts to "cruel and unusual punishment" under the Constitution to levy fines based on such behavior.

That court -- a repository of stupidity and radicalism, the Mos Eisley of our nation's federal bench -- decided that writing a $25 ticket to people "camping" on the sidewalk is precisely the sort of brutality the Founding Fathers sought to prohibit in stopping torture under the Eighth Amendment.

You could start by encouraging outrageously invasive, monopolistic and even bogus "businesses" to concentrate in one area, driving up the real estate prices to the point that no ordinary human who isn't endowed with $200,000+ salaries and stock options can afford a place to live.

You could then expect those very people you displaced to make your coffee, hamburgers and staff stores for you -- while they have no way to afford a place to live.

And then, when they can't afford a place to live, can't take a shower (as they have no place to live), can't wash their clothes (ditto) and shortly begin to stink like an ape, they get fired -- so now they not only have no place to live they have no job either.

What percentage of people who you do that crap to do you think might decide that drowning their emotions in a bottle (whether pill or liquor) or, perhaps, shoving a needle in their arm might be a decent option to dull the pain you inflicted on them? It's not like you want them to take one of the other options available to them -- like walking into said business, dragging the owners, directors and "high fautin" employees out by their hair and eating them in the middle of the street, right?

It never ceases to amaze me to hear all the rich scolds out there, who never have to deal with any of this, have never been homeless, have never slept a single night in their own car that was a complete piece of crap and had about a half-gallon of gas in it because they had nowhere else to go fail to recognize that they caused it with their own intentional acts and, that for everyone on the right side of the bell curve of humanity when it comes to skills and intelligence there are an equal number of those on the left.

But here's the problem: Cities that have attempted to provide increased housing for the homeless, despite some early successes, have seen their problems return. Cities like Seattle and Los Angeles have attempted to build new housing. It's been an expensive failure.

Really? How many such "new housing" developments, on a per-person basis, have gone up and at what cost? How many are inhabitable today? How many can be paid for with no more than 25% of one's after-tax income if their income is limited to doing a minimum-wage job? An effective zero. At the same time how many of such minimum wage jobs exist, especially in places like Seattle and LA where they hiked the minimum wage to $15 and myriad businesses both closed and automated, firing said workers, in response?

Under these circumstances many such people decided to say "oh **** both you and myself!" and destroy only themselves, which again I remind you was not their only option; they could have decided to murder every last one of the dickwads that created these conditions under which everyone who is a citizen on the left side of the curve was forced out of employment and housing either by elimination of their job entirely or the importation of millions of illegal invaders who took what remained while at the same time not only the acquisition (sale) cost of a home but the other fixed costs of housing, including property taxes, utilities, appliances, maintenance, bridge tolls, medical care and other "mandatory" costs have skyrocketed.

So now, having decided to destroy themselves while leaving those who largely imposed these conditions on said persons alone now Shapiro proposes to issue tickets and either fine or jail them for becoming the victim of a scheme put in place by those who he trumpets and supports on a daily basis while they have financially raped these individuals to within an inch of their lives!

IMHO the Supremes got this one right, but I'll go even further: Were I to ever be on a jury where someone in such a circumstance marched into one of those high-fouting corporate offices where such abuses were rooted, or a politician's office in which policies were passed and promoted, dragged some random person in there out by their hair and held a BBQ in the street I hereby promise to vote NOT GUILTY -- and not by reason of insanity either.

By reason of just retribution.

Where this story misses the mark is the unfortunate loss of a job, high housing costs or some other external bad luck is responsible for homelessness in cities. B.S. Homlessness in cities are caused by druggies and the tolerance, facilitation and just bad ideas by city and some state lawmakers. Marty

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
The so called homeless epidemic is a direct result of the opiod crisis. They go hand in hand. Not sure of the statistics or even if there are any but my guess would be over 90% of the homeless are drug addicted or some form of substance abuse.

These people have made their own bed as far as I am concerned.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Odd how the Homeless situation is noticed by the Media when a Republican is in the Oval office. The homeless seem to disappear under Democrats. But wait, don't most of the homeless crisis happen in Democratic controlled cities and States?

Weird right?

Providing the Homeless with housing, food, clothing and medical care for free is actually giving them sustenance without accountability. The SCOTUS says they have a right to sleep on the streets, but it didn't claim society must foot the bill for their welfare. I say let them sleep on the streets if that is their choice. Along with all the other bad choices made which put them there. But making that an acceptable choice is foolish and frankly should not be considered an acceptable option provided at obligation by the state.

The programs were supported because the Liberals guilted us with the obligations to provide. If you build it they will come. Liberal government management did so. And they came, in droves. Fed, housed, and cared for by the mercy of the State. Has it occurred to anyone that is where liberals want the entire population to be?

Last edited:

Bamby

The so called homeless epidemic is a direct result of the opiod crisis. They go hand in hand. Not sure of the statistics or even if there are any but my guess would be over 90% of the homeless are drug addicted or some form of substance abuse.

These people have made their own bed as far as I am concerned.

Where this story misses the mark is the unfortunate loss of a job, high housing costs or some other external bad luck is responsible for homelessness in cities. B.S. Homlessness in cities are caused by druggies and the tolerance, facilitation and just bad ideas by city and some state lawmakers. Marty

This is so much what I hate about the hard right. If the solution to so many of life's complex problems were only so simple. So the solution is what?? It costs roughly 30 GPY to keep a inmate the last I read anyway. So should big fenced in fema camps be built to house them in and to attempt to keep the drugs out of their hands.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
This is so much what I hate about the hard right. If the solution to so many of life's complex problems were only so simple. So the solution is what?? It costs roughly 30 GPY to keep a inmate the last I read anyway. So should big fenced in fema camps be built to house them in and to attempt to keep the drugs out of their hands.

Of course not. Building anything, structures or programs, that incentivize being useless will not solve the problem. It will increase it.

As it has done.

Back during the Clinton years, we had homeless. Lots of them. I saw the "will work for food" panhandlers daily. So we set up a private program where my company would hire them.
I built men and women's showers, nice bathrooms, so they could bathe. We let them sleep in our parking lot. I set aside a $6,000.00 fund which, after a few weeks, we would advance $500.00 loan so these people could get housing, new clothes, down payment on a car.

Within the first year, we had exhausted the loan fund, with virtually no payments received to refresh the account. The bathrooms were trashed, and none of these "homeless 'cause they lost their jobs to greedy capitalism" were still employed.

Last year we had a couple working for us about a year. They lost their housing and were living in their new Chevy Cruz, on my parking lot. I loaned them my FIL's house for two or three months till they could get back on their feet. Six months later the house was trashed, they stopped showing up for work and would not leave. I had to forcibly evict them..

Yes, there are real people, who through no fault of their own have endured real tragedies. They need a support system. Those that honestly have a desire to recover and regain should have a path to succeed. But in my experience, they are the exception, not the rule, in the population of so called chronic homeless.

Theoretically,it is probably best for local governments to do this. But in practice, few, if any, have ever done it well.

Last edited:

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter

You can hate me and my ilk all you care too. Does not affect me one iota.
No hard feelings either. I just do not give a damn, truly.

My wife and I worked hard all our lives, busted our asses to get ahead. Many, many days the two of us were separated for days and weeks on end while I was on some project a long ways from home. We sacrificed, we scrimped and we cut corners to save and invest. Hell, we did not even own a new automobile until we were married 34 years. We have never used drugs, have not smoked in over 30 years and never abused alcohol. In other words, we are self reliant and very responsible.

Why in hell should I now hand over my money to help support these dregs of society that are not even smart enough to come in out of the rain and even make rudimentary attempts at improving their lot.

Our charitable contributions are faith based only. Franklin Graham's Samaritan's Purse is our favorite. We do not trust the leftist controlled government with our money.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Back in the early seventies, I caught the boss stealing and reported it to management. I got fired.

The official cause for termination? Stealing. Well the stuff was missing and they had to blame somebody.
Work was hard enough to find without that stigma. ( which was later cleared up when later, they offered me HIS job.)

The wife's salary didn't pay the bills. Everybody ion Chicago told me to go to the gubmit. NOPE! Absolutely against my nature. But the mortgage was due, and utilities to pay.

So, I picked up a hammer, and a shovel, and remodeled houses and poured driveways. If it's your fault, or not your fault, your responsibility to family, neighbors and the community, is to be productive and pay your way.

I was raised under the Pay to Play mentality. Not the Clinton version,; the Work ethic version. You want to eat, work for it. You want toys to play with, WORK HARDER!

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter

Really, this is my life history. I was born into a basically white trash family with an alcoholic Dad, we didn't have much growing up. When I got out of high school in 1976 you couldn't even buy a job in Michigan where I came from. No one gave me anything. I went to Los Angeles in 1980, when a friend and I left Michigan we had an old car and $600.00 between us. When we hit LA. we were able to get a job in the trades after we passed a welding certification test. I raised hell there until 1988 when I moved to northern Ca. I went to work for an industrial contractor where I climbed the ladder ( no one got the ladder or held the ladder) after working for them 15 years I had a good name in the industry and started my own industrial contracting business in 2003. I am looking to retire in a few years and if I live long enough I will enjoy what I worked for. I have 3 kids they are all doing well and my son will take over the business. I did not make it easy he started lower than whale shit yelled at every day and learned the business, the other son is a county Sheriff and my daughter has a degree in finance and has a very good job. Is that just luck or did I work my ass off for more than 30 years while raising a family? What I hate about Liberals is they think they should have what I have and not work for it. Do drugs instead of the right thing and impose themselves on others while blaming others for there situation. As for the homeless the only way to fix it now is move to a rural area and let the dumb asses that think its compassionate stay behind to pay for it and live it. In 1968 there were riots in Detroit Mi. businesses closed and everyone moved to rural areas and let them have it. It still looks like it did in 1968 I was there just last year. And if anyone doesn't like that I don't care. Marty

road squawker

GOLD Site Supporter
I saw an article last week.. don't have a link, but, it said that the number of "homeless" people in Ca was more than the other 49 states combined.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
I saw an article last week.. don't have a link, but, it said that the number of "homeless" people in Ca was more than the other 49 states combined.

Like I said, if you build it they will come.
Progressive California liberals have made it so.

The homeless live on the largess of the Government paid for by the taxed efforts of working people and the token guilt of rich. It is not how socialism works. It is how socialism spawns. Socialism is where the Government is the source of all provisions and rights.
The opposite of our founding principles.

If you wish to blame it on drugs,,,fine. If you want to blame it on illegals also fine. Let me repeat something I have said for years. When people insist we should not control who and what crosses our borders, with ICE and a wall, ask them what it is they do not want stopped.

Bamby

The whole problem is larger than any one person can absorb. I know the few members here were for the most part the workingest fools that ever walked Gods green earth and made everyone around them look like backsliders. I worked with some that id you'd here them talk carried the entire place on their work alone, so I'm familiar with the bullshit.

This is from another forum: Company Transitioning Jobs to India It's basically about IT jobs that they've been encouraging people to attend collage and learn. So now heres some folks out 10's of thousands of dollars out of school and can't apply the education and now has a monthly collage loan bill to pay before they can put a roof over their head.

Anyway it ain't just drugs there are a lot of other maybe even larger issues contributing to the problem.

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
The whole problem is larger than any one person can absorb. I know the few members here were for the most part the workingest fools that ever walked Gods green earth and made everyone around them look like backsliders. I worked with some that id you'd here them talk carried the entire place on their work alone, so I'm familiar with the bullshit.

This is from another forum: Company Transitioning Jobs to India It's basically about IT jobs that they've been encouraging people to attend collage and learn. So now heres some folks out 10's of thousands of dollars out of school and can't apply the education and now has a monthly collage loan bill to pay before they can put a roof over their head.

Anyway it ain't just drugs there are a lot of other maybe even larger issues contributing to the problem.

There is a skilled labor and truck driver shortage in this country and the un employment is at the lowest level ever. You do not need a degree for either one one those positions But you have to pass a drug test and a back ground check. So there are plenty of jobs for people that do not have a degree. All I hear are excuses. Marty